1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

No WW2 Scenario?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Brave Jay, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Brave Jay

Brave Jay Warlord

Is anyone besides myself completely stunned that there will be no ww2 scenario in the up comming expansion? I was grinning with confidence when i saw the churchill and stalin leaders added, but now am perplexed, disappointed in firaxis. A WW2 scenario in Europe would totally rock, and i think it is firaxis's duty to make one. I know that some awesome modders will make a nice one, but they shouldn't have to because Firaxis should have made one in this expansion. WW2 European front Scenario. NO BRAINER:mad:

2. cairo140

cairo140 2+2=5

WWII = Hitler = Bad for Business (or so they think)

3. Bongo-Bongo

Bongo-Bongo The Master

Its not the duty of Firaxis to make one, although it would be nice.

And its not definite that there isn't going to be one. Maybe Firaxis know how many pople want this and are keeping it a secret to suprise people. Maybe one will appear in a different expansion pack in the future. We'll have to wait and see.

4. Brave Jay

Brave Jay Warlord

by being their "duty" to make one, I was refering to the fact that they make games to sell and make money, but they won't sell any games and make any money if they don't release a product that serves the needs or wants of their consumers. Their consumers, which happen to be video game players, want a ww2 scenario in europe(at least i believe). So If it is their mission to make as much profit as possible, doesn't it make sense that they would have a responsibility, or "duty" to make as many of their consumers as happy as possible?

5. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

It is true. If they included a Hitler leader, they couldn't sell it in Germany, one of there biggest markets.

In addition, WW2 in Europe, is so passe. It's been done plenty of times. If you really want WW2 in greater depth than the Civ engine can do there are plenty of alternatives out there.

6. Bongo-Bongo

Bongo-Bongo The Master

I highly doubt the fact that there is no WWII scenario is going to have a significant impact on sales.

People who always wanted an expansion will buy it, those who didn't, wont.

I highly doubt many people are going to think" Well I really wanted this, but theres no WWII scenario so I'm not buying it".

7. Brave Jay

Brave Jay Warlord

Maybe so. But on the flip side of the argument, why not reach out to someone else in the consumer market, even if its just a little thing such as a ww2 scenario. those who start to think, "i can just make some crap, or whatever i feel like making, and they will buy it anyway" are not long for the business world. I seem to remember in civ 2 they had a ww2 scenario that was pretty cool. anyway, its just my honest opinion. do they have to make one to sell games? no. but would it possibly increase popularity or excitement if they did. Maybe. My question is why not?

8. Pac1fist

Pac1fist Chieftain

Wait a minute, my Civ II has a WW2 scenerio, and Hitler is the leader!
    how come that was okay? He should be playable in the WW2 scenerio only.

9. Arms Longfellow

Arms Longfellow Warlord

Probably because in Civ II it was just the letters "Hitler". If it was in Civ IV, you'd have to have a portrait and everything.

10. Vael

Vael Shadow Angel

There are so many people making WWII scenarios here that Firaxis would only be duplicating their efforts - and in the end people would only be upset because they expect specific things from such a scenario(like supply lines, more detailed combat, a gazillion unit types, etc.). They will only end up disappointed anyways. That aside, I would be surprised if Firaxis (where you have 1 or 2 people working on it for a few months) could match the time put in by people here over the course of years. No slight to Firaxis or its designers of course, it's just a simple fact of time... when you have unlimited time and a fairly large team you can accomplish much more than when you lack those.

Look on the bright side - now the people working on WWII here will have more official leaderheads to use. ;)

11. Pac1fist

Pac1fist Chieftain

Civ II had portraits too remember?

12. Greek Stud

Greek Stud Prince

Mussolini, Frans Ferdinand, Venezelos, Ataturk

You would need too many leaderheads.
    Bulgaria
    Serbia
    Austria-Hungary
    Czechoslovakia
    Poland
    Switzerland
    Portugual
    Netherlands
    Ireland
    Norway
    Sweden
    Finland
    Lithuania
    Ukraine
    Georgia
    Armenia
    Turkey
    Albania (SS Division)

13. Veteranewbie

Veteranewbie Prince

Nah, it may not even starts like that, it may just startup that Germany has just conquered Poland, most of those tiny nations aren't included, and USSR has controlled most of the land east to German-occupied Poland

14. AsnoT

AsnoT Mostly Civilized

PLEASE get a clue about the difference between world wars one and two.
    the above is a wild mixture of both.

for example, austria-hungary did not EXIST after WWI, and franZ ferdinand was never a leader - he was the crown prince. Franz Joseph and Karl were the emperors in question.

same goes for mustafa kemal atatürk, who died in 1938 and was very much a WW1 figure.

SWITZERLAND on the other hand was neutral in BOTH wars, and had little to do with them - apart from financing the nazis a bit on the side. in a scenario, they should be no-man's land, no leaderhead needed.

15. Crash757

Crash757 King

Lol, then why do other companies make games about WWII ? :lol:

16. SonicX

SonicX Emperor

Wrong.
    I like Civ a lot as a game and I was planning on buying every expansion available, but now this re-enforced emphasis on the earlier ages (which were already overemphasized in my opinion) really is a let down for me. It's also not what the people have been asking throughout the forum ...
    I guess Firaxis really can't compare to Stardock in customer support and granting costumer wishes...
    I mean, 2 traits, some units, some civs and 6 scenario's... that's an update, not an expansion. An expansion would be a new tech tree for ancient custom games, for medieval custom games, for modern (post 1800) custom games... not some minor additions that hardly are more of an update than the mods we're gonna see when the SDK comes out.

17. jimbob27

jimbob27 Emperor

I don't think they see it as bad for business or something.......every other developer sees ww2 as ww$, if theres some way of adding controvacy as well, that just means more $. Its probably just Sid decided there's too much ww2 crap out there already, and that he'd rather the effort was put into something he liked more. In interviews he's always going on about the Romans and stuff, so I'm sure he prefers the ancient stuff.

18. Bongo-Bongo

Bongo-Bongo The Master

Do you really think that sales will be effected greatly by this though? I dont. Out of the people who want to buy the expansion pack, most of them still will regardless of what gets added to the game.

I to am a bit dissapointed by what has been announced so far and would be very dissapointed if this was all that got added, but lets not forget that this is just the first announcement. More features could well be announced at a later date. Lets hope so at least.

19. SonicX

SonicX Emperor

Sales probably won't really be affected, I didn't claim that. It's just a pity that such a small addition will have to be paid for, I just don't think it's worthy of the name "expansion"
    But it will get sold anyhow ... perhaps that's the really sad part of it all as it will never improve this way.

20. n0xie

n0xie OCC-addict

They might just make another expansion with WWI and WWII and maybe a future WWIII... Who knows...

All the scenarios in the Warlords series have wars all before 1300 AD. That leaves quite a lot of 'modern' wars untouched. Who's to tell when they start tapping into those?