No Victory Scenes?!

TimNewbie

Chieftain
Hi all,

finally many bugs were kicked out of the Apple version, so I could finish a game for the first time! Won the space race....my rocket aired and....nothing. I won, that's it! No victory scene where the sapceship enters hyperspace like in CIV 4.

Anybody else missing this too?

I don't really think its necessary. CiV has persistent graphical theme all the way through, the 'paintings'. I quite like the paintings, and seeing as we get one for each wonder, the last victory painting at the end seems to tie it up.

That said, considering the great quality (even though irritating and indefinite disabled) into video, it seems a shame they 'couldn't be bothered to make more shorter ones to end the game with

agreed. What game now days doesn't have a victory screen? What's the point of achieving victory?

I fully agree with this piece being needed. One of the most rewarding aspects of IV was the sense of accomplishment and completion at endgame. Civ V victories feel more like "You win the level. Prepare for Stage 2."

i miss the replay...

That.

I used to watch replays every time after a civ3 (never played civ4) game, even if I lost it, just because it was so fun seeing the world getting build up from scratch, then seeing that American city fall into the hands of the Egyptians and saying to yourself something like "oh yeah I remember that! Next they're gonna raze that city" etc etc.
I'd really love to see it again someday in CiV.

Cheers to that. Watching the replay was far and away one of my favorite things to do post game. Found myself narrating the history of the world to myself so many times....

It's just another proof that 2k forced to rush that game, I bet that with sufficient time they would have had victory movies.

The Civ 5 intro movie is gorgeous, so with that graphical detail the end movies could have been amazing.

It's just another proof that 2k forced to rush that game, I bet that with sufficient time they would have had victory movies.

The Civ 5 intro movie is gorgeous, so with that graphical detail the end movies could have been amazing.

Bingo. The game was rushed out by greedy 2K Games. :mad:

The intro movie was nice. Too bad you can't skip it easily though. :p

I guess it's the "plague" of today's games. They really sacrifice deep gameplay for good graphics.

But to stay on topic, isn't there a way for a modder to come up with a solution?

Modders can certainly do a lot about this, aesthetically. Adding replays and full custom movies might be a bit much as of now, though.

To be honest i never paid attention to the victory videos, and you probably at the time didnt really think much about them. I like the art clips better the victory videos just a little to corney for my taste. If 2k games realy wanted to they could have tweaked the civ 4 victory vids and nobody could tell the diference. Now I know civ 5 has flaws, but i dont think victory videos are one of them

I like the paintings for the wonders, I feel like there should be a bit more for when you win the game though...

At least what I understand of game development, lots of those high quality pre-rendered videos are actually outsourced to different studios who do computer animation. I don't think 2K didn't give them enough time to make them, I think they didn't give them enough money to pay someone to do it!!

I think it's less the "What, no video?!" element, and more just the overall sense of cut corners, with one of the more obvious ones being the lack of victory scenes (other than paintings). It just feels...cheap. Which it probably was, actually. Same with the wonder videos. They don't actually add much (god knows I've skipped through 'em plenty), but they're a nice touch. I think the decision here was "Yeah, but how much real bang do we get for our buck with these?" And the answer was "Not a lot, really."

That said, I think if people weren't generally dissatisfied with the GAMEPLAY they wouldn't care about the videos. It wouldn't be as big a deal if folks were having fun just playing the game. But as soon as you make it boring for them, they start looking elsewhere for some kind of reward for firing up the game, and the paintings ain't cuttin' it.

Considering how horrible intro videos were for CIV3 and 4, CIV V itro is awesome. It also probably ate up the $ for cutscenes. I don't miss the final cutscenes from CIV4 either. What I do miss is the graphs etc. Oh, the wonder movies were always okay.

Top Bottom