No Sound on Win 7 64-bit BTS Steam Version

Brashin

Chieftain
Hi All,

I am going crazy with this. This related to not being able to hear any sound on my newest machine. It also crops up with multiple "You have selected an unusable voice capture device. Voice capture disabled" and "You have selected an unusable voice playback device. Voice playback disabled". The weird thing is that sometimes I go into the audio options and choose a different option like "Surround sound" or "EAS 3.0" and it will work the next time I restart the program and then after that it wont work again. Or it will play the intro movie with sound but when it gets to the menu the sound will just stop. I have uninstalled both steam and civ 4 BTS fropm the machine and reinstalled them both and still the same issue. I have searched the forums and google and have come up empty.

My other machine was able to run Civ 4 on a 64-bit OS no problem from Steam ( I purchased the complete version). Then my HDD crashed, I had it reloaded this time with Win 7 32-bit OS and there were also no issues...apart from being a 32-bit OS and not being able to use all 4GB of memory (never did try the 3GB fix), and I just received a new upgraded machine, installed only Civ 4 BTS from Steam and get bombarded with all those messages at the menu above. The game seems to play fine but there is no sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    33.4 KB · Views: 840
maybe theres some UAC shenanigans going on which prevents the game from saving the corrected audio options.
I'd try turning User Account Control off, and put your user into Administrator group in compmgmt.msc

I can give that a try just not really sure how to do that unfortunatly, any ideas?

You type "turn off UAC" into start menu search box, and it should bring up the control-panel-page where you can do that. If that fails just do a web search on how to do it, should be easy to find.
As for the second thing, you either type "Computer Management" into start menu, or use "Windows-R" to bring up Run dialog and there type in compmgmt.msc

I thinik that did it. I changed UAC and also changed the voice playback and it works fine now, Appreciate the help from everyone.

Top Bottom