No instructions for downloaded mods?

Gothfather

Chieftain
Im sorry but this site has the worst instructions for any modding community that i have experienced. Ask you help and you get a one line link to either a list of off topic tutorials or a specific link to a tutorial that is on topic but not what was asked for, not actually instructions on how to use install a mod but rather how to make a mod.

Would it kill the comunity to provide step by step instructions on what where and how to add mods with a download? Most communities provide such instructions with the download.

I know the knee jerk reaction to this will be to blame me, the poster, but thats to be expected. People hate critism. So far everything I have downloaded has no instructions with the download. It a major disapointment that people can't even write up instructions for their mods. And I have seen so many threads started by people asking for help and not really getting it.

Seriously what is the point of providing a download without instructions on how to install it?

Let the flames begin.

hi,
go to the mod you wanna play,

and ask there for instructions,

i promiss its creator will surly help you.
its really easy.

keldath.

Surely you are joking? Ask and you get one line links like I mentioned in my original post. I saw this over and over. I think it should be site policy not host a mod without step by step instructions in a text file with each download.

Why do you think I posted my comments here? I did because its NOT as easy as you claimed. It a huge let down to see no regard for such a basic aspect of modding as instructions. I have never experienced a site that provides zero instructions in thier downloads. I can't understand why it appears to be policy not to provide instructions.

I have never experienced a site that provides zero instructions in thier downloads. I can't understand why it appears to be policy not to provide instructions.

Most likely due to the simple facts that all mods are
- free of charge
- shared simply because of the kindness of their creators to enhance the gameplay of others (most of which they never have met personally nor even heard of)
- installing mods usually is as simple as copying/extracting them if the mod-folder.

I assume that you
- have of course read the Civ4-manual and therefore know that there is such thing as a mod-folder
- took the time to browse through the forum instead of just trolling.

Since you did so, you probably just must have had bad luck (such as a tear in the eye from cutting onions), otherwise I do not understand why
- you missed this thread which is even marked as sticky
- you did not understand the general instruction rule mentioned there
Spoiler :
(The working way): Mods should be posted in the C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\MOD_NAME folder. Each Mod should get its OWN folder, and should contain copies of the files it overrides. The modding system developed by the programmers checks here *first*, and any files NOT overridden are then loaded from the original game files.

I might be new to this community / site myself, but I guess the above is still appropriate. You know, it is usually good behavior to read / use search functions on your own before crying out for help ;)

Most of the modpacks, after unpacked or installed are in the correct file structure. I know for a fact CivGold and FFH2 install themselves into the Modfolder, all you have to do is select it in game?

In fact if you go through any of the modpacks, they say, "UnZip and place in Mod Folder"?

In addition to that there is an entire Subforum dedicated to Modding/Tutorials and the Search feature.

Im sorry but this site has the worst instructions for any modding community that i have experienced. Ask you help and you get a one line link to either a list of off topic tutorials or a specific link to a tutorial that is on topic but not what was asked for, not actually instructions on how to use install a mod but rather how to make a mod.

Would it kill the comunity to provide step by step instructions on what where and how to add mods with a download? Most communities provide such instructions with the download.

I know the knee jerk reaction to this will be to blame me, the poster, but thats to be expected. People hate critism. So far everything I have downloaded has no instructions with the download. It a major disapointment that people can't even write up instructions for their mods. And I have seen so many threads started by people asking for help and not really getting it.

Seriously what is the point of providing a download without instructions on how to install it?

Let the flames begin.

I would like to point out that a lot of us either include a README file or detailed instructions in the mod's thread or download link. Also, most of us are more than willing to discuss any issues either by PM or in our mod's thread. IT IS VERY HARD FOR US TO HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T ASK.

Please be a little more careful in the generality of your post.

Thanks

Its really quite simple if you know how to operate a computer. Besides, lots of the bigger mods come with self extracting exe's that automatically install where they should. Then all you have to do is go to "load mod" in the main menu and thats about it.

@ Gothfather
Are you asking how do you load and run a complete stand-alone mod, how to extract a mod once you download it, or how to incorporate units/graphics/mod comps into your own mod?

If it's #1, there are directions throughout the forums on this but I will repeat them from a non-computer-literate background:
1. Download Mod (generally people put these into zip compression, but some use other compression formats and will usually include links to get those programs for free)
2. Open "My Computer", "local disk" (or wherever you have Civ installed) etc. until you get into your Civ files. You're looking for a folder titled "Mods".
3. Unzip/extract your new downloaded mod into this Mod folder.
4. open the Mod folder and you should see a new folder that contains the downloaded mod. Most of the mod creators here put all their files into a main folder already, but for the rare instance where you simply get all the component files loose, you will need to create a new folder (title it "Gothmod") and move all these files into that new folder.
5. start civ. In the main menu choose: advanced, load a mod, "Gothmod" (or whatever the new mod's folder was titled).
6. play and enjoy.

For problem 2 or 3, take the advice of someone who came into this being challenged by Excell and having BASIC as the only programming language I knew. There are loads of excellent tutorials covering programming in XML/Python/C++, how to arrange file structures, etc. If you choose to improve your knowledge base, these tuts will let you use the forums capably. If not, then I hope you enjoy the vanilla game because people here will give you help to things yourself but (generally) will not do things for you.
I hope this helps.

I'm not sure where this

Ask you help and you get a one line link to either a list of off topic tutorials or a specific link to a tutorial that is on topic but not what was asked for, not actually instructions on how to use install a mod but rather how to make a mod.

comes from, but after looking at the threads you've posted in I don't see you asking for help at all except to report that you can't d/l a new civ mod. Making wild accusations won't get you help any faster. Most everyone here is very helpful. If you're posting in older threads then you might be out of luck because the author either moved on or no longer checks that particular post.

In the future simply post here in main C&C and you'll get help.

I include the following in the first post of my mod thread, and in the Readme.txt file included with my mod!

Installation

1. Unzip the file to your Sid Meier's Civilization IV\BtS\Mods\ directory.
2. Start up BtS.
3. Go to Advanced-Load Mod.
4. Load the "Wolfshanze" mod.
5. You can now use all that is in this mod!

===

It's not my fault you haven't tried my mod yet ;) (available in my sig-line!).

Top Bottom