No Indonesia Strategy?

I'm having trouble in every aspect. What to build? What to beeline? How to get largest population in 1300?

Despotism + Citizenship + Redistribution. Build granary, aqueduct, forge in cities with food resources. Grow your 3 core cities to the happiness limit in 1300 AD.

I also train some workers(before buildings) at game start with Manorialism, then switch to Caste System.

I never finished a Indonesia game though. Always got 2/3 UHV goals and abandon the game eventually because it takes forever to play into the 20th century and nothing really happens.

Despotism + Citizenship + Redistribution. Build granary, aqueduct, forge in cities with food resources. Grow your 3 core cities to the happiness limit in 1300 AD.

I also train some workers(before buildings) at game start with Manorialism, then switch to Caste System.

I never finished a Indonesia game though. Always got 2/3 UHV goals and abandon the game eventually because it takes forever to play into the 20th century and nothing really happens.
Pretty much this, and I usually send a initial settler to Japan to found a city near the gold and incense there. This cripple them a little, since they are one of the major competitors in population and helps you achieve the resource UHV later on

UHV 2 is harder in recent versions because sugar and whale are no longer considered as happiness resources. You have spices, gems in core, dye in historical area, gold and silk in the Philippines and silver in Australia. Aside from these 6, you need 4 more from trade and war. There's tea and cotton near indie Caltutta, and you can try to acquire incense/ivory/fur/wine by trade. Mughal is usually a good trading partner, and iron can get you incense from Tibet if available, otherwise you're going to pay handsomely for the deal.

Like catacau said, if you managed to steal a city from Japan things can be easier. Either tea or the pearl helps.

Last edited:
Very good advice. I also build my capital on Jakarta, since that city needs the extra happiness more, and it makes it a commerce powerhouse if an academy is built on it. I also make sure to rush for Borobodur.

But that Japanese invasion strategy. Good stuff. It'll also make their UP more useful.

Once I get galleys, I'm gonna build on the Strait of Magellan, and South Africa. Anywhere to get maximum ships in my territory.

Any advice on Dutch trading company invasion?

It'll also make their UP more useful.

Once I get galleys, I'm gonna build on the Strait of Magellan, and South Africa. Anywhere to get maximum ships in my territory.
IIRC the UP only works inside Indonesia's core area.
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0061.JPG

Last edited:
Third UHV condition is SO boring and not at all challenging either. Just dump cities in Australia and you'll make it easily. Top contender for a new condition

Drink coffee, because oooh boy....

Probably the only challenge you will have in a UHV Indonesia is the challenge to supress your will to kill yourself due to boredom

I will point out that it seems that the Japan strat is no longer viable because Japan always settles that city/has it preplaced now

2 big cities in your core should do it (one on each island).
The third city should be Manilla to claim the resources there (this means you will have to fight the Spanish conquerers later on though).
Later on you can found a third city in your core on the third island. But early on you will be busy with other stuff.
To get your resources needed I found it very tempting to start conquering Khmer, Thai and some Indian cities (along with the holy buddism city for a good economy).
Also try to be friendly with the Tamils so they will trade you some resources.
And for the third UHV you need to defend against all the conquerer events, first Spanish (Manilla), then English(Kolkata), Dutch(your 2 core cities) and possibly Portoguese and French.

Last edited:
Anyone know if/what causes the Tamil conquerors? Was a total surprise when I saw them lol

Top Bottom