1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

No option for anti aliasing?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by Blanchflower, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

OK, my OS is Windows 7 64-bit and my graphics card is 9800M GTS. I am wondering why there is no option for 2 x, 4 x or 8 x MSAA? I am playing Direct X 9 by the way.

Do anyone of you face the same problem? The option is being greyed out in my game!

Thanks!

:(

2. juanbobo

juanbobo Warlord

Do you have the latest video drivers installed?

3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

4. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

Thanks for the kind help! This means that I need to play the game in Direct X 10. As my laptop video card is getting old, playing the game in Direct X 10 causes the game to freeze IF I play a lot of civilizations and on a huge map.

This freeze occurs towards the end of a long game. But there are no such problems when I choose to play the game under Direct X 9.

By the way, I have the latest video card drivers installed for my laptop graphics card.

Cheers!

:)

5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

:confused: where did you read that?

6. timtofly

timtofly One Day

I think that you are going to have an even harder time forcing the game into Direct X10 mode, than forcing the Graphics card to do AA using Direct X 9 mode.

This game works best if you do have a Direct X 11 card, or play in Direct X 9 mode.

7. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

It is in the first answer: Anti-Aliasing is not available for Civ5 in DirectX 9 via the program itself.

So if I want to enable anti-aliasing, I have to play in Direct X 10.

8. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

That is quite true. My laptop graphics card is a Direct X 10 card and it fairs poorly, if I run the game in Direct X 10. The same thing applies to Total War Shogun 2. It fairs poorly if I play that game in Direct X 10.

Right now, I am saving up to buy a brand new PC. I made a mistake in buying a laptop. Even though it is a gaming laptop, a PC fairs more better in graphics intensive games.

:sad:

9. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

And the next bit goes on to say that you need to enable outside of the game and gives instructions as to how.