1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

No more hidden units?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by c0pr4x, Mar 2, 2013.

1. c0pr4x

c0pr4x Warlord

I would like to know if it is possible to have no hidden units? (Like Warlord, assassins, pirate, ect..)

I would like a option to disable hidden unit for all civilization if it's possible.

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Could be done. How does the rest of the team feel about this? I don't mind it but I wouldn't use it myself...

3. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Don't have a strong opinion here.

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Do you mean invisible or hidden nationality? I ask because Pirate and Warlord are not invisible but are hidden nationality. So disabling all "hidden nationality" units would make a big change to the game. I would probably play with this on as I find those units to be annoying.

5. c0pr4x

c0pr4x Warlord

For me personnally i would prefer both... because like you, i think they are annoying! ;)

For example.. i saw a assassin but i can't kill him because he's on the border of friendly civ... it's annoying like you said..

6. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Invisible is different because spies are invisible. Although if we lumped them all together we could just use the "No Espionage" option that already exists.

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I know some economy in the amount of game options is of value but I could see how it'd be beneficial to break it up into 3 distinct options of No Espionage, which we already have and should not be altered I don't think, No Unit Invisibility, and No Hidden Nationality.

The No Unit Invisibility and No Hidden Nationality tags could either be programmed to keep out all units that would normally have such settings or it could simply disable the abilities themselves. Which approach would be preferable?

8. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Loose Hidden nationality and those units no longer have a purpose so I would turn them off.

edit spies would have to remain invisible if you had Espionage and No Invisibility.

9. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

...which also leaves techs with no purpose (piracy for example)...

10. Il Principe

Il Principe Prince

I understand how annoing the hidden nationality units ( and the invisible ones) can, having lost quite a lot of workers that way, but I findthem to be a great asset as well, both for me, and the AI.

A note about the AI on hidden nationality units : I sometimes see them raiding my border regions, retreating behind borders I can´t cross without declaring war. Which is of course working very well for them ;) But I wonder if that takes crime into account?
    Many of the units in question are crime spreading units, so from that angle retreating behind their own borders might be more damaging for their own economy then their raids are for me.

11. c0pr4x

c0pr4x Warlord

Or we could be able to kill invisible and hidden units outside our border without declaring war?

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

You can. It's when they are inside another nation's boundary that you can't enter without declaring war that you have an issue. No easy resolution for that, nor should there be really as that's a big part of the interplay with such units that makes them enjoyable.

13. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Actually, that should be rather easy by using your own hidden nationality units. At least, I find that works well. So long as the target isn't in a city.

14. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Yeh, it's a great place to staion a great general (just inside your borders with a couple of good defensive units) with hidden nationality units adjacnwt butin th enemy territory, attacking or soaking up attacks to benefit your general.

15. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

There are a couple culture units that have these features. If the person is ok with having some cultures that have no units then I am ok with it. However it will make Canine units nearly useless if Thief units are removed.

In short I have no problem with it being optional for those who want their game without them.

16. LumenAngel

LumenAngel King

If they dontretreat in a city, and for too long, it's OK. The crime will fade away fast.

17. Il Principe

Il Principe Prince

Well that´s it: they are staying for a while: healing, one or two turns of raiding, and going back behind save borders again, until theyare healed again, or my defenders moved. Which they do, I often lack the funds to have lots ofstationary defenders at hand.

18. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

No offense to everyone that doesn't like the units that do this, but isn't that the REAL main purpose of them? If you KNOW where the Assassin/Ambusher is, doesnt that DEFEAT the purpose of the unit?? I mean the American CIA is full of spies all over the world, they are the one's that LOOK like everyone in that country they are in, and causing and uproar, just to get to the main purpose of doing what the US wants to begin with. How do you think Noriega of Panama, etc made it into power?? They were actually CIA agents to begin with, who do you think trained Osama Bin Laden. You have to have espionage just like in the cold war, when Russia sent their spies here to live as American, and some still lived here and NEVER activated. Infact there is an American TV show now about the Russian infiltrators/spies its called "The Americans." Spies living in America. Cant see them, dont know who they are, where they live, so i think you'd kinda call that Invisible/Hidden Nationality, HUH?? :p

19. c0pr4x

c0pr4x Warlord

You make all a good point. But if you can make it optionnal for players who want another kind of game it could be fun! (If it is not so complicated only for you mod) I read a lot on this forum everyday and you are working sooo hard!! :)

P.S. Very very good mod! :D

20. draz

draz Warlord

I for one love the hidden nationality units and always make good use of them. There's nothing quite like keeping good relations with your neighbors, while simultaneously stabbing them in the back with those mercenary units. :goodjob: