No Win Vista for me - Xbox 360 convert

I will not be upgrading to Win Vista.

Some day...

I said the same thing about XP when it was the thing. I held out for a long, long time, but once all the early adopters have done the post-release beta-testing, it just gets more and more inevitable...

I think the general feeling around here (or is it just me?) is that Civ wouldn't work on a console because of the control issues. I wouldn't want to play without a keyboard, and a lot of people wouldn't trade their mouse. Not to say it would never happen, but I don't think it's terribly likely. Wouldn't make enough money and would give a poor first impression to the console community.

On the other hand, they just announced a SimCity for DS, so you never know.

Yeah screw Vista and Microsoft for releasing it when windows XP is still working perfectly. Just pure greed on their part, I'll get a Ps3 version of civ if one comes out for it.

Actually Civ 1 was on the SNES. (8 buttons and a D-pad)
Civ 2 was on PS1. (10 buttons and a D-pad)

Xbox, Xbox360, PS2, and PS3 have 12 buttons, a D pad (4-8 more buttons), and 2 joysticks. (Movement and camera control)

It is possible but the interface would just need work.

I will not be upgrading to Win Vista. So if a Civ game comes out that requires it, I ain't buying it. How about a civ game for xbox 360?

lol so you're gonna stick it to Microsoft by buying their console and then paying them more to buy games for it instead of buying their new OS?
forgive me for saying so, but that seems kind of silly.

Moderator Action: Welcome to CFC! :wavey:

(well, first post at least! you did join a while ago!)

I'm not really sure what to do with this thread - its sort-of civ (but no specific Civ1 / Civ2 Civ3 or Civ4 flavour), and sort-of computers. Flipped a coin and moved it to computer talk.

Yeah screw Vista and Microsoft for releasing it when windows XP is still working perfectly. Just pure greed on their part, I'll get a Ps3 version of civ if one comes out for it.
You do realize that Microsoft started working on Vista a long time ago, right? You can blame them for wanting to release a new product. Once they hit the saturation limit for XP ( when so many people have it thats its hard to sell many new copies) they had to release a new OS to keep making money. Its just too bad that the OS kinda fails.

Basically they are releasing a product there is no real need for, but they try to force everyone to buy it anyway because new stuff will only work with it. Seems like a huge scam to me.

I said the same thing about XP when it was the thing. I held out for a long, long time, but once all the early adopters have done the post-release beta-testing, it just gets more and more inevitable...
I remember when Windows XP came out that I was oblivious to it's release and still running on Windows 98 at the time. It was not until I got a new computer that I was introduced to Windows XP.

Basically they are releasing a product there is no real need for, but they try to force everyone to buy it anyway because new stuff will only work with it. Seems like a huge scam to me.

Really the only thing to be said here is that there's no pleasing the MS haters.

Think about it, put yourself in their shoes:
They are a big company which relies on the sales of its OS to make money. Their last product is starting to reach a saturation point where they just cant sell enough to keep a good profit. They have to release something new, and they have to make people want/need it. it might seem like an ******* tactic, to force people to use it, and I myself disapprove of it, but I can see why they're doing it too.

Microsoft has to come up with something that will close the distance between them and other operating system so that people will keep buying Microsoft..

Actually Civ 1 was on the SNES. (8 buttons and a D-pad)
Civ 2 was on PS1. (10 buttons and a D-pad)

Xbox, Xbox360, PS2, and PS3 have 12 buttons, a D pad (4-8 more buttons), and 2 joysticks. (Movement and camera control)

It is possible but the interface would just need work.
The PS/2 also has two USB ports. IIRC, the Xbox 360 uses USB ports to connect the wired controllers. So assuming that the new/next gen consoles have USB ports, it's not that hard to get a keyboard (or a special controller specifically designed for a game) to work with the console.

As for Vista, I've been using XP since before it was released. I've been pretty happy with it. But as I recall there was a fair amount of critics against XP when it came out. Seems like a lot of the same arguements. XP was, IMO, the best release MS had at the time. Now we're seeing a lot of critics against Vista. Same story, different day. :shrug: While I'm not going to run out and buy Vista, I think eventually it could be a decent OS. Certainly the system requirements are pretty high, but considering Moore's Law in a year or two the systems will be able to handle Vista easily. I can wait until then to pick a copy up.

I have an old PC, it's going on 4 years. I build my on PC's. I am not planning on upgrading. The cost is just too much for the hardware, IMHO.

It's not an MS hate thing either. I make a living programming in Windows.

I just want my favorite game out on my newly favorite platform, that's all.

All the same things were said about Windows XP when it was lauched in 2001.
I will get it, but not for my current PC may be late 2008 before i jump in with a new desk top. Might be getting a laptop this year, so may be in Q3 2007 i'll get my first taste of Vista.

While I'm not going to run out and buy Vista, I think eventually it could be a decent OS. Certainly the system requirements are pretty high, but considering Moore's Law in a year or two the systems will be able to handle Vista easily. I can wait until then to pick a copy up.

[wiki]Wirth's law[/wiki] ;)

Now, in the past, computers were actually fast enough to run the systems that came out....

Top Bottom