1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

No Tech Trading!?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Takeda, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Takeda

Takeda Warlord

I don't know if this is confirmed or not, but a translation from a German magazine seems to suggest that Civ V will not allow tech trading.

I can see the benefits of this as tech trading could often be abused, but if you play on Emperor(as I do) or higher the AI receives some phenomenal research bonuses. A human player simply could not ever keep up without tech trading, and the game at high levels would become effectively impossible.

Perhaps this means that Firaxis is going to nerf tech bonuses at higher difficulty levels and the AI will simply be designed to play the game more intelligently, but I guess we'll have to see. My concern is that with no tech trading, Firaxis will either nerf the high level research bonuses and make high level play too easy, or they wont nerf the research bonuses and high level play will become impossible.

Does anyone have any more info on this?

2. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

It is true, there will be no tech trading.

It's way too early to consider how this will affect the difficulty levels as they change the difficulty levels for every game. Emperor on Civ IV will not get the same bonuses as emperor on Civ V. With a more intelligent AI this time, they'll tune down the AI difficulty bonuses.

3. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

They've said the reason for removing tech trading was because it was to easy to exploit, basically. Can't remember the exact wording, but they have talked about it.

4. Takeda

Takeda Warlord

can you provide a link? :twitch:

5. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

It is possible that removing tech trading is exactly that: removing the ability to trade one or more techs (+gold) for one or more techs (+gold).
    There may be other mechanisms such as city capture, suing for peace, gifting (e.g. from city-states), etc... through which techs, or maybe more realistically research points towards a particular tech, can be acquired.
    This might nerf the exploit but preserve the balance for players that are not tech-focused.

6. BubbaYeti

BubbaYeti Warlord

Tech trading always gave the human player a leg-up, the AI never used it as effectively as a knowledgeable player would.

7. Auncien

Auncien Prince

I view the elimination of tech trading as a positive change. It places even greater emphasis on the 'guns vs. butter decision.' More precisely, it makes you pick between conquest now or supremacy later. It also encourages one to have consistent peaceful relations with at least on rival because you're going to need that to keep up now that you can't just buy or bully your way to technological parity with the other civs while stomping across the globe all game with unit spam. It's just more realistic and better gameplay wise in my opnion.

8. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

Tech trading stinks. I'm glad it's gone.

9. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Indeed. I think it will be a very positive change. It will force the player to make quite a few more tough decisions. :)

10. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Tell that to Mansa. He has a pathological need to trade techs.

11. Hypernova

Hypernova Warlord

Yeah ultimately this is a good change. I'll be the first to admit I abuse the hell out of the mechanism as it is now. In my most recent game (Monarch difficulty) I simply overwhelmed the other 3 Civs on my continent with big stacks, my research tanking as a result, but I quickly traded and brokered my way back into the tech race when other Civs visited me from overseas.

Though remember there's tech alliances, that's a good less exploitable replacement.

12. Che Guava

Che Guava The Juicy Revolutionary

Hmmmm....I really wish they just made a distinction between which techs you could trade. For eg, exchanging knowledge about gunpowder seems reasonable, but maybe you'd have to develop your own 'nationalism'. Of course, this seems to be an issue of gameplay rather than realism, so I guess I'll just have to judge it when I see it.

13. Drago Askani

Drago Askani Warlord

As an experiment I have been playing the last couple days with no tech trading on in my civ 4 games. I know obviously it's not the same as it will be in Civ 5 but its still a good premise for practice to get used to the idea. So far I kinda like it, though things are kinda weird like this when you are used to playing with tech trading.

14. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Technologies should all leak like a sieve. It's a rare situation where people don't cross borders, whether to visit, for business, or (gasp!) espionage.

Where people go, ideas go.

15. Takeda

Takeda Warlord

i don't have any inherent objective to removing tech trading, I'm just concerned about how they will balance high level difficulty settings without tech trading. It was fundamental to keeping pace with the AI on higher difficulty levels in CivIV

16. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I already answered your question:

It's silly to think that the game developers are going to keep the skill levels exactly the same for Civ V. The skill levels were made the way they were in Civ IV for Civ IV. The developers are going to create new skill levels for Civ V since Civ V is a completely different game -- they're not going to just keep the skill levels exactly the same. The bonuses will probably reduced in Civ V since the AI is supposed to be smarter. I don't understand how you can't see it's irrational to assume Firaxis is going keep the difficulty levels the same for a completely different game.

17. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

No tech trading means AI shouldn't have insane bonus' either.

It seems trading has been nerfed quite a bit then... No tech, You don't want to trade resources, since each resource only supports a very few units. What in the world are you going to trade? Land? (I think you can do this, but it wouldn't be something you want to lay on the table often). The diplomatic options are going to be far and few between unless they have some drastic dynamic diplo options added in (hope they do).

At least leaders speak other languages for us with a big fat graphic to stare at.

18. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

From what I have read, what is removed is the strict definition of "trading a tech" (ie : "give me a tech, I'll give you something else").
    But the general concept of "trading research" still exists : what will be put in the game is something like "research agreement", which will allow two civ to mutually increase their amount of research done each turn.

19. Drago Askani

Drago Askani Warlord

For an upfront gold cost by both parties and with a limited duration.

20. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Agreed. Probably a Civ will get a research bonus towards a Tech if one or more of their neighbours already know it. That would simulate that quite well I think.