1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] Nobles' Club 205: Darius I of the Persians

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Pangaea, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

The Nobles' Club series started out as a way for Noble-level (and below) players to improve their game. Most of the original participants now play at much higher levels, so this has become a way for advanced players to help others learn to play better. You can play your own game at any level and with any mod, but it would be nice to comment on the games of other players and give them advice.

Our next leader is Darius I of Persia. The Persians start with Agriculture and Hunting.

NC 205 Darius .png

• Financial
      • +1:commerce: on tiles with at least 2:commerce:
    • Organized:
      • -50% Civic upkeep costs
      • Double production speed of Lighthouse, Factory, and Courthouse
    • Immortal: Chariot with 50% bonus vs. Archery units. Receives defensive bonuses too!
    • Apothecary: Grocer with an extra +2:health:

And the start:

NC 205 Darius start.jpg

Spoiler map details :
    Shuffle with low sea level and one additional AI, so 7 opponents combined. No other edits were made to the map.

Finally, a cut and paste of our standard doctrine:The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC number Leader Noble" (or Monarch, etc., for higher levels). You can play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.
    Spoiler what's up with specific difficulties :
    In each scenario file you can select your level of difficulty, but that doesn't give the AI the right bonus techs by itself. Use the Noble save for all levels at and below Prince. The Monarch save gives all the AI Archery. Emperor adds Hunting; Immortal adds Agriculture; Deity adds The Wheel.

For players on Monarch or above, you should add archery as a tech for the barbarians (if you don't, the AI will capture their cities very early). This cannot be done in the WB save file and must be done in Worldbuilder as follows:
    Spoiler how to add techs to the barbarians :

1. Zoom in all the way so you can't see the rest of the map.
    2. Use the CTRL-W key (or the menu) to enter the worldbuilder. Avoid looking at the mini-map in the lower right corner.
    3. By default you're in "player" mode (look in the box in the upper right; the icon that looks like a person should be selected). You'll get a drop down menu labeled with your leader's name. Barbarians are at the bottom, so cover the rest of the list with your hand if you don't want to see who else is on the map. Select "Barbarians".
    4. Select the "Technologies" tab in the box on the left.
    5. Find Archery (the arrow head icon; 8th row, 3rd column from the right) and click it.
    6. Exit the worldbuilder.
    7. Zoom out again after the map fades, and start playing.
    If you're playing at higher level than Monarch, consider also giving them Hunting at Emperor, Agriculture at Immortal, and The Wheel at Deity.
    Spoiler huts and events :
    Note: The standard saves have no huts and have events turned off. If you want tribal villages and random events, choose the saves with "Huts" in their names. If you want huts but no events, select the Huts saves and use Custom Scenario to turn on the option that suppresses events.

Attached Files:

elementoffear and Olafeson like this.
  2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Please let me know if there is anything wonky with the zip or files, and I'll try to fix it. Have fun! :)

3. Olafeson

Olafeson Prince

Very nice meme with the horse. :lol: Thanks for the map.

Pangaea likes this.
  4. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Have already forgot stuff about the map, apart from the overall shape as I did no editing, so I fired up the game wanting to play it myself. I'm looking at settling options, and damn, this is a tough one. I found it really hard to decide. First where to move, then where to settle based on new information.

Think I'll take my chance on this in T1.
    Spoiler :
    Really wanted to have at least one gold, but it would gain even more FPs and no hills to speak of. Or possibly waste another turn. There also appears to be coast in the west, so I'm worried about killing possible seafood. Therefore I'll take my chances here. The banana was a surprise, although it's sad we need IW first. Hopefully something good pops up in the shadows, although I must admit the most likely is probably just green jungle tiles. Well, back into the game to actually settle and see what pops up.

9 FPs is rather a lot, but it's only 3 :yuck: so should be okay I think. Shame about only one true hill and missing the golds, but I hope there is food over there so a city can work the golds. Otherwise I have so sacrifice some capital FPs for farms.

Edit: I'm dumb. Jungle adds :yuck: too ofc, so when seeing a 20-turn worker I cheated and restarted, and settled where I moved to on the first turn: diagonally NW. 7 FPs, although only the one food now, since the banana is outside BFC.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  5. Olafeson

Olafeson Prince

Deity Turn T 58 No Huts / No Events

Spoiler :

Went to settle 1 N on the PH to keep some forests, get 2 extra floodplains ( 1FP adds 0.4:yuck: Unhealthiness, so 4 floodplains make only +1:yuck: in total.), also to get the PH for a mine, so i can produce some archers.

Tech path : AH (no horsies :cry:) - mining - archery - BW -wheel - pottery

:mad:Barbs:mad: First i lost my scout to a barb archer and warrior surround near the goldmines, then i made 1 warrior and 3 archers before settler. 1 archer moved to the gold mines and 1 to the east and 1 on the banana. Nothing can happen? Wrong!!!!!:eek:

Suddenly 3 archers and 2 barb warriors approach from jungle and the south.....
    I have to retreat with 2 archers to defend my capital and my improved tiles. I survived but The damage has been done.:badcomp:

They smashed 2 FP farms, a PH mine and my improved pasture on the pig. Basically destroyed my early game and 25 worker turns. :eek::eek::eek: All improved tiles gone:crazyeye:, they even moved past my capital just to smash my pigs.

And i even had 3 archers. Raging barbarians indeed. What a horrendous start. I hope i can recover somehow, if not i will definetly replay the map.

Never have been so unlucky with barbs in years of immortal/deity games. And i expected horsies in BFC and some wimp neighbours like Willem or gandhi to take my horses and visit their capital for a good raid. :D Guess i was wrong. This jungle really has some unfriendly barbarian tribes in it.

Anyway more or less now safe from barbs, and i can settle 2 more cities on the Floodplains and 1 more to the south with cow. With so much FP and financial cottages i still might be able to recover.
    upload_2019-3-29_17-34-5.png

6. FlyinJohnnyL

FlyinJohnnyL You need more workers....

I haven't done a Noble's Club map in....maybe 5 years? I've got a little time this weekend, I'll give it a go. Feels good to be playing the game again!

Pangaea and Olafeson like this.
  7. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

@Olafeson
    Spoiler :
    Sorry to hear that. Barbs appear to be pretty brutal here, and the start is worse than I thought.

Maybe not much consolation, but I got screwed by barbs too. Fogbusted pretty darn well, but they still popped up every which way. When a spear invaded from the south I couldn't deal with it. He tore a woodie2 in a forest to pieces, and then a freshly OF-produced warrior in the PH-city, and took the cow city. Didn't have the heart to continue after that. Maybe I'll retry. I may actually have to self-tech Archery here. Goddamnit.

I happened to do something very unusual for me (first time?), and settled on top of the gold for the third city.3 :commerce: city tile is kinda nice, and the instant happy boost likewise. With no real food I figured "Will I really be able to work both gold mines within the next 1000 turns?"

In hindsight maybe I should have moved the horses nearer to make the early game more manageable, especially on immortal and deity (there are some horses, but not in the capital BFC).

Interesting that you settled on the green hill. Had it been a PH I would have found that more tempting. Didn't like all the plains to the east, so went a bit further NW. But I'm honestly not sure what is best here, even with hindsight knowledge. Had 1NW had fresh water I'd probably settle there, but I find it a bit tough due to lacking water.

8. Olafeson

Olafeson Prince

@Pangaea

Spoiler :
    Feels bad man. :crazyeye: To get destroyed by barb in early game always feels like losing the game before it has even started. If i lose the map i probably replay it and go straight mining - archery and ignore the pig and just farm the FP. Hope you will give this map another try. I think it is fine as long as you go early archery and be careful. But to be honest i have not seen so many barbs in a game for a long time. Even later i had again 3 barb fights in only 1 turn.

My idea behind the plains hill was to get more FP but avoid avoid getting 2 :yuck: Unhealtiness, plains hill to build archers and later to help with settlers/workers until whip. I made the expierence that you can build a settler at size 3 or 4 very comfortable with 1 good food source (pigs or dry corn/rice) and a mine.
    Also would have kept 3 hills, i really do not like to settle my capital without any hills, maybe just personal preference but i do not want to rely merely on slavery for production.

Have not yet found the horses though^^, you did hide them well.

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Take 2 - T61 and @Olafeson
    Spoiler :
    Started another attempt now when I got home from an evening with some mates. This time I tried to play it safe with early Archery. Still a rough patch, mind you. The scout died as he first got attacked by a lion, and then a panther jumped out from the shadows and tore him limb from limb. Didn't get much mileage out of him. Was on a jungled hill too.

A barb city popped up in T42 in the south, near where I planned to settle. Very early! A barb archer was also lumbering about near the coast SW. At some point the flip switched, and everybody homed in on us. Hadn't I teched early Archery, we'd be dead -- I'm pretty sure about that. Thankfully the barb archer attacked while my dude was on a mined hill. Two turns after two barb warriors reached him, and assaulted him while my guy still hadn't healed up. Thankfully I won both, although barely. Another archer had just got out in the capital, so we would have been fine had he lost too. It's just that every single loss so early matters a great deal. Had some fortune in the west too. A warrior moved into a good fogbust location, but met a barb archer. But he won! Only jungle (no hill) and no fortification so it was pretty much a coin-flip battle.

Settle 1N of the gold this time. Decided it was better, as long as I farmed the FPs. An archer out there too, and I was going to use him to fill a gap in the fogbusting carpet. He barely starts moving before a barb archer comes running in from the NW, from another gap in the defence. Thankfully he has time to get back, and with changed tiles I can get out a warrior in time as well. Glad I started on that warrior now instead of another archer. Should be okay. Just hope he doesn't go onto the gold mine and mess it up.

All these barb issues meant I had to postpone settling the third city for 3-4 turns though, with the settler parked in the capital.

Oh, and the horses...? (T61 map)
    Spoiler :

So not only did I self-tech Archery here, I'm also doing Mysticism. Since I learned BW before settling that city in the south I can get it in the BFC, so I want to chop out a monument. That will enable us to better protect tiles. Archers are good as long as they fight defensively, but they can't do much about barbs attacking resources. Axes can.

That horse feels awfully far away though.

On your game, I don't quite get what you mean with the PH, because you haven't settled on one, that's a green hill. But perhaps you mean to mine the plains hill in your BFC?

I don't like capitals with so few hills either, only one in my location really, discounting the desert hill. That's going to be a problem until workshops are decent. Don't like it, but didn't like settling on that green hill either. Perhaps I'm too hesitant about stuff like that, but I never like settling on green hills. Plains hill is fine, but I prefer mines on green hills :sad:

Anyway, I'm still alive, so here's hoping this games goes better. I'm "only" playing Immortal, but that is tough enough for me I reckon. Am not comfortable enough on Deity, and this could shape up to be a tough map. I don't recall the opponents because they were all selected randomly. As usual Joao is spamming cities like nobody's business. He had 3 before I had starting thinking about the second, and already up to five by 60 turns. And that's on Immortal where they don't start with two settlers.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  10. Olafeson

Olafeson Prince

Turn 100 Deity / No Huts / No Events

Spoiler :

I got all my tile improvements smashed by barbs in the early game, so i had to invest a lot of worker turns again. Got 5 cities up, going to be 7 at turn 103. Lots of cottages and working the 2 goldmines.

First to aesthetics and traded it for alpha, IW and math. Pretty standard stuff until now. 5 turns to currency and then i will go straight for CoL and CS.
    After playing a Great Library -> Music game offline and another one with a double bulb of machinery and engineering, i will go for Lib this game i think.

It is Hindus vs Buddhists and there is a huge jungle to the north. Looks like everyone has a lot of cities, but not too much besides Joao with 12 cities. He is a dangerous A.I. and also a fast techer. So i am a bit worried. Especially due to early struggles i only have 1 library in capital, and not a single GPP:gp: was accumulated yet. Also i could have gotten to 7 cities maybe 10 turns earlier. Not sure how to approach from here on now. I was planning to lib nationalism or MT and go for a good ol boring Cuirassiers attack.

But the horses have been to far away and so Washington got them. Could still trade for them later. Barb city to the south could be my 8th city if no one else gets it before i get some swords out. Guess they will go for it soon.

empire 1.jpg

empire 2.jpg
    tech.jpg

@Pangaea
    Spoiler :
    Great to hear that you survived the onslaught this time:lol:. I just noticed after checking the game settings that is tropical climate with low sea level. usually i only play the normal map script but this one is quite interesting too.

And i think your capital spot is a bit better, i was afraid of getting 3 :yuck: Unhealtiness from all the floodplains but i assume in this spot you only get 2:yuck: unhealtiness. Yes i meant the PH 1 NE of the lake. There used to be a mine there which helped me with my first setler but got smashed ofc. Your capital surely makes for a better Bureaucracy Capital.

11. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

@Olafeson (and others) at T95. Going better :)
    Spoiler :
    The barbs have been rough, very rough. Archer is one thing, we can deal with that. Spears is worse. Then a frickin' Axe invades from the north, right between two AI cities :mad: The bugger than assaulted an archer I had to cold-whip and won at 20% while crossing a river. ARGH! Then he started smashing my stuff. Used a warrior as bait/sacrifice and hoped the axe would take a little damage, but of course he didn't. I just gave him an extra promotion instead. Got out yet another archer and put him on the gold mine so the axe wouldn't go there. Unfortunately the axe killed him, but now he was down to 1.0 :strength: so the other archer killed the evil bastard at 99%. Phew!

So far we have killed 20 barbs. Only one animal (a lion). :scared:

Since the other AIs didn't appear to have Writing, I decided to go for Alpha myself instead of the usual Aesthetics route, after a detour for Fishing and Mysticism.Actually got there first, and was able to get IW and some other backfill. Lo and behold, we have Iron! Woot.

Tried to grab the horses in the west as well. To my horror I noticed borders when I approached, but when testing the move with the settler it was possible to settle there, so I planted it right in Washington's face. Didn't know about the pig when I settled, but if I can steal at least one food source the city could become good. So with that, we actually (soon) have access to horse, copper and iron. Very, very tough start, but I'm feeling more confident now. Captured the early-founded barb city in the south this turn as well, after getting out some Immortals. Had one extra plus an archer, but both Immortals won their fights (1-2 archers must have departed earlier).

Don't like that the AIs are settling close and getting pretty big already. This will be a long haul I suspect. Due to low sea level the map is reasonably big at 1200 land tiles.

It does feel like I'm way behind the curve due to all these issues in the beginning, but I do hope to grab that fine barb city by the pig and spice (hmmm, dinner), and there is at least some empty room to our east. Lacking in food, but there is a little, plus the river, so it's allright. I haven't even got out a Library yet, while in more normal games we could have had an Academy by now.

Honestly, it sort of feels like a Rainforest map with all that yucky stuff near our start. True, my capital should be pretty good for Buro, but the lack of hammers will be an issue. I don't like whipping out infra in the capital, but it is probably required here. Can mine the desert-hill, but it's not a great tile to work. I usually leave them alone and put windmills there in the late game. If only that iron had popped up in the capital BFC -- that would have helped a good deal.

Edit: Yes, I only get 2 :yuck: from the capital, so that is nice. It was a big reason why I went there this time. 3 :yuck: can be rough in the beginning. In that dumb-ass settling instantly I got 4 :yuck: and the initial worker took 20 turns. Facepalm. I didn't include the jungle, which also brings bad health.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  12. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Update at 1AD, a decent time for an overview. This is Immortal/no huts/no events btw.
    Spoiler :
    Always fun when this happens :lol:

He must have dithered around a bit, because I saw a settler party like 5-6 turns ago in that area. I hoped he wouldn't take the quick route and just settle on the naked tile 1W of where he is now. I placed the city on the X because the capital has more food than it can use, so this one will take the banana. Otherwise the blue circle actually isn't horrible here. Would be nice to settle on the marble.

Managed to capture two barb cities with Immortals. Hoped a French Chariot would help me out, but he wouldn't oblige. There is another barb city further east as well. Kinda hope we can grab it, but probably slim chances of that. It's close to de Gaulle's borders and I don't really have enough Immortals now. Will cost a bit in maintenance, but I'll try to grab it if possible.

This means I have 9 cities at 1AD. Tech-rate is woeful though. Only ~150 :science:. We're 3 turns away from Buro, so that will help a lot, but an Academy is still pretty far into the future. With the recent captures and a couple settlers I'm short on workers, so have and will whip some workers. I need them. Need another settler for that X north of the banana too, but since the marble was in play, I had to try for that one.

Unfortunately there is a pile of barb galleys on the eastern coast, so once that clam gets hooked up they'll probably storm to the area. Thankfully the fish is out of reach for them.

After the tough start things are coming more together now - although the land is underdeveloped and I'd prefer to get a few more cities. The barb city if possible, the silk spot, and probably one that can grab the whales too. No food but meh. May as well put it down there, farm the grasslands, and eventually run two scientists. The pig and spice spot is very fine, so once that is up and running it will be a good boost. Lots of jungle to hack away at though :-/

Ramesses is plotting, but I haven't found his land yet. He's been spamming wonders like nobody's business though. Looks like Qin has best potential for trades in the future, so I've changed EPs from Joao to him. Ramesses is ahead from the Oracle and such, but he's such a pain to get anything out of unless friendly. Haven't adopted a religion yet, but going Judaism would ofc be a good way to cosy up to him.

Olafeson likes this.
  13. Olafeson

Olafeson Prince

Turn 126 Deity / No Huts / No Events

Spoiler :
    Finally got a GS for an academy in my capital, i was thinking for a minute to save him for GA or philosophy bulb. Going for the long run, trying to win Lib, it would be possible since no one got education yt, and the only guy with paper has no philosophy. But then i would need at least 1 more GS , better 2 to bulb education and then another 2000 beakers for Lib and what do i even LIb then? I have no horses and would have to trade for them with Washington.

But he is cautious with me and archenemy of a few people, before i get horses from him i need to get him to pleased, then tech :

- Philosophy
    - Education
    - Lib
    - MT or Nationalism and gunpowder

That would be around 8000 - 10000 beakers :science:, shortened by some GS that i need to get out first with barely any GPP:gp: to the 2nd GP, while i only
    make +235:science:/turn @ 100% research. That would be a very long shot. I just got libraries and caste system too late to get some GPP :gp: on the way.

Nah, screw that. Lets just go for the 2100 beakers until Engineering (contruction + engineering) and try to get some nice cottages from Washington. He is quite small ( only 6 cities) and has not even machinery yet, although he is teching it. Another reason for this decision is the fact that he will be most likely attacked by De Gaulle soon, worst case scenario would be teching to Cuirassiers while De Gaulle vassals Washington.

Then i am stuck between a rock ( 11 + cities De Gaulle & vassal) and a hard place (Joao with 14 cities whom is liked by all).
    Cuirassiers or canons are good , but are they that good? :lol:

No i think, i will whip an army with either vassalage or theocracy. Trebs, maceman, pikes and 2 or 3 crossbowmen should secure me at least 2 cities from Washington.
    I hope for all 4 of his southern cities which would include his capital.

He has some cottages there which will boost my research since Darius is FIN. Also horses and more health resources. Hoping for DG to declare on Washington and then hop in. Maybe he can take out his army. That would be best case scenario.

Another question now that i ask myself allt he time. Is it worth to get the forges, i have only 8 - 10 turns until i reach engineering. Maybe just going straight for units would be better. But forges man, they are my favourite building. It always hurts my soul to skip them.

Forges > granary :lol: . Change my mind, some lousy corn, stored in an old granary barn with rats running around over a glorious forge. A muscular blacksmith forging the finest weapons for my empire while walking around fire like a boss. No homo by the way.

@Pangaea

Spoiler :
    Looks to me that you are in a very good position already:king:.

9 cities, good research rate and you also got the far away horses:D. I remember from my lurker days that most Nobles Clubs had the resource for the UU in BFC or close enough for 2nd city. Good ol days, guess we got spoiled with good maps back then. Surely an interesting map, this time the barbs have been quite the challenge. I mean they are always annoying and maybe dangerous but on a Pangeaea usually not a huge deal.

I wonder how Lain would be doing on this map. The start is not too easy with all the barbs, but then, all the FP and a financial leader + overall good land a lot of space to expand. I dont think he would struggle too much.

He would probably send the evil tribesman quickly back into the jungle afraid to ever approach the mighty persians again. Then REX like a god while reaching LIB 400 A.D. and getting out a hilarious amount of GP:queen:. Then roll the map with cuirassiers or canons. Game over for evil deity A.I. once again at turn 200. Conquest. GG easy map, next please.

What do you think? Is the map challenging enough for him? Probably not, but i would enjoy him giving this map a go on his YT channel.

14. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

@ pangea that is a major spoiler about map.

15. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

@Olafeson
    Spoiler :
    Interesting thinking there. Sounds like things have been going better now, but hard to catch up on Deity. Hopefully the war you have in mind will work out and you can grab some more cities. Probably easy to get left behind here and simply never stand a chance as the AI techs away faster and faster. If you manage to hit him before Engineering and those hateful castles everywhere, it could work out.

Would indeed be interesting to see how Lain dealt with this map. I have seen most episodes in his recent game, with the poor elephant start, and since he crushed that map I expect he would crush this one too. There is gold and FPs which he will probably get great use out of. The barbs have been a real nuisance though, and must be much worse on Deity. Would be fun to see how he dealt with it, especially if playing blind. Don't know if he checks out the forum any more, but if he does he may notice the game and make a call on whether to play it or not.

Re: forges: I find this tricky too. Love those forges, man, but they are slow to get up. But I keep thinking about the better whips once they're up. Priorities, priorities.

Not sure what you mean about spoiler, Gumbolt, as I have written updates inside spoiler tags. Those are there for a reason?

16. floydmcw

floydmcw Warlord

Spoiler :
    This was outside your spoiler: "Update at 1AD ...(I've met all AIs)"

17. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

@floydmcw and @Gumbolt
    Spoiler :
    Oh yes, that one. Sorry about that, I didn't think straight. I wrote it as a warning in case people didn't want to discover all the AIs by seeing the screenshots, but that was pretty stupid. Sorry :( I've edited the post above.

18. Olafeson

Olafeson Prince

Deity / No Huts No / Events

Spoiler Turn 130 :
    Time to declare on Washington, he is already ina war with Qin, soon DG will declare on him. But DG army is quite big and has a lot of siege. He would take the city, so i close borders with him and his army get teleported back. He has to go the long way around, which gives me the first strike. Trebs + maces + crossbowmen.

empire 1.jpg
    So now i took Chicago, only 1 Longbo and some swrodsman. Easy. Unfortuantely he makes peace with Qin but Hannibal declares on him, bribed in by DG. Poor Washington and not what i want. I dont need any help and he will probably vassal soon sicne hannibal took a city. DG army and mine arrive at the same time for New York. I let him attack first after bombarding and wound the defenders. Perfect. I take it next turn.

perfect.jpg

Spoiler Turn 147 :
    Unfortuantely he caps to hannibal 1 turn later. Damn he was easy target, weak and soft. Now i dont want to declare on Hannibal, he could bribe in some people onto me. What to do now with my army? I expected more out of this than only 2 cities. Its not bad, but what to do now with my 30 military units.

Declare on DG? Go for Ramses? Maybe be crazy and go for Joao. Or sit back and tech to canons and wait how things unfold? diplomatic situation is complicated. Any advice is welcome :) Some people dont have guilds which i could reach in 1 or 2 turns.

tech.jpg
    tech1.jpg

19. Olafeson

Olafeson Prince

Deity / no huts / no events

Spoiler turn 159 war :
    Was planning to tech to cuirassiers and get 1 GM out for upgrading. But hannibal was plotting. Together with his vassal washington he declares on Augustuc Caesar, and bribes in Ramses, Augustus responds with bribing in DG. I change plans, whip a few muscetman and more trebs and will backstab Washington while no one is watching. Just in case he would declare on me and bribe in ramses, i signed a defensive pact with 14 city Joao.

Me, Augustus VS Hannibal and his weak vassal washington.
    Augustus VS Hannibal and Ramses
    DG VS Ramses

A world war going on, and their armys will clash far away from Washington. Will be a cakewalk to finally get the cities now that i wanted in first place. Aftr that i will probably tech to cuirassiers to be safe. Then continue to cavalry and go again into war. Interesting game. Lots of wars and bribing going on. Tech pace is not too fast. No one has rifling yet and only Joao has cuirassiers if i am not mistaken.

Taking Washington and Philadelphia should be possible, i think even Boston. That would put me at 11 or 12 cities. Then i should be in a decent spot.

DG , Joao, AC and QIn like me. Hannibal and Ramses not but they should be so weak after the war that they will not be dangerous anymore. Things could change if AC will vassal fast but i dont think he will. Or hope. I have 30 Units and 12 trebs, more are coming and i add muscet man for stack defense and to leave behind in cities.
    Should be able to do damage here.

army.jpg

Yes Joao has physics already but i do not care too much about that. Hannibal needs replaceable parts and rifling unti he gets rifles. I don t think he will get there too quick.

20. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

@Olafeson:
    Spoiler :
    Impressed what you have been able to pull off her given the very tough start with those barb problems. If you get 11-12 cities here you should be in a decent position to continue with Cuirs or Cavs, Rifling permitting.

Update at T145 / 700AD (post-Paper map trades btw)
    Spoiler :
    Have founded a few more cities. Unfortunately the barb very indecently founded a city near the whales in the wrong spot, so I had to raze it and resettle on the same turn. Postponed the city quite a bit as I had the settler on-route when the barbs founded their city.
    Spoiler Map overview :

Have got rid of two barb galleys over there, but unfortunately one of my triremes lost at 91% so I just have one left now. Hopefully the first barb galley attacks. I put the trireme there so I won't get doubled up on. That could go poorly. If I get rid of those two as well, the clam further north will be safe to hook up.

Lots of jungle left, but it's coming along okay.

Haven't adopted a religion yet because I've mostly gotten Buddhism from hated Washington. De Gaulle is spreading Confu which looks better. I hope he sends a few more, and then I can convert.

Basically I'm just gearing up for Cuirs warfare (again). Qin is pretty big and Ramesses suddenly peace vassaled to him. Bad news. But nothing a horde of Cuirs -> Cavs can't deal with. Washington will be first on the block, then probably de Gaulle.

Have actually got a 10XP unit from that last barb city, but I haven't started on Heroic Epic anywhere yet. No particularly good spots, and this map will take a while, so I'm hoping a future capital will be better for it. Then park another GG or two there.

I'm quite surprised actually given all the hatred between AIs, but no war has broken out yet. Several have gone from plotting and dropping out without any DOWs. De Gaulle is plotting currently, but he doesn't really have much of a force from what I have seen.

No trades possible currently because these guys aren't all that willing to trade away their goods. Sooooo much GPS possible too, but I have nothing more to trade away, which I always find frustrating. With enough resources I could have had another 30 GPS or something like that :wow:

Think Hannibal is the fastest techer right now on the back of Colossus + Hindu Shrine, so I have changed points to him. Recently lost tech view on Joao, who was doing Engineering. Doesn't have it yet, but will any moment. Ramesses has wonder-whored and has 9 of the 17 wonders currently built, which includes Pyramids, HG, MoM, Great Lib, AP :crazyeye: He founded Judaism too, so will probably get the Shrine for that at some point.

Since I have Marble hooked up, I should drop pre-teching Liberalism and do Nationalism instead and start on Taj. Still need Nationalism, Gundpowder and Lib -> MilTrad before war. Maybe I should just use the GArtist and launch a Golden Age tbh. I've not been very focused recently in this game.