1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

No Horses

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Mardragon, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Mardragon

Mardragon Chieftain

Hi, Trying the mod again and enjoying it. The mod seems more stable than I remember, only CTD I have had is when I start minimizing and I can control that.

Anyways, I know I only scratch the surface in knowledge about this mod, and enjoy trying to figure out how to get to where I want to go.

I currently play a game 12k turn game got towards 3k now, and there are no horses. I got polynesian rafts and have most of the world mapped. No horses. I found that odd. Is it possible I have turned them off? I can build Copper Spearmen and arsonists, build proper Walls and its starting to look like a civilization, I started 200k BC. Am I wrong expecting horse units should be in play before my time in the game? I do not see them in the hands of my opposition either, no horse animals seen on the continents. I believe I got horse that way in older games with horse trainer. I am running hunters double figure lvl in 3 of the 4 major continents.

I would expect horse barbarians atleast would have ravaged my lands ahead of me getting proper walls up :) I don't want to look to far up the tech tree, I like seeing tech come step by step without preknowledge:) So I havent investigated ahead.

Just had a moment at work, and thought I could ask you guys if this is normal, about the horse resource. I believe historically it would be out there by now in my game, for someone atleast. I can ride pretty much anything it appears, but not horses :D

I believe I am running the SVN variant a few weeks back.

Cheers for an awesome mod

2. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Horse resource should be fairly common at the point of the game that you are in, the first horse units could even appear as early as late prehistoric era.
    What mapscript did you use to create your map?

There is some randomness in how many of what resource some mapscripts place, but the horse bonus is one of those that mapscripts usually prioritize placing due to it being a strategical resource.
    If there are no horse bonus on the map, no wild horse animals will spawn either...
    Perhaps we should let wild horse units spawn on certain plots without the horse bonus? Better solution is imo to patch whatever code loophole that can make a mapscript not place a strategical bonus.

3. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

All land animals including horses are revealed by Scavenging.

Mapscript may be outdated or just broken.

4. Mardragon7

Mardragon7 Chieftain

*EDIT*It is still on it when I looked to make a new game: C2C_Planet Generator_0_68

I am pretty confident I choose Planet Generator 0,86 or something like that and maybe Giant size, custom_continent. Is there a way I can see it now for certain? I belive I did a search that stated 18 civs and Giant and snail was inside what was recommended. I did quite a few adjustment below map size in the generator, but no adjustment to the resources options iirc

18 civs, Noble.

Added quite a few of the C2C options that didnt have a "warning" message box on them.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  5. Mardragon7

Mardragon7 Chieftain

Here is the save file if it is of interest to any of you. I believe there are some issues with a few of the civilizations not expanding, but more than half is doing alright and is likely to challenge me.

This might be of interest, but you guys prob know it already. I noticed brazil has some odd thing going on where they have stopped at 2 citiies with 95 enforcers in one of them. To be fair, I have harassed them with spy units, so I'll cut them some slack with their overreaction. :) Holy Roman, Spain, India, Iroquis has not expanded either. Comparable to the rest atleast.

Regardless I am going to have to restart I think, I kinda want horses in my game, and there is likely no way to save this file.

If we think the map script is the problem, is there one that you guys have played recently that you know is fine and could recommend? I was very happy with the way this map looked and played. I'll be doing Giant, Snail, 18 civ, slower research again. I like some time to mull over each tech before the next come.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

6. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

C2C_World is regularly updated and maintained, try this one.

Mardragon7 likes this.
  7. Mardragon7

Mardragon7 Chieftain

Cheers. I will go start that one right now!

Thanks

raxo2222 likes this.
  8. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

It appears map in your save has no horse resource at all.

9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

By FAR the best map generator we have - my wife does, however, regularly report a lack of horses anywhere. However, there are games where there are horses too so it's not completely broken in that way. Otherwise, I love this map script and would just wish for a few improvements on it to make sure it's completely updated for C2C, which apparently it's not. It comes up with the best landmasses and terrain distributions though, along with the river and bonus options.

10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

IIRC, DH did a few post scripts that might be changing those horse plots out for other types without ensuring horses are somewhere else on the map since it's a post script step.

11. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I don't think I got to horses. I was working on the lesser ones like kangaroos, guinea pigs and rabbits first. The idea being to restrict them to their historical regions. If done horses would be restricted to the northern hemisphere and African sectors ie 4 out of the 6 sectors.

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

But are not horses some of the resources that some animals may replace, like kangaroos? So could it be possible that the script is getting the enforced minimum amount but then your post script is replacing some or all of those minimum amount? Or some step afterwards is somehow destroying them?

13. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I was removing kangaroos anywhere but Oceania and replacing them with cows/sheep/pigs/horses depending on where they were. That way the plot still has animals just not kangaroos. If you are using PPIO then all that stuff gets turned off anyway.

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Any theories about how we can ensure horses on this mapscript then?

15. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

You probably mean Raxo´s lattitude/longitude modmods, at least I am not aware that PPIO does something like that. And Raxo´s modmods are only meant for special maps like spacemaps, not for the typical random map.

16. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Yeah, he confused PPIO with my no/rescaled latitude mod.
    Unless you got confused, then he meant separate python file that overrides any mapscripts (or ones specified in it), that probably was overridden by PPIO.

My No/Rescaled Longitudes/Latitudes mod also removes/rescales latitude limits of resources.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  17. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

C2C_Planet_Generator was never touched by you.
    It was only added by SO at SVN 3175 and then some terrain stuff was fixed by Toffer at SVN 9149

Is that file? CvMapGeneratorUtil.py
    It may have bugs in it.

Some animals are in group: Not In New World like horses.
    So it looks like sometimes whole map counts as New World.
    This file is NOT overwritten by PPIO.

TaylorItaly likes this.
  18. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Yeah, it is.
    CvMapGeneratorUtil.placeC2CBonuses()
    Only Deer, Bison and Llama replace Kangaroos that are not in the south-east part of the map.
    In the south-east part of the map, Kangaroos replace all Deer, Bison, Horses, Donkeys, Camel, Cow, Elephants, Mammoths and Rabbits.
    Not really.

19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

And does that then mean that if the only horses ended up in the SE part of the map that all horses would be replaced AFTER the check that enforces that there's at least some, somewhere?

20. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

The post script only removes horses within a specific part of the map, it never adds them anywhere.