No love for Mac OS System

MALCIV6

Chieftain
I've noticed you can only pre-order CIV VI for the PC. Does anyone know whether the game will be released at a later date which is compatible for Mac OS? Or is it likely to be released at the same time and the pre-order option for the Mac is lagging at the moment.

On steam I can only see the pre-order option available for Windows. Guess I'll just have to wait until the option becomes available, thanks!

They have a new engine written from scratch. It's not easy thing to have it ported on other OSes (especially since Windows uses DirectX and others use OpenGL).

I guess the App store will have the game a few days after release. Aztec might by content that you have to pay for in the App version, or it is free (as Civ 5 included the first to DLC in the app store version, you had no choice to buy it without them)

I guess the App store will have the game a few days after release. Aztec might by content that you have to pay for in the App version, or it is free (as Civ 5 included the first to DLC in the app store version, you had no choice to buy it without them)

Monty is a pre-order bonus. Everyone else gets him free in three months, iirc.

Monty is a pre-order bonus. Everyone else gets him free in three months, iirc.

I am aware of that. But I'm sure the Mac App Store will not have the pre-order option, as I am sure the game will not be there on October 21st. So I'm not sure about the Aztecs. They might be activated after 90 days, they might be free from the beginning or they might be a DLC you have to pay for (as the App Store is always greedy and expensive ;))
With Civ 5 we (Mac App Store customers) didn't have a choice. We could not buy Civ 5. We had to buy a version including Mongolia and Babylon, called "Campaign Edition". Maybe we only have the Civ VI Digital Deluxe or a special Edition for the Mac. We'll see.

That sounds like good reason not to buy through the Mac App store, then. No details on when the Mac version will be released and how that'll affect pre-order early access, but you can still buy the game through Steam.

On Steam I currently do not have an option to pre-order the game which is compatible with Mac OS systems. As it stands it is only available on Steam for Windows, however I am based in the UK if that makes a difference??

They will probably have to wait until they are nearer the final PC version before they can announce the Mac version. The latest versions of the Mac OS support Metal which bypasses the OpenGL framework for 3D rendering and it is apparently very effective. It requires OS X El Capitan or later.

I currently have the 2012 Macbook Pro 13'' so it is only dual core. Waiting for Apple to sort themselves out and release the new Macbook Pro which should hopefully land in October/November, ideally in time for Civ.

Read a few people are worried about the demands Civ VI will have on the graphics and processor so going to upgrade to the 15'' quad core. It comes with a dedicated graphics chip which should help too. I'm not having my laptop letting me down when this is released! Just glad it isn't released annually otherwise I'd struggle to keep up!

Yeah, no one has the option to pre-order for Mac or Linux. It has been confirmed but not announced. When it is announced, the Steam page will be updated with compatibility with those OSes. Through the Steam store, it'll be the same product/key. Although if you're only going to play on Mac (or Linux), it would definitely be smart to hold off on ordering. No telling when the port will actually be released.

I currently have the 2012 Macbook Pro 13'' so it is only dual core. Waiting for Apple to sort themselves out and release the new Macbook Pro which should hopefully land in October/November, ideally in time for Civ.

I'm in pretty much the same boat. Waiting on new Macs, waiting on Civ specs...

On Steam I currently do not have an option to pre-order the game which is compatible with Mac OS systems. As it stands it is only available on Steam for Windows, however I am based in the UK if that makes a difference??

When you buy a game on steam, you buy it for all OSes. In the past, if you bought a game for windows only that was later ported to mac, you could also download the mac version. It's what I did for Civ5.

Disclaimer: I do not know 100% that this will also be the case for Civ6.

The "Pre-order" link on Aspyr's page leads directly to the Steam site and I placed an order with no problems. It's showing as bought on my Steam page. The only question is, will it come out on 21 October the same time as the Windoze version? :confused:

The "Pre-order" link on Aspyr's page leads directly to the Steam site and I placed an order with no problems. It's showing as bought on my Steam page. The only question is, will it come out on 21 October the same time as the Windoze version? :confused:

This is still unknown, and we're supposed to "stay tuned" for news about it. We're just over a week away from release and still no news, it's annoying...

Pre-ordering the game on Steam for Windows will automatically make you eligible for the pre-order bonuses once the Mac version is released. I can't think anything else would happen because that's been the case for most releases so far.

Top Bottom