no mesoamerican religion?

Can't say about Quetzalcoatl (who isn't natively Mayan, anyway) per se, but Mayan religion is alive and kicking among the highland Maya in Guatemala.

Well, the thread says Mesoamerican, so I've been picking on the Aztecs instead of the Mayans.

While the Mayan religion is alive, I don't know about kicking. Plus, it seems to be a hybrid today.

I personally think they should have left Tengriism out just because 10 is a much better number than 11.

I know, right? It seems so random. There is a pretty solid list of 10 widely recognizable world religions. Who had the genius idea "hey, you know 11 is a much better number than 10. Let's find another religion no one has ever heard of and stick it in there"

Not that I'm complaining, it just seems a bit odd.

Tengriism is good because:
1) It has a cool name
2) It has a cool symbol
Furthermore, the religions don't vary between each other. At all. And it appears that you can rename the religions anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

Well, the thread says Mesoamerican, so I've been picking on the Aztecs instead of the Mayans.

While the Mayan religion is alive, I don't know about kicking. Plus, it seems to be a hybrid today.

Yep not kicking nowadays for sure. But back then it was a major religion. There are several different cults of the old religion though.

While everything that survived became hybridized (See Maximon aka Saint Judas, worshipping of certain specific other Saints and shrines scattered throughout Mexico and Guatemala for some of these obscure Saints picked to act as fronts for old gods, Easter Sunday ceremonies etc.) it is amazing that even some of the old culture survived after the epidemics and persecution of the old culture.

There are still shamans that carry on a ton of old practices but I am not sure the original meanings have been preserved. I have heard from my family and my father practices that people would get Shamans to do if they were sick or in need. (My dad has told me about how his mother would get a shaman to perform some sort of egg ritual and something with incense when he was a kid).

You can rename the bird symbol to Mesoamerican religion and it still fits.

It seems you Start with a "religion". (a religion that is strictly limited to your civ though) You can then get a World religion, which you can rename and give custom benefits.

Can't actually say they were worshiped, but they did have Eagle and Jaguar warriors.

The Bird and Jaguar go quite well together as symbols of extraordinary greatness and world domination.

Yep not kicking nowadays for sure. But back then it was a major religion. There are several different cults of the old religion though.

While everything that survived became hybridized (See Maximon aka Saint Judas, worshipping of certain specific other Saints and shrines scattered throughout Mexico and Guatemala for some of these obscure Saints picked to act as fronts for old gods, Easter Sunday ceremonies etc.) it is amazing that even some of the old culture survived after the epidemics and persecution of the old culture.

There are still shamans that carry on a ton of old practices but I am not sure the original meanings have been preserved. I have heard from my family and my father practices that people would get Shamans to do if they were sick or in need. (My dad has told me about how his mother would get a shaman to perform some sort of egg ritual and something with incense when he was a kid).
It's basically the same that happened to the West African Slave religion (vodou/voodoo) and the Incan Religion, keep a lot of the old stuff but disguise it as christian.

Since they allow religions to be so costumisable I really wish they'd add more symbols and not keep the number at 11. Such religions as Hellenism, Norse/Germanic paganism (a blanket term to cover a larger area than just Scandinavia, they're basically the same anyways, Thor vs. Donar/Donner), Mesoamerican (again, a blanket term, lots of similarities in the region, like the mayan Kukulkan vs. Aztec Quetzalcoatl), Jainism and Vodou.

Though, as an argument against Hellenic, Norse and Mesoamerican religions, they're basically a bunch of similar local nature beliefs, as opposed to a unifying "idea" characteristic to the religions available in the upcoming expansion.

It's basically the same that happened to the West African Slave religion (vodou/voodoo) and the Incan Religion, keep a lot of the old stuff but disguise it as christian.

Since they allow religions to be so costumisable I really wish they'd add more symbols and not keep the number at 11. Such religions as Hellenism, Norse/Germanic paganism (a blanket term to cover a larger area than just Scandinavia, they're basically the same anyways, Thor vs. Donar/Donner), Mesoamerican (again, a blanket term, lots of similarities in the region, like the mayan Kukulkan vs. Aztec Quetzalcoatl), Jainism and Vodou.

Though, as an argument against Hellenic, Norse and Mesoamerican religions, they're basically a bunch of similar local nature beliefs, as opposed to a unifying "idea" characteristic to the religions available in the upcoming expansion.

And that apparently is modelled already, you can aparently add "Beliefs" to your 'local pantheon' seperate from getting a 'world religion'.

Are you saying one can have a local belief AND a world religion?
That would be quite neat, and accurate, not even christianity is the same in every region of the world, even though it has the same unifying idea everywhere.

Well the world religion Might replace the local belief, I'm not sure.

But the local belief gets customizable bonuses.

Top Bottom