1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

No. of Cities/Workers?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by yanner39, Sep 21, 2010.

1. yanner39

yanner39 Chieftain

Is it just me or the the concept of Rexxing won't exist in Civ 5.

I had a chance to start a couple of games today. My first game as Persia, I got to about 6 cities by 1430AD. Now that was on Chieftain level (I used the default settings by accident). Now, I was miles ahead of the AIs in terms of gold and Research. I had 2 city-states supplying me with food and another with culture.

The other 2 games were at Prince level. A little different in terms of difficulty obviously, but my horizontal expansion was much slower. It seems like there is always something more important to build besides a settler. Either a Granary/watermill for growth or Library for science. Plus, happiness can be very limiting. The thing is, I wanted to focus on growth early to jump start my research. That was at the obvious expense of a settler.

Just wondering if it was just me? What are we looking at in terms of maximum number of cities during a game? My thought is ALOT less than in Civ 4, especially with the presence of city-states. What, 7 or 8 max?

Also, how quickly does the first worker make an appearance? Like Civ 4, I think working unimproved tiles in Civ 5 will be very bad. So, another build instead of the settler.:D

2. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Put it onto prince difficulty and your empire becomes unhappy at city 3.

3. vranasm

vranasm Chieftain

well I played only demo yesterday (hate the EU release date!!)

and managed to get to 3 cities at T70. It was on King.
    I had spice and marble in cap's BFH. So have really surplus happy. and the third city will have gems

I built only 1 worker at start...and it was not enough... the improvement times are really slow, but it's expensive to have a lot of workers.
    I eventually built 3 workers, tough to judge optimum.
    I can imagine building 2 workers before 1st settler. But it really depends on the land I think.

btw found out that Stonehenge really rocks :) 8 culture was something like doubling my culture output. Had 3 SPs at T70...invested in the expansion tree and when I finally connect those 2 cities to cap I will get more culture :).

4. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Yea, I started building Stonehenge too. Colossus turned out to be major rubbish, I like Stonehenge, Mids, and Great Library.

Great Library / Oracle I would only build if playing as Babylon, otherwise henge / mids / GLH are a lot better.

5. Le Roi Soleil

Le Roi Soleil Chieftain

The Pyramids will be largely ignored by players once everyone figures out how easy it is to steal workers from City States. Stonehenge appears to be the only early wonder that is an absolute must-build.

6. remconius

remconius Chieftain

In civ 5 you really need to actively look for happiness. Settling cities to get as many as possible of the 15 luxuries, trading them from city states is key to support growth.

I only played the demo 2 times last night, but I felt that have a couple of workers out early is key. There is so much to build, farms, pastures, mines, etc. And then plantations come soon too (well at standard speed)

7. Corbeau

Corbeau Jack of All Trades

You can expand pretty fast if you concentrate on improving your luxury resources quickly. I had 3 cities by turn 50 on Deity in my second game of Civ 5. 'Course the AI has about a billion cities by then on Deity... :\

8. yanner39

yanner39 Chieftain

See, this my thought as well. But from the 4 hours I played in game one, you need to balance your early builds between Settlers, Workers and important Wonders like Stonehenge and the GrLib. But also....The Granary and Watermill are also important for the vertical growth of your cities for the obvious reason of science.

Anyways, I'm sure that by playing more, you get to figure out the proper mix. I just think that there are many variables that make it hard to get to like 8 to 10 cities by 1AD like Civ4.

9. DalekDavros

DalekDavros Chieftain

With 1upt, quality is more important than quantity.

10. Lord_Zath

Lord_Zath Chieftain

Can you explain?

11. WeaselSlapper

WeaselSlapper Chieftain

Stealing workers from city states is insanely easy so there's no need to spend all that production building the Pyramids when all it does is -50% worker production.

12. MuteWolf

MuteWolf Chieftain

I play on prince too and it may just be because of the starts I was getting in my 2 games so far but I only had 3-4 cities made by settlers. Seems like with all the city states there isn't room for a ton of new cities and the penalties of having yet another make it less appealing. So if for no reason then lack of quality space I have been limiting my settling. I haven't even been having aggressive neighbors settling around me it's usually just too many city states on the good land. That's no too big of a deal though, as long as I am friends/allies with the city states and puppet or annex a few I seem to be alright.

As for the worker questions:

1. I have the same issue figuring out how many to make. So far I've been running 1 per city, sometimes that seems a bit slow but they run out of stuff to do pretty quick when you aren't expanded all over the map, and aren't building any roads on improvements.

2. Don't you pay for having extra workers, I mean it does cost gold per worker yeah? So pyramid isn't that bad an idea. Plus you can't stack workers so it's nice to get stuff done ASAP. Though it is hard to justify making too many yourself when eventually you will probably get some from city-state theft or at least get them cheaper later in the game, assuming you follow that culture path.