No way to defend city state without huge warmonger penalty?

Peng Qi

Emperor
Is this WAD? You can't demand countries make peace anymore, you can't gift units, and so the only way to defend a city-state ally is to declare war on whoever attacked them. If you're not denouncing them the only way is a "surprise" war (Surprise! We've decided to defend the tiny nation who is allied with us who did nothing to you who you're trying to annex for no discernible reason!). Even if you do denounce them, you can do a "formal" war which still has huge warmonger penalties.

How is protecting an insignificant nation from the wanton aggression of a major power "warmongering?" Why is there no "you're at war with our city state ally" CB? For that matter, why is there no "you're at war with my ally period" CB?

I like the base design of this game but it's absolutely riddled with flaws and bugs right now.

There is a CB about city states, but it only comes midway through the game (whichever civic gives like 4 or 5 different CB).

Especially with the CB system, I'd like there to be more variety in wars, so you're not simply at war or not with another faction. It would be cool if there was a "city state liberation" war, where you can essentially declare war, but the only combat happens either in neutral ground, or on the terrain of the city state. That would give the other power the option to declare a full war against you if they wish, but it would be awesome to basically go around and liberate city states. Especially if I have a nice city state next to me that I'm either suzerain with or want to work towards, would be great to let my military battle without committing to a full-on war, of course with a huge diplo penalty to the civ in question, but potentially a positive modifier to other civs.

The causic belli defensive war comes really to late in the game.
Olso the warmonger penalties for declaring war are to high.

Olso the warmonger penalties for declaring war are to high.
And it doesn't seem to apply to the diplomacy AI. They should at least get the same kinds of marks for being warmongers. Might keep them from randomly surprise waring everyone every other turn.

I'm pretty sure the Protectorate War Casus Belli only apply after the city state has been captured, which is really annoying, it should be available immediately following a declaration of war.

And it doesn't seem to apply to the diplomacy AI. They should at least get the same kinds of marks for being warmongers. Might keep them from randomly surprise waring everyone every other turn.

Are you certain about that? I had Roosevelt go from a 33/33/33 split of good/neutral/bad relations to universally loathed when he surprise-DoWed me in the Industrial Era. (And proceeded to swarm me with Warriors and Battering Rams. :wallbash:)

Top Bottom