1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobles' Club 215: Hammurabi of Babylon

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by AcaMetis, Oct 13, 2019.

1. earthy

earthy Warlord

Spoiler :
    Well damn. My plan was legitimately to sit on my island and nuke everyone until they capped :lol:. I guess I'll have to rethink this one. Attacking across the ocean into a Mansa with railroad, fascism, AL, artillery, etc doesn't sound very promising lol.

Maybe I'll take a little break from this one and try that nuke strategy out on a lower difficulty to see what happens. Deep down I feel like enough nukes would make them capitulate, but I have absolutely no evidence or reasoning for that belief.

2. AcaMetis

AcaMetis King

Spoiler :
    The thing with trying to use just nukes to force a capitulation not working is that I don't think nukes deleting units contribute to your war success, and you need at least so much for an AI to capitulate. I think. Once you have it I'm sure Mansa would indeed be more willing to talk if he suddenly found an irradiated crater where his army used to be, but in terms of getting war success I'm not sure if nukes will help you.

3. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Based on the comments in NC Asoka, I got the idea this map would be a tougher version, and it surely is. Obv didn't dare deity with this premise. I didn't read spoilers before playing, but I knew it's
    Spoiler :
    semi-isolated.

1AD
    Spoiler :
    I think AcaMetis's idea for this game is valid. At least on immortal, I think the best idea is just just let Monty come and harvest exp+gg points with bowmen behind walls. He certainly can't hurt you pre-construction. Of course, without foreign trade routes tech is not super fast and being in war does drain some :hammers: and units cost upkeep. So definitely not going to be BCs optics this game.

I think settling 1SW is the logical choice (loses plains, doesn't settle on forest, gains fp). Claiming 2nd pig was a pleasant surprise. AH-mining-BW. It's soon clear that barbs can cause trouble so mines are handy. Map has lots of strong food tiles, but lack of chops and health is an issue. Going for Mids seems mandatory. Chose to settle 2nd SW, since the location won't be harassed by barbs. Corn+oasis in NE would be a bit stronger site but too risky. Plains hill to the NW is a possibility, but lacks a food tile. Screenshot shows the initial settling plan, but of course the stone site needs to be scouted more.

Civ4ScreenShot0127.JPG

T82 Mids (and writing) in, so certainly not stellar pace. By now I realize I've overbuilt workers (5) and have many unworked improved tiles. Akkad and Nippur get libraries to run scientists asap to double bulb astro. 3rd :gp: can be taken from capital (probably golden age). A bowman is travelling south to harvest xp.

Civ4ScreenShot0128.JPG

T86 Montball declares war with a tiny stack. I hadn't really even prepared for it (no walls, needed to coldwhip 2nd bowman). He gets really lucky rolls in initial attack but I hold the city nevertheless.

Civ4ScreenShot0129.JPG

Monty's high attack courage is favorable for defending. :)

Civ4ScreenShot0130.JPG

1 AD situation is ok, no sign of catapults yet. Need to dance between Sippar and Dur-K to keep both adequately defended. Borsippa is on a hill so not an issue. I have an emergency settler ready, but not sure if I can settle it (to give it for peace). At machinery maybe I can start pushing. 2nd GS coming in 19T (~500AD) so should be 500AD astro.

Civ4ScreenShot0131.JPG

Attached Files:

earthy and krikav like this.
  4. earthy

earthy Warlord

@sampsa

Spoiler :
    I'm surprised Monty didn't snag a religion in your game. I replayed this a number of times and he almost always got Hinduism or Buddhism. Anyways best of luck :thumbsup: I'll be following this one closely & rooting for you!

5. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Astro
    Spoiler :

Well, 500AD astro was pretty :smoke:, forgot that I need to meet people to trade alpha+aesth+math+calendar. Tech was also a bit slower than anticipated, but finally 580AD optics with the help of Moai failgold. Cold-whip 3 caravels and loaded a GS+explorer to meet landlocked civs, but finding the other continent seemed to take ages.

War went well and I just captured a city in NW (corn+2nd ring gems). Double promoted xbows had almost 80% odds vs walled archers/melee and I was lucky to win all 5 fights. :king: Settled two GG:s in capital which I think was a good call - in a defensive war healing with medic1-warriors is enough and with Mids settled GG:s produce 3.75:science:pt which is not a lot, but helpful. Also have two swords+medic1 warrior going to grab the barb city on the silver in the south. Desperately need the :) and at astro the city will be good.

Civ4ScreenShot0132.JPG

Finally 820AD met everyone but one civ and decided to pull the trades with compass+optics while I still can. Economy suddenly in decent shape with intercontinental trade routes and sold resources (20gpt). Trying to get literature via trade for HE in capital, then catapults and slowly grab the continent while teching ahead. GS for golden age(?) 11T away, GG for healer 11xp away. Monty's stack is on the middle sugar now and I think I can lure it to my territory for easy pickings. GuerrillaII bowman and sentry chariot made a nice scouting trip to the north with the help of the ridge to the west of Texcoco. Monty's land is very green and juicy. Noob is farming over some of those cottages though...

Civ4ScreenShot0133.JPG

Founded a city on the southern horse too, but unfortunately everyone met so far on the other continent don't need it.

Civ4ScreenShot0134.JPG

@earthy
    Spoiler :
    Thanks for rooting. :) Yes I think a bit unlucky that he didn't found a religion as that would make peace possible at some point. OTOH it's good to have multiple religions on the other continent.

krikav likes this.
  6. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Nice work @sampsa !

"Bask in the glory that is Babylon!"

sampsa likes this.
  7. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@sampsa
    Spoiler :

One positive side effect about going for optics with these maniacs around, is that you get a excuse to go for xbows rather early. :)

8. earthy

earthy Warlord

@AcaMetis

I finally got around to testing it and you can capitulate someone with just nukes! Just for fun I played a game last night where I sat on my island and nuked the world into capitulation. After dropping 2-3 nukes per AI city they were often willing to capitulate the next turn. The only issue was that it made global warming go crazy, and by the end of the game I was losing 6-7 tiles a turn.

edit: some global warming before/after(from a different map):
    Spoiler global warming :

it got even worse later on, but this is the last screenshot i can get from autosaves

globalwarming.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020 at 12:55 PM
    AcaMetis and sampsa like this.