No rep hit for AIs?

HagiaSophia

Chieftain
Okay, so I was on my island, when the Zulu land 5 archers next to 1 of my cities. I immediately sign a RoP with them, to stop them attacking, but they DoW me anyway.
After smashing Shaka into the ground, I find a revelation: the Zulu signed a RoP with India! AFTER attacking me! And I know the Indians!

Do the AI not have a rep to hit?

In a word, no.

Though some deals/actions may dissuade an attack, in the scenario above, a DOW was eminent. There was no other reason for the Zulu to land 5 archers next to your city, after all. (By the way, 5 archers in one landing is actually a descent amphibious landing for an AI). The best you can do in this case is try to get a great hard good deal (techs, lump sum gold, maps) from the AI and give them gpt in trade. When they DOW, you get to keep your hard goods and they lose the gpt.

The AI will continue to trade with other AIs no problem. The AI only holds a grudge against the human.

One thing that might have changed the course is to ally them in a war against someone else. This is not a guarantee, though. I think it was GOTM112 (which is PTW, not C3C) where France betrayed me with a DOW only a few turns after I bribed them into another war. Even so, the AI seems less likely to betray a MA with a straight up DOW (but they will run out on you all the time and leave you with the check).

AFAIK, the AI breaking deals hurts their trading/RoP reputation with the AIs, but not quite as bad for the human player.

Top Bottom