1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

No more smoking city, another cheat from a.i. ?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Tassadar, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Tassadar

Tassadar Master

In my last game, i reach modern era and i plan to do precision strike on a.i. ( 2 were left ). those a.i. declare war on me and they were republic or democraty.

So once my set up is made; 5 carrier full of stealth bomber + jet fighter, i start to destroy their infrastructure in their biggest city ( size 20 and more ).

Here what happen, i destroy all city improvement and the a.i. city never turn into smoke like before ( you know when it was rioting ) , so i use my spy to find out what happen between each precsion strike. Guess what, the a.i. assigh entertainer during my turn so their city never riot, they will starve their city but it will never riot.

What the f*** is this, why a.i. are able to reasign citizen during my turn, darn cheat again, an ai. city size 20 without temple,cathedral,marketplace, under a reprensatative govrnement didnt riot ( he made about 10 entertainer during my turn). Each time i succeed to destroy an happiness improvement, i investigate this city and each time more entertainer were created.

Does human can do thing during a.i. turn, no of course, but does a.i. can, yes sire, like a cheater.

:ar15: Firaxis cheater.

I didnt notice that before 1.29 f, because before this patch i was able to send their city in rioting, no more. They never riot even when they declare war on you as a democraty and war last several turn, no war weariness for a.i., no more rioting.

2. Yndy

Yndy Emperor

You can also scroll ahead to prevent riots. It's just not in the game mechanics. Also if you have the governor on it does the same thing for you.

3. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

Yndy: sadly, the governor does NOT starve your cities to prevent disorder!

4. satchel

satchel Prince

What do you mean? Of course it does.

5. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk The Builder

No, Killer is right. When your city goes into disorder, and you are shown a list of options (tell them to go to hell, give them entertainment, zoom to city window), if you choose give them entertainment the governor will not create any more entertainers than you can support without starvation. To assign more entertainers, you must go to the city window and assign them yourself.

6. satchel

satchel Prince

But if your Governor is on, you will never get that message telling you that your city is in disorder - the Governor will automatically create entertainers to keep the city out of disorder, even if that means starving the city.

7. DaDoo

DaDoo Prince

Satchel's right about the governor. I've always played with governor on and on more than one occasion per game the governor would create enough entertainers to the point the city is starving(due to the city growing too quickly or a prolonged war).

note: because of the governor... I've never experienced rioting in my 1 year of play in Civ3...

8. Rirse

Rirse Warlord

I encounter the computer cities rioting in my last game of PTW with the Celts. I was at war with Babylon and just was beganing to attack their capital, but I notice that a number of cities were on fire, along with their cap having a large amount of pollution in their city too.

9. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

I agree. Having the governor on is essential to playing this game. Since I started using the governor my cities never go into disorder. Occassionally if I have a very long war my government will collapse, but that is my fault, not the governor's.

10. cymru_man

cymru_man Prince

I have definitely seen AI cities in disorder with the smoking pic. And I don't use the city governers, they always convert the wrong citizens to entertainers

11. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

Um...which citizens do you want them to convert? Are there different types of citizens that they can convert? Is there an upper, middle, and lower class?

12. Squirrel

Squirrel Warlord

I think cymru_man means that the governor takes workers from the wrong tiles to turn into entertainment. This can to some extent be managed by telling him to emphasize production, food and/or commerce.

13. cymru_man

cymru_man Prince

I want them to convert the ones I want them to convert. Grrrr

City Governer: :cry: :rocket2:

I generally find that the governers, in a size 12 city before sanition, that is building a wonder, will remove the worker working the tile mountain iron tile, for example, despite the fact that there is 6 spare food and the city isn't gonna grow.

EDIT Thank you squirrel, you must have posted while I was writing this

14. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

What are you telling the governor to emphasize? I've found that when I emphasize production, the governor will provide the maximum production possible while maintaining the minimum food. Commerce is sacrificed. When emphasizing commerce the same thing happens. Commerce is maximized, while the minimum food is maintained and production in sacrificed.

15. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

And by the way, I knew what you meant originally, but for some reason I felt the need to make a sarcastic comment to you. Many apologies, oh wise one.

16. cymru_man

cymru_man Prince

I don't tell them to emphaise anything. I'd have to do it for each individual city!? Too much like hard work!

17. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

In the beginning of the game I usually don't emphasize anything, but keep the Governor on to keep the peace. There are long stretches, however, when my civ will not have anything important to build and I will set them all to emphasize either growth or commerce. Usually commerce as the six and twelve people limits come pretty quickly when emphasizing food. After I get that one advance that I needed I'll set my cities to production and start building Universities or whatever I just discovered.
    This is just easier than moving from city to city every turn to get what I need out of them. It would take me a month to finish a game.

18. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

PS on my last post. If I set all of the cities to commerce, but am building a wonder or something in one or two cities I will just turn the governor off in those cities, or set them to production.

19. morkaphi

morkaphi More Coffee

I believe it's not an AI cheat... As satchel mentioned, as long as you have the governer on to manage the citizen mood, cities won't riot, even with both the loss of happiness-generating infrastructure and war weariness.

Though workers are turned to entertainers and citizens are starved, it's still better than riots and the associated non-production. :)

20. DaDoo

DaDoo Prince

@cymru_man

when you set up the governor, you can set it to emphasize growth/production/commerce. You can also make it so the change would only apply to 'this city' or 'this continent' or 'all city'. I typically set the governor when I found my capital and click on the small box that sets all the new cities' governor as the capital.