No Submitting to Steam Workshop without 5$ spending

lefuet

Warlord
https://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/618459405722491929/?insideModal=1
Steam Update: New user account limitations
There are new limitations for steam accounts now:

People who didn't spend at least 5$ on their account are restricted from

Sending friend invites
Opening group chat
Voting on Greenlight, Steam Reviews and Workshop items
Participating in the Steam Market
Posting frequently in the Steam Discussions
Gaining Steam Profile Levels (Locked to level 0) and Trading Cards
Submitting content on the Steam Workshop
Posting in an item's Steam Workshop Discussions
Accessing the Steam Web API
Using browser and mobile chat

Source:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3330-IAGK-7663#

What do you think about these changes?
Good idea against phishers and bots? Or just a bad thing for new users?
bold highlight by me

Posting frequently in the Steam Discussions
Posting in an item's Steam Workshop Discussions

Good to see freedom of speech is alive and well in the good ole US of A

For the accounts that have not spent $5 on Steam .... what's the point of using steam if you're not there to buy things (or observe prices)...? There are a lot better (and more popular) platforms/mediums for social interaction if one wants to keep up with friends.

A $5 threshold might finally reduce the spambot accounts.

well..... if you submit civilization 5 mods you own civilization anyways.... so you already spent 5$ on steam...

well..... if you submit civilization 5 mods you own civilization anyways.... so you already spent 5$ on steam...

Not if you bought the hard copy pack from Amazon, Game, your local retail store, ...

then dont buy hard copies? i dont see a reason to buy a hard copy OVER a digital copy. but if you have a reason, tell me.

then dont buy hard copies? i dont see a reason to buy a hard copy OVER a digital copy. but if you have a reason, tell me.

The reason(s) are irrelevant. Your assertion
you own civilization anyways.... so you already spent 5$ on steam
is false.

Exactly the kind of thing i warned about Steam 5 years ago. It will only get worse.

I think this rule was made more along the lines of people would create an account for a f2p game, and then just download stuff from the workshop, therefore those companies wouldn't make any money off those customers plus the servers cost money to mantain. Besides, people can just as easily upload their Civ 5 mods here for others to download and can be used in the game with no issues.

Good to see freedom of speech is alive and well in the good ole US of A

WHoward, you are awesome man..

But don't think for a second that this has anything to do with the 1st amendment because it doesn't. Not everyone deserves a right for everything.

I however agree that it doesn't cover people who bought hard copies of games, which is unfair.

but it is just $5, buy an indie game and have some fun.

Oh, and what happens when it`s $10, then $15, then $20?

It`s that kind of thinking which is why we are even at this point. People need to stand up and say, `NO!` and stop just taking it in the rear. STOP THE APATHY.

WHoward, you are awesome man..

But don't think for a second that this has anything to do with the 1st amendment because it doesn't. Not everyone deserves a right for everything.

I however agree that it doesn't cover people who bought hard copies of games, which is unfair.

I always assumed you had to own at least a single copy of a game in order for your account to be "pernament", so I would assume it's a worth type of thing (total value of games).

I read it it's not, I do admit it's slightly unfair, It should really be "total value of yoru games" rather than a strictly SteamStore. However, I think we are entering the age where most games will be primarily digital. I mean let's look at it logically

Printing and making physical copies cost money
You then have all the shipping
You have to go out and BUY the game.

While it is nice for collectors, I don't think that physical copies are that good these days, they're quite of wasteful.

Besides most games for under 5 aren't "good" anyway.

I think this rule was made more along the lines of people would create an account for a f2p game, and then just download stuff from the workshop, therefore those companies wouldn't make any money off those customers plus the servers cost money to mantain. Besides, people can just as easily upload their Civ 5 mods here for others to download and can be used in the game with no issues.

I agree, I think people are taking this slightly out of the intended context, it's not a limitation on more than 99% of users, just a tiny 1% of users who fall into that.

It's a really silly thing to get worked up about to be honest in my honest opinion.

Oh, and what happens when it`s $10, then $15, then $20?

It`s that kind of thinking which is why we are even at this point. People need to stand up and say, `NO!` and stop just taking it in the rear. STOP THE APATHY.

Steam requires a one-time investment of $5 to access the features mentioned. That's cheap considering its deterrent effect on spammers. The money isn't a fee, Steam just wants you to buy something. An indie game or some DLC will do just fine.

You want all of Steam's features to be free? They have bills to pay and the alternative is in-game ads and all sorts of other pernicious stuff.

The notion that everything on the Internet should come at no cost, no matter how much it costs to provide it, needs to go away.

Steam requires a one-time investment of $5 to access the features mentioned. That's cheap considering its deterrent effect on spammers. The money isn't a fee, Steam just wants you to buy something. An indie game or some DLC will do just fine.

You want all of Steam's features to be free? They have bills to pay and the alternative is in-game ads and all sorts of other pernicious stuff.

The notion that everything on the Internet should come at no cost, no matter how much it costs to provide it, needs to go away.

Bravo Sir!

It's $5 - Even a minimum wage job in the USA, that's a one time charge for 45 minutes of work.

The entire purpose of Steam is to be a digital library of games that you buy on steam. If you want to access the workshop and all the other benefits it is implied that you would buy and own content on Steam.

forums like CivFanatics exist in direct opposition of the Steam Workshop, where one can download mods and art without going to the workshop, and it's free. However it's not free to run as you should know with the GoogleAds all over this website.

Steam is a business, they are in business to make money, not to give everyone what they want all the time for free. I think taken in context, buying a game/dlc at a value of $5 or above as a one time charge is MORE than reasonable. When it becomes $10, which is probably inevitable, I would wager that inflation drove it up that high, and it's still a small price to pay if you like the custom content provided by Steam.

Welcome to Capitalism.

there are other vendors out there that sell digital copies
If I buy a game that forces me to use steam I should be able to use the workshop too.
I understand that they try to combat spam and spam accounts. But I don't think contributing to the workshop is spam. ..

I see no problem with this. Steam doesn't owe you anything. If and when it becomes $10 or $15 or $50, then we can have this discussion again.

there are other vendors out there that sell digital copies
If I buy a game that forces me to use steam I should be able to use the workshop too.
I understand that they try to combat spam and spam accounts. But I don't think contributing to the workshop is spam. ..

But that means you are no longer buying a copy of the game from Steam (they get a cut of the sale).

Think of it this way:

Store A and Store B both sells product X; Store A offers auxiliary services for consumers who purchases their products there.

You buy a X at Store B, but you try take it to store A for the auxiliary services (e.g. loyalty programs, maintenance, special deals on related stuff, etc), claiming that you should be able to get the service free (as in, no additional extra charge) on a product you did not purchase at Store A.

And now people are crying because a service they had previously received for free, is being limited by a lifetime "you must purchase Z amount of money from the company before you can use our services", that honestly extremely low is by most standards.

Top Bottom