1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

No Parole for Canadian Mercy-Killer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Che Guava, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Che Guava

Che Guava The Juicy Revolutionary

link

It's an ugly situation, but my support falls behind Latimer. I heard on the radio last night that there was a legal loophole he could exploit so that he doesn't have to wait another 2 years to get day parole, so I really hope that his lawyers come through...

2. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I wonder how he was treated in prison?

Having superior medicine in our society would have prevented this dilemma. I keep on reminding myself of that.

3. Che Guava

Well, it is a minimum security one, so not too harshly I expect...

In the meantime, though, what is to be done in cases like this?

4. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

I support him too.

Interesting comparison with the Texan who shot the two guys robbing his neighbour house: murder, one out of love, the other out of... I'm not sure.

5. Che Guava

I think the word is compassion....

6. El_Machinae

I struggle with the entire "for their own good" debate, actually. How to respect people's Free Will while balancing with something They'll Thank You For Later.

This is a bit different, but I don't know if/when she could have been qualified to request her own death or request her own life.

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

See, that's why there should be government sanctioned euthanasia.

The girl wouldn't have to suffer and the father wouldn't be in jail.

8. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

The man deserves life with no parole.

9. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Oh and pray tell why?

10. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

I dont support people who kill their own children. Sorry.

11. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

See, that's why I thought the comparison with the guy in Texas who killed the two guys robbing his neighbor's house was interesting.

In that other thread, my position was that the killer should be sentenced as a murderer, with no tolerance.
    Now here we have a father killing his daughter, yet I feel much more sympathetic to his cause. Don't get me wrong, I believe that he should be tried for murder too because that's why he committed, but to me he deserves parole.

I have yet to find out why I think that way. And of course it doesn't help that my judgments are based on just one paper article.
    But I think that in the case of the father, we have someone acting out of love, and I know that if I were a quadriplegic with brain damage I would want my parents to end my life, while the Texan smacks of vigilantism.
    Also, it's highly unlikely the father would kill again, while the Texan guy probably would.

I guess that's part of why I think that the Texan guy should get life without parole, but not the dad.

12. El_Machinae

I don't disagree (though I'm happy if he gets the legislated Canadian punishment). If it was the "right thing to do", then lets hope that prison is merely a consequence of the man's conscience (people get hurt for doing the right thing all the time). But we still want people second-guessing the killing of others.

It's akin to how I feel about torture. Keep it illegal and punished. If it's really important, the necessary torture will still happen.

13. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Well put. tenchar

14. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

Even though there was seemingly no cruel intention, murder is still just that. The man was acting out of emotion rather than reason.

What if something came out soon that made things much easier?

15. MobBoss

So, illegal, but sometimes necessary? Somehow that just doesnt make sense to me. Or maybe it does. Going to have to think on that a bit.

16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Ideally, euthanasia would be something overseen by a doctor. In this case though.. what other alternative did this man have?

I'm not condoning what he did - as I do not have all the details.. but if this was the only way to stop his daughter from leading an incredibly painful life.. then he did the right thing.

17. Rhymes

Rhymes Drive 4 25 is back

Personally it's a question of risk to society. That texan waco is a lot more of a threat to society then that father. One has a temper to make his own law and kill people he deems deserve it, the other.. well, his situation won't ever happen again because of it's particularity.

Parole should be given based on the rehabilitation level of the inmate. The father was never and never will be a threat to nobody else; the texan.... who knows?

I believe that father deserved his trial and should be punished, but if someone ever diserves the best parole conditions, it's him.

18. El_Machinae

Being illegal shouldn't stop a good person from doing the right thing, if it's the right thing. They should be willing to suffer the consequences, because it's for the best. Being hurt is NOT going to stop a parent from taking a loving action.

Being illegal should stop a person from doing the wrong thing. At least, that's the way it's intended.

And sometimes issues are too sticky to try to parse when it should be legal or illegal, I think.

19. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

I think we see eye to eye on that issue. :goodjob:

20. MobBoss

But that merely begs the question 'why should the right thing being done by a good person be illegal'?

Again, why should there be consequences for doing the right thing?

Well, I for one, would disagree with you that killing your own child is a 'loving action'.

Correct, but not a 'right thing'.

I dont. I think you can precisely draw up when act X is a wrongful act and illegal, but if condition Y exists, then its the right thing to do and legal. I dont think that is very difficult to pin down at all.