No turns?

ToastyAlbus

Chieftain
I was wondering if anyone had started a mod to make Civ 4 more like Warcraft or Age of Mythology, saying - no turns. Basically, what you'd need to do is have the game automatically end turn after whatever length, and instead of "unit will be built in so many turns" have a percentage bar that increments to 100%.

I will work on it if no one is starting...

Thanks!

woundt that be extreamly hard. I think you would have to edit the core game aspects and xml and python ect practicaly everything. the teches would have to be redone since they work on the turn system. and god nows what. Not trying to be disheartning but that is one big undertaking.:(

as i said im not trying to be disheartning. You could try.
People are talking about a mod that everytime a battle takes place you go into a real time mini battle with the units selected. If i remember the thread i will post it.;)

I've thought about it while looking through the code. It seems to me that if you made the turns blaze by so fast on a simultaneous game (one turn every tenth of a second or so) it could be accomplished. Hell, that's how Age of Empires did networked play, it was more of a great deal many small turns, it's just that the "turns" idea only dealt with where units were, not their graphics, so the entire thing was encapsulated from the player.

After I was done doing most of the coding for Civ-craft, I was gonna' see if I could tackle it. Just as an experiment, I set the turn time limit on a simultaneous game to one second. There were a few problems, most notably the fact that you couldn't keep your unit selected long enough to issue a command. The camera would jump around unit to unit, etc. However, most of that could be changed.

I guess all I can say is that it wouldn't be pretty.

Edit: BTW, you could get it so you don't have to change the XML. If the turn-based system were just sped up to the point that it was going 10 turns a second, you could make sure that every 10th turn it only checks whether to add how many hammers it's collecting. Rather than say, "A building that takes 60 hammers to make will take 60 turns", you could say that it would take 60 hammers collected, or if one hammer is collected every second in a city, 60 seconds. If a city collects 2 hammers, it could be done in 30 seconds. You could change how long or short it takes without changing any XML. The important part is that the hammers aren't collected every turn, they're collected every X turns.

so it could be done then???

jamie006 said:
so it could be done then???

Well, my crystal ball's in the shop, so I'm not quite sure. :p

It would require a bunch of SDK changes, but even then one small hickup could make it unplayable. For example, imagine that the function that keeps track of what happens to the unit the current player is controlling at the end of a turn is not inside the SDK. If that's so, it might cause the selected unit to become unselected, and if we can't stop that from happening, then a unit will never be selected long enough to do anything. In this case, we're out of luck. The only way around this is to determine what function that isinside the SDK that function is calling to determine if it's the end of the turn, make it return false, and make the game run as one long arse turn where we DO control what happens inside the SDK.

The only way to be sure, though, is to actually try it out. I'm still confident, and going to keep doing what I'm doing with Civ-craft as a way to better understand it before tackling the RTS idea.

what about the end turn button can you get rind of that???

jamie006 said:
what about the end turn button can you get rind of that???

You mean the graphic itself, or the fact that it needs to be pressed? I'm not sure about the graphic because I haven't dove too far into modding the interface, but I'm sure it's possible. For the other, there is a function called updateTestEndTurn which is called constantly to check for the persons turn to end. However, this doesn't return a true or false value, rather just sets the the "Press enter to end turn" flag (which I'm assuming also changes the shiny red button). Just for fun, I made that function end prematurely, and even when I had all my units done moving, it still wouldn't even gave me any sign that I was done with my turn.

why not buy an RTS and mod that?

Would be a hell of a lot faster.

Do you want a challenge?
See if you can make a game of civ with 2 maps. About half the modders on this forum are crying out for this.

Lord Olleus said:
Do you want a challenge?
See if you can make a game of civ with 2 maps. About half the modders on this forum are crying out for this.

why aim so low when you could be modding Civ4 into a first Person shooter? ;)

dalek master said:
why aim so low when you could be modding Civ4 into a first Person shooter? ;)

Why aim that low? How about turning Civ4 into a MMORPG, which mirrors real life perfectly.

ToastyAlbus said:
I was wondering if anyone had started a mod to make Civ 4 more like Warcraft or Age of Mythology, saying - no turns. Basically, what you'd need to do is have the game automatically end turn after whatever length, and instead of "unit will be built in so many turns" have a percentage bar that increments to 100%.

I will work on it if no one is starting...

Thanks!

I was interested in a RTS version of Civ 4 as well. However, once I saw the SDK I was quite certain it would be a massive undertaking.

In fact I want to make Civ 4 use 64-bit variables. At the momment numbers cannot go past 2.1 billion as they are all assigned longs. I'd have to completely rework every single one of them into long doubles in order to make them keep adding up. Not sure what the total would be though. Whatever 63 to the power of 2 is. :p

Just that alone would likely take a month or more and all I wanted this for was so that the population would add up past 2.1 billion on the info screen. :p

However, if someone is able to redo Civ4 into a RTS game, I'd certainly be interested. :D

The Great Apple said:

I presume you mean 2^63...

I doubt you'll ever need that many people :eek:

Hehe yeah that sounds like the right number. :p

LOL and yeah you are right no one would ever need that many ppl however, I don't think it is possible programming wise to go in between 32 bit and 64 bit variables.

Still if we had that there would no longer be a pop cap of 2.1billion. I mean it is sort of annoying to have 25 cities, each with 100 million+ pop and my total saying only 2.1 billion or so. :p

Top Bottom