1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

No WW2 Scenario?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Brave Jay, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Carcosa

Carcosa Chieftain

There are no portraits in the Civ II WW2 campaign, though. While Hitler is in it, he's nothing more than the name "Consul Hitler".

Though I see making a distinction between naming Hitler and showing a picture of Hitler as being a little ridiculous myself.

2. AsnoT

AsnoT Mostly Civilized

the problem is not a hitler portrait, the problem is in the nazi symbols (swastika, SS runes, etc) reproduction of THOSE is forbidden in germany.

3. josephstalin

josephstalin Kremlin Highlander

There were scenarios on WWII in a lot of civs. Get over it.

4. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Because it takes a good bit of time to do one. In business time = money. They are given a budget for the project and decide what features make the cut. Besides that, the people making the scenarios may not want to play a WW2 scenario.

5. Crash757

Crash757 King

6. mitsho

mitsho Deity

1. They provide you with two (or more, we don't know yet) high-qualitative leaderheads so you could do your own scenario, and this will certainly be done very soon after the release of the expansion.
    2. look at the scenarios in it, they are all ancient with two medieval ones, the latest being the Mongol conquests in 13th century. So, you can expect that the next expansion will have more more recent scenarios, for sure. But this time, it's the old world that counts. ;)

mitsho

7. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

There are roughly two million WWII simulations available on the market. I for one am glad they spent time on something else.

8. Hamminator

Hamminator Chieftain

Well they need 2 million and one! If they are that worried about Hitler replace his picture with a flag. WARLORDS is the name of the expanision and World War One and Two are the 2 biggest wars in history. I really think people are more interested in wwii than china becoming a nation.

9. Falken65

Falken65 Chieftain

From Wikipedia on German Hate Law:

Volksverhetzung is a peculiarity of German law that often applies in trials relating holocaust denial in Germany.

Though freedom of speech is guaranteed by the fifth article of the Grundgesetz (Germany's constitution), there are some restrictions, e.g. personal insults or incitement of the people (German: "Volksverhetzung" - known as hate speech in other legislatures). Volksverhetzung includes the spreading of Neo-Nazi ideas and the use of related symbols like the swastika, except for purposes of art, research or education.

Volksverhetzung is a punishable offense under Section 130 of the Strafgesetzbuch (Germany's criminal code) and can lead to up to five years imprisonment. Crimes committed by Section 130 are punishable in Germany even if committed abroad, and even if committed by non-German citizens.

I doubt Firaxis would want to lose distribution in the entire EU. A total EU ban on Nazi symbols has already been asked for by German politicians over a tabloid picture of Britain's Prince Harry wearing a swastika armband at a party. A total EU ban hasn't happened yet, but Germany isn't the only country supporting such a ban: http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,337722,00.html

NOTE: this post is for informational purposes only, any idea that I'm taking a side for or against Nazi symbols or leaders in games is purely in your imagination.