1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

no interface in the game

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by ma7dy, Apr 18, 2006.

1. ma7dy

ma7dy Chieftain

after installing 1.61 i have the following new bugs

1. in the game no interface appear at all !!! no upper screen interface .. no down screen interface ... even when i zoom into city , the city interface doesnt appear leaving me with map alone ...it is simply unplayable!!
    2. when the in game movies play , the desktop appears in the background
    3. after selecting a new game and data is initialized , a dialog with the button "play game" should appear , now a technical advisor dialog appears and i have to exit it to see the dialog with button "play game".

i run civilization4 on my laptop
    2.0 GHZ
    1GB RAM DDR2
    ATI X700 128MB with hyper memory

it used to work correctly with patch 1.52

has anyone experinced similar symptons ??

2. ma7dy

ma7dy Chieftain

i found the problem
    it was in the customassets folder , i emptied it and everything is normal again
    :D

3. kdean1

kdean1 Chieftain

You're a life saver! I had the same problem after installing the v1.61 patch. I learned of the patch only recently and went forward with the installation. Then no interface! I tried changing option settings, etc. all to no avail.

I was reluctant to delete the contents of a folder as per your suggestion, but I figured I'd have to reinstall the game even if there were no ill effects.

How did you determine that's where the problem was?

BTW, thanks for posting your solution.

4. alexinjo

alexinjo Chieftain

Did not work for me.
    I still have no interface when using mods. Help please if you can.

5. JoobaJooba

JoobaJooba Chieftain

The fix also didn't work for me, but I think I've pinpointed the problem. The custom assets folder in program files is a shortcut to the custom assets folder in My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4. I emptied out the custom assets folder, but whenever I start the program the problem is still there, and I quit and find that the custom assets folder has somehow regenerated the empty folders I deleted before. What's making them come back, and how do I make it stop?

6. JoobaJooba

JoobaJooba Chieftain

I fixed my problem hooray!

I copied all the files in the "assets" folder, and pasted them into the "custom assets" folder, and now it works great. I use vanilla civIV, so I'm not sure if it'll work with any mods or not.

7. Gregski

Gregski Mostly Harmless

I had a weirder solution: Alt+Tab out of Civ4, then click on the Civ4 app to return to it and your menu should be restored.