1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

No Huts / No Events?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by chadxo, Feb 17, 2011.

1. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

It requires modern era IIRC. It essentially destroys all units in a single water tile. No exceptions if your entire naval stack is on that tile or if it's only 1 ship.

Needless to say, having this happen while shipping a major intercontinental invasion (or reinforcement) against an AI pushing victory will cause an L.

2. vanillasine

vanillasine Warlord

ive never had it either.... woah.

3. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

:eek2: Thank you. Okay, no more events. The ones I have had have been mild by comparison, like racing for The Colossus and having the forge burn down, that kind of thing, not losing 20,000 :hammers: of invasion fleet!

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Ha...I've not encountered the Bermuda deal either. That is just insane. I would probably seriously do significant harm to my pcs and other pc in a 2 mile radius if that happened to me. The designer behind the BTS events must be a complete sadist.

5. vranasm

vranasm Deity

I think BUG+BULL limits some of the events (in the sense that they can't appear), at least I read it somewhere.

Btw when we're at it... you didn't complain in Lalibela's SG about getting cover and shock in 2 consecutive turnsets just for free...

6. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I think I heard that too, although I think the Vedics are still there. Not sure, I rarely play with them on.

Oh...I'm sure that was someone else's luck on the team :)

7. -Asterix-

-Asterix- Prince

I tend to keep huts and events on when I play very casual games just for fun at lower-than-usual difficulty settings (i.e. huge epic/marathon with tons of civs). They bring some variety to such games and don't usually hurt too much even if some bad events happen. Hell, I even wish that events would come more often and that there was more variety in those that can happen without some very special circumstances (certain religion etc.).

But on the other hand, huts and events don't really belong to HoF or XOTM games or other games where comparing results is the main thing. Some early events and for example techs from huts tend to totally destroy comparability between different strategies and players.

8. *Svart*

*Svart* Icecream Vendor

i usually play with hut/events on. I know there are several broken event, but i like some randomness. surely if barbs archers spawn i think i would wb them out.

9. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Code:
    			<OrPreReqs>
    				<PrereqTech>TECH_FLIGHT</PrereqTech>
    			</OrPreReqs>
    If it adds any consolation, you can not suffer it by simply not getting flight :D

10. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Every time I've played with events it inevitably destroys my whatever was my first improvement. No thanks.

The marriage event happens a lot and is just annoying. The only ones I like are the spy caught event, and corporation one.

11. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

Bermuda Triangle is an event where all ships in a hex disappear.

It's basically what happened to the MOngols when they tried to invade Japan in the 12th century.

I like events and huts - I even like the barb uprising ones, mainly because it acts as a brake to pure farmer's gambits.

I wish there was a bunch of simple ones for multiplayer - the minor ones are annoying, but add flavor to the game. But you really can't use them in multiplayer - someone gets cover and it's just a huge advantage.

Oaq likes this.
  12. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

Some of the more minor ones can be gamebreaking in their own right, don't tell me i'm the only one thats had 3 forest fires in a row soon after settling my capital?...

13. Mylene

Mylene Deity

Just too many retarted events, slave revolt anyone?
    It was a good idea, but very badly executed :(

Huts are a disadvantage to the player as well on Deity, because the AIs will grab most of them and your only scout/warrior is distracted from doing his job - scouting xD

14. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

About the bermuda event and Mongols ....

:nono:

The mongol fleet did not vanished in thin air in the attack you are refering ( the 2nd invasion of the Mongols to Japan ). They got some kami kaze on top, surely, but it was after the initial disembark ... and it was not total destruction.

On the barbarian events ... they would be decent if the coders of Firaxis understood the code they do ;) As they are now, you can be targetted by a barbarian event that was triggered by other player ( the targetting code does not check for nationality of the city targeted ... this is a recurrent theme on events: a lot of the events code does something that is not what what they are suposed to do ), making moot the point of having a tech lower limit for the event. Not mentioning the ridiculous scaling with map size ( Tell me exactly how can you even think on surviving a 6 archer stack ( large maps ) or worse in Huge :p )

As the code for events is today, it is absolutely impossible for events to be balanced enough for MP, even the weaker, due to the fact that there is no limit to the number of times you can have a event in a game ( or even reducing a little the odds of a event happening after occuring n times ). Imagine that you get deer in the starting ring and that you get the hunter event ( 8 F in the food bar ... a clearly weak event) 10 times in a row in the first 20 turns ( quite unlikely, but not impossible )... 80 F out of thin air that in this situation means 2 or more extra pop. Clearly a game changer . Or getting 3 or 4 times a mine cave in your first mine ( been there :( ), if you want a negative example...

15. z0wb13

z0wb13 undead

huts and events should definitely be off for any comparison games and multiplayer.

that said, i like them. i like events better than huts, because with the ais free scouts, it's basically just another handicap for the human. events tend to effect everyone equally negatively over the long run.

16. ColossusXXIII

ColossusXXIII Warlord

I think huts are broken because if you put large amounts of goodygold in the hands of the user that early, the game is pretty much already over. 300-500 gold early (which is very possible even on deity) allows the user to go 100% slider through long tech beelines, rex's, or even wars. A hut could easily yield techs like HBR, BW, IW, or even MC. HBR from turn 20 is a little ridiculous, but I suppose it would also be tough to leverage at that point in the game having to balance expansion with production.

17. Celebithil

Celebithil Warlord

While some added randomness is nice if you play casually, it simply breaks the possibility of trying to play optimally (not that there is such a thing). Civ is a game where you can calculate a lot in advance (unlike almost all other games) and for some of us that makes it especially attractive. This is less possible if you have to deal with huts and especially events (your calculation of the optimal time to switch from farm to mine is completely derailed if your forge is destroyed at some point).

@ABCD... While there is no option to turn of events except for quests, if you don't mind modding xml-files you can easily do that. In CIV4EventTriggerInfos.xml (in Civ4\BTS\Assets\XML\Events) the entry iPercentGamesActive gives the percentage of games in which the event can occur (i.e. at the beginning of the game there is a dice-roll which determines if the event can occur at all that game). Putting that at 0 will remove the event from the game. (Note that the implementation of the events is such that the number of events you get is independent of the number of possible events (unless no events are possible), so the remaining events will occur more often. You don't really notice this if you remove one or two events, but removing all events but quests will ensure everybody gets the quests almost as soon as they satisfy the preconditions to it). (And the usual disclaimer: Make backups of files before editing them, put edited files in CustomAssets etc.)

18. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

FfH has made changes to the event trigger system so that events can occur once per game or repeat. Now not being knowledgable enough about XML, I don't know how to do it, but it is in the Ffh XML and I have edited the event triggers to my own taste in FfH. Perhaps a similar system could be implemented in standard BtS for people who like events. (Although since learning of the Bermuda Triangle event I will now turn them off in standard BtS. For FfH, it seems right to have them on.)