[BTS] Nobles' Club 200 - Willem of the Dutch

@JSS
Spoiler :

You are having a very nice game there I think!
I was found by the AIs on this map, and iirc, I barely got into the trading game with astro on this map. (Or perhaps it was through a chemistry bulb?).
That you got trades from early optics stuff is really impressive, good work handling the early expansion!
Pacal was such a troll against me on this map that I will rejoyce to see some screenshots of your cannons up against his cities!

Regarding your current situation and tech:
There was a time where I really liked Mansa. But I dislike him more and more these days...

Zara and Mansa are pleased with each other, Mansa has rifling and Zara has Physics+Steel.
I would have troubles keeping my cool in that situation. Would drop rifling to Zara (and probably justantin) like a hot rock.

Darius and Cathrine are both less advanced, so there is less likelyhood that they will get Rifling (and RP) from any of them. Although it could happen that Justantin gives it away to have Cathrine join the war?
Pacal won't get anything from anyone I think, better just keep him stupid, especially since you will roll over him first.

Thanks for the kind words, @krikav
Spoiler :

I eventually went for the safe option as you suggested and got what I could for Rifling, trading RP to Pacal for Corporation and Rifling for the other stuff on the next turn. Few things in this game are more frustrating than taking a risk and having it backfire.

I've played a few turns and the way the war between Justinian and Darius is going doesn't look too good.
Spoiler :

Justinian is ROLLING over Darius. He's taken 2 cities within 3 turns and is continuing to push with his stack of cannons/grenadiers towards Pasargadae. Before I moved my warrior on the stack, I had vision of Pasargadae and there were 4-5 Riflemen and a few medieval units. He's not going to last too long against Justinian I'm afraid, and there's no way I can make peace between them. I was hoping they'd keep smashing their armies against one another, but oh well. :crazyeye: Given how Justinian likes to build units and Darius doesn't this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, @krikav
Spoiler :

I eventually went for the safe option as you suggested and got what I could for Rifling, trading RP to Pacal for Corporation and Rifling for the other stuff on the next turn. Few things in this game are more frustrating than taking a risk and having it backfire.

I've played a few turns and the way the war between Justinian and Darius is going doesn't look too good.
Spoiler :

Justinian is ROLLING over Darius. He's taken 2 cities within 3 turns and is continuing to push with his stack of cannons/grenadiers towards Pasargadae. Before I moved my warrior on the stack, I had vision of Pasargadae and there were 4-5 Riflemen and a few medieval units. He's not going to last too long against Justinian I'm afraid, and there's no way I can make peace between them. I was hoping they'd keep smashing their armies against one another, but oh well. :crazyeye: Given how Justinian likes to build units and Darius doesn't this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Spoiler :

Hmm...seems like you have a potentially bad case of runaway AI on your hands. Justinian does have a tendency to get big, yes...speaking from personal experience.

After capping Pacal I recommend seeing if you can cap Cathy or Mansa with rifles/cannons - he has a resist capitulation stat of 0/10 and she's behind so it shouldn't be hard (you're going to have to make a judgement call as to whether or not they can get infantry in this short of a timeframe). If not it's not the end of the world, but regardless, with your 1 or 2 vassals tech towards tanks and nukes. Target the AI's main stack(s) with 3 ICBMs each and then unleash 50-100 tanks (maybe with air support) and he should fall quickly even if he has a vassal and modern armor.

Oh, and get communism. It's an unparalleled economic civic and will essentially increase your break-even BPT by 50%, maybe more.

Why're you running your culture slider?

Last edited:
Reactions: JSS
Spoiler :

Hmm...seems like you have a potentially bad case of runaway AI on your hands. Justinian does have a tendency to get big, yes...speaking from personal experience.

After capping Pacal I recommend seeing if you can cap Cathy or Mansa with rifles/cannons - he has a resist capitulation stat of 0/10 and she's behind so it shouldn't be hard (you're going to have to make a judgement call as to whether or not they can get infantry in this short of a timeframe). If not it's not the end of the world, but regardless, with your 1 or 2 vassals tech towards tanks and nukes. Target the AI's main stack(s) with 3 ICBMs each and then unleash 50-100 tanks (maybe with air support) and he should fall quickly even if he has a vassal and modern armor.

Oh, and get communism. It's an unparalleled economic civic and will essentially increase your break-even BPT by 50%, maybe more.

Spoiler :

As I've played further, I don't think the situation's that bad. Justinian is willing to get off Darius's back for the price of 1400 gold. He must've had his ass whooped in a fight somewhere, so I'm not sure whether to let them keep having at it or stop the fight.There's a wounded stack of cannons I can see, but 2 tiles behind there's another stack of grenadiers/other stuff following. Justinian already has infantry though, so maybe I don't get another chance to have them quit if I don't do it now. Justinian may upgrade a bunch of units to infantry, get his power ratio go up and the price of peace shoots through the roof outside of my reach. I'd like to see the fight go on for a few more turns because Justinian has clearly lost units somewhere, but I'll probably bribe him off to stay on the safe side. It's not worth taking an unnecessary risk here.

War against Pacal
Spoiler :

Units killed/lost
Spoiler :

I'm lacking so many happiness resources that culture slider at 20% gives me the highest gpt. I switched to rep at the end of my golden age which I think was a mistake. Because of this I sent some of my garrisoning warriors over to the other continent to scout. When I declared on Pacal the deal for fur got cancelled, but I'm about to get fur online again soon, so that will help a bit.

About Communism, I've had it for quite some time. I haven't switched into SP yet because I've been waiting for my 2nd golden age, but I think I should've. Not switching was definitely a mistake.

Last edited:
@JSS
Spoiler :

Ah, seeing Pacals cities fall cheers me up, and warms my heart!

Regarding Justantin, I would hesitate to accept paying up a 1400bribe to stop them from fightning. But in similar situations I often try to beef up the losing side by giving them techs.
Perhaps you can bribe Mansa against Justantin cheaper?
Probably no immediate danger, but if Darius capitulates they will probably go for Mansa next, and there is also the possibility that Zara peacevassals to his close friend.

Spoiler :

As I've played further, I don't think the situation's that bad. Justinian is willing to get off Darius's back for the price of 1400 gold. He must've had his ass whooped in a fight somewhere, so I'm not sure whether to let them keep having at it or go in the middle. There's a wounded stack of cannons I can see, but 2 tiles behind there's another stack of grenadiers/other stuff following. Justinian already has infantry though, so maybe I don't get another chance to have them quit if I don't do it now. Justinian may upgrade a bunch of units to infantry, get his power ratio go up and the price of peace shoots through the roof outside of my reach. I'd like to see the fight go on for a few more turns because Justinian has clearly lost units somewhere, but I'll probably bribe him off to stay on the safe side. It's not worth taking an unnecessary risk here.

War against Pacal
Spoiler :

Units killed/lost
Spoiler :

I'm lacking so many happiness resources that culture slider at 20% gives me the highest gpt. I switched to rep at the end of my golden age which I think was a mistake. Because of this I sent some of my garrisoning warriors over to the other continent to scout. When I declared on Pacal the deal for fur got cancelled, but I'm about to get fur online again soon, so that will help a bit.

About Communism, I've had it for quite some time. I haven't switched into SP yet because I've been waiting for my 2nd golden age, but I think I should've. Not switching was definitely a mistake.

Spoiler :

Great job!!!

One minor nitpick - when besiegeing cities try to place your armies on a road. That way when the city falls and the culture is removed your units can move 2-3 tiles instead of 1 because they're already on a road and so get the move bonus.

@krikav
Spoiler :

I haven't read your game report yet but I take it Pacal was being annoying in your game. I'm making sure he doesn't get off light here.

1400 gold is a steep price to pay, but if it buys parity between AIs for a while I might do it. I think I checked that it was the best and only deal available, but I might have to check again. If I can bribe Mansa against Justinian, that'd be great but iirc. he wasn't willing to go for it. Zara peace vassaling to Justinian is definitely a realistic possibility. Him going to war with Catherine wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it means he takes a couple of cities and becomes too big to peace vassal. Dealing with two moderately strong AIs is easier than with one monster.

I'll wait a couple of turns until Justinian is at the gates of the next city of Darius just in case Darius hits his stacks out of nowhere with a bunch of Cannons, but I'm not counting on it. If nothing better is available, I'll buy the peace deal then.

@Undefeatable
Spoiler :

Thanks. Yeah that was a mistake on my part. I think it was a good time to stop playing when I did, seeing as how sloppy my play was towards the end.

Top Bottom