1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

No seriously, where should I move?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by downtown, Jun 29, 2013.

?

The downtown family should move to...

1. Nowhere. Stay in Chicago

20.0%
  2. Madison WI

2.9%
  3. Milwaukee WI

2.9%
  4. Cleveland OH

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Columbus OH

8.6%
  6. Pittsburgh PA

5.7%
  7. Washington DC (or NoVa)

17.1%
  8. Raleigh

5.7%
  9. Detroit, MI

5.7%
  10. Salt Lake City, UT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Another city or metro that I will list in the thread

8.6%
  12. wherever it would Obama the most politically

22.9%
  1. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

No, I really appreciate that! It's also possible that I'm overstating commute times. I figured once you hopped on 355 it would congested to matter where you are, but I guess that's wrong?

2. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Deity

I'd probably take 88 to 294, both of which always feel congested to me but manage to fail to be terrible unless it's rush hour or perpetual construction. 88 almost never backs up west of Naperville and 294 always seems to only be backed up during rush hour, which is hilarious if you are traveling the opposite direction as most of the traffic. 294 is getting farther east than I regularly travel though, so I could be off on that one. Just been to O'Hare/Midway enough times to toss a rough guesstimate depending on time of day. Bear in mind I usually avoid rush hour intentionally.

3. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Detroit wasn't actually on the list then.

4. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy CheeseBob

When you say living near family is a plus, I hope you are just talking of the convenience of visiting them and not counting on them for daycare or babysitting.

When I moved my parents always hinted about 'free babysitter', but when it came time to do it they always have excuses and will flat out refuse to do it at all if any of the children are under two years of age. Good thing the move wasn't that drastic (we didn't move to another state or change jobs).

5. downtown

Nah, I think I might be able to be talked into Detroit.

I did some more research though, and I'm eliminating DC. Employment perks aside, it's simply too expensive when there is uncertainty about my wife's career. I either stay in Chicago, or cash out and move to Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin or Minnesota (or I guess maaaaaybe NC) and enjoy the extra 2,500-4,000 a year in savings.

6. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

I get the feeling you're gonna stay in Chicago if you're trying to balance your job with your wife's.

7. danjuno

danjuno Emperor

May I make a last minute attempt to change your mind? Jefferson County, WV is only an hour from DC, and is a hell of a lot cheaper than NoVa.

Cost of living in NoVa: http://cost-of-living.findthedata.org/l/563/Washington-Arlington-Alexandria-DC-VA-MD-Metro-Area
    Cost of Living in Jefferson County: http://cost-of-living.findthedata.org/l/604/Jefferson-County-WV-Metro-Area

That's roughly 12k in savings for two parents with one kid or 11k for two parents with two kids.

The Twins are more expensive still: http://cost-of-living.findthedata.org/l/301/Minneapolis-St-Paul-Bloomington-MN-WI

8. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Move to DC: it'll make it easier for me to hit up cfc people I like when I (eventually) make my East Coast tour.

9. Hygro

yeah but there's also the chicago cfc people

10. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Of the cities on the list Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill is the best choice. Close by you have great beaches, sports, mountains, culture, universities and a sophisticated population.

Other cities you should think about: Austin and Charlotte. Once you get out of the Midwest, you will never want to go back.

11. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Why is Detroit on the list? I suppose it might be okay if you were way far out in the suburbs. But even my Detroit friend whom I know the best says you don't want to visit Detroit unless you're with someone who's native to the city and knows where not to go. You could debate whether it's more ghetto than northwest Indiana, but if Northwest Indiana is off your list (and I agree it should be), Detroit should be off the list, too. And while on the subject of dangerous places in Michigan, don't even consider Flint. It's the reason I'd consider Detroit to only be the 2nd-most-dangerous city in Michigan.

With your wife's family being in Chicago, I'd favor it over either Milwaukee or Madison given that you appear to have reasonable rent. A two-bedroom in Madison wouldn't be that much cheaper - maybe a hundred a month, but the apartment market in Madison is tight, and you wouldn't save enough for it to be worth being farther away from family (and Chicago in general) IMO. UW would be better for the football reporting than Northwestern, but you'd still be close enough living in Chicago that you could head to UW for a game once in a while. Madison isn't a bad city, and it's crime is ridiculously low for an American city of its size, but already being in Chicago, not going broke on rent, and having family there, I can't see any reason to move to Madison (and though I know a lot less about Milwaukee, I doubt it'd be worth moving there, either). Madison's public schools are among the best city schools you'll find, at least for now. But I wouldn't move there for that now - maybe a couple years after you've had kids. Even more reason to not move there for that now is that they might not be as great in a few years if Walker remains Wisconsin's governor.

Among the Ohio options, I see a similar situation with Cleveland vs. Columbus: what's really in Cleveland's favor when you have family in Columbus? It's airport is more of a hub I guess, but I'm not sure what else. Columbus wins easily in the college football category, and IMO is generally a nicer city than Cleveland (lower crime, more stable economy, etc.). Several of Columbus's suburbs have good schools (and several of these are in affordable areas), and even Columbus's city schools have a couple of good schools (though most of them are pretty bad).

I've also head good things about the Research Triangle, but never having been there in person, can't comment on how it compares.

I'd be inclined to stay in Chicago for now. When you have kids, it might make sense to move to Columbus depending on how much it would cost to live in an area with good schools in Chicago, and Wisconsin would be worth considering again then for the same reason. But for now, my vote is stay in Chicago as first choice, Columbus as 2nd, and either Wisconsin or maybe NC as third.

12. Hygro

see my post for why detroit makes sense. If downtown can accidentally become OT's favorite person and still charm everyone in person, he is more than capable. My post doesn't actually require detroit btw, it was just the most ambitious.

13. downtown

Multi quote isn't working for some reason. The problem with Austin BirdJag is that while it's an awesome city, it doesn't provide any savings (Austin is at least as expensive as Chicago, if not more), and I don't know anybody there, or even anybody CLOSE to there. Plus, a % of the proposed job involves reporting on college sports primarily in the midwest. While I'm sure Austin is awesome, it wouldn't make sense to go there now. If I could go anywhwere, hell, I'd consider NM.

First, good stuff here. Detroit is on here because it is REALLY cheap. I don't mind living in developing neighborhoods (I kinda do now), and I know the entire city isn't a sprawling ghetto. It's probably behind Columbus, Madison and Cleveland though.

I could probably save 100 a month just on rent in Madison, so that's 1,200 a year right there. When you factor in fuel and taxes, I'd say I could probably save ~2,000 a year. I could save a little more in Columbus or Cleveland, but to be honest, Madison is a more fun city than either of those, and it's closer to my inlaws.

I've spent the weekend in Columbus. I'll see what my wife's report on the place was soon.

14. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

If you can "dial into" your job, NM has awesome places to live. Not much in the way of sports though. RTP though has great sports and its only a skip over the mountains from the Midwest.

15. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I don't think I'd let a $2k/year difference in living cost affect my decision of where to live.

If I needed an extra $2k/year of budget I'd either cut out some luxuries or pick up some contract work, either option would be easier than living in a less desirable place in order to save $2k.

For the purposes of commuting, I value my time at about the same as my contract rates though, so I could easily save several times more than $2k by moving to somewhere with a significantly shorter commute.

16. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

This prompts me to suggest that whatever place you choose, make sure it's one you wouldn't mind spending several years in, because life can take some really unexpected turns. It's not fun being effectively stranded (financially or mobility-wise) in a place you don't want to be. And while you do appear to have no significant concerns in those areas now, a sudden, catastrophic illness can change everything.

If you can find a place that has such things as social rooms or play areas/outdoor playgrounds, that can mitigate the lack of space considerably. That's a huge reason why I chose the place I'm living in now. I don't have much furniture that isn't dedicated to the care and feeding of my books, computer stuff, crafts, and cats - which leaves very little provision for entertaining company. This building has a huge social room, though, which I can book at no extra cost if I'm having people over for gaming (for example). Or if I just want to get out of my own place and be somewhere else without having to leave the building, I can go down there and read, putter on the computer, or chat with anyone else who might be around. Another building owned by this company has a playground onsite, so it's perfect for young families.

17. AluminumKnight

AluminumKnight Conquistador

Downtown, I have to pitch Milwaukee to you.

I also live in Chicago suburbs, and I miss Milwaukee all the time! I went to college there and truly wish I didn't have to move to Chicago for work.

You can live in a great family-friendly suburb within 20 mins or less to the city (somewhere like Wauwatosa), and the northern suburbs like Mequon, although pricey to live in, have great schools for the children.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the city itself, as I know some from Chicago have never been, and some go there a lot since Miller Park and the Bradley Center are so much easier and cheaper to see sports compared to the Chicago stadiums. Green Bay is also only a couple hours drive north.

The culture is great for young people as well. Downtown has plenty of cool bars, and there are more than enough townie, local, dive bars to go around. The beach and museum downtown are also pretty good, and you're still close enough to Chicago to make trips there for entertainment.

It's also only 1-2 hrs drive from Chicagoland, depending on where your family lives, so you would not be far away for a day trip.

I can't speak much for the cost of living, except I do know that it's significantly lower than Chicago, so you would come out ahead there.