1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"No Signal" on screen

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Fr8monkey, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Fr8monkey

Fr8monkey Deity

My computer is acting up... again. The screen just says 'no signal' on startup and shuts off. I have switched PCI slots, changed Monitors and video cards. I even powered down, unplugged the computer and erased the CMOS. No luck.
    The next thing I want to do is use the startup disk to repair the problem without erasing the hard drive. Anything will help

2. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Does the motherboard beep at all? Also, did you make sure to plug in the extra power cables into the Video Card if they're needed?

3. Fr8monkey

Fr8monkey Deity

At start up 1 beep which meens everything is OK. It is an older model card and has no seperate power.

4. lndm

lndm Prince

Your hard drive (or it's contents), will not prevent you from seeing the BIOS diagnostics. If you've tried a different video card and monitor, you should re-seat your memory and while you're at it, all cables for good measure (although the beep suggests otherwise, better to get this out of the way).

5. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Try a different video card, at it seems that the computer is POSTing normally. Borrow one from another computer if you can.

6. Genocidicbunny

He said in the OP that he has already done that, unless Im really misreading it.

7. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Oh, right. Well, it's a very strange situation then, it seems he hasn't tried swapping only the motherboard and power supply. Short circuits on drives, badly seated memory, etc, would cause the computer not to POST at all or to beep an error code.

8. averagejoe

averagejoe Chieftain

I once had a problem like that. But it turned out that some pins on the cable that goes to the video card (signal cable?) were either bent or broken.

9. Genocidicbunny

Duh. Good thing to ask: Did you make sure to connect all power leads that the gfx card needs? If its an AGP card it needs a 4-pin connector, usually found at the back or top of the card

10. Fr8monkey

Fr8monkey Deity

Update. did all that and the pins are all in order. I just think the PC just crapped out. I am going to get a new mother board nxt week and try that. Thans for all the help.:goodjob: