1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobles' Club 221: Augustus Caesar of the Romans

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by AcaMetis, Feb 2, 2020.

1. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@sampsa
    You read his mind!!
    Spoiler :

I was going pedal to the metal with prets, and had Cathy as my target as she went for Hindu early (should have cost her) and she was boasting about her chariots and she wasn't in slavery. I was also saving Sulliman for later as I thought I would get T0 access to his city due to oracle culture.
    But when Sulliman all of the sudden discovered alphabet he got on my radar bigtime as he didn't have ironworking.
    Looking at EP, he is building something big.
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Two free T0 workers and a city guarded by one lone archer?
    Gotime!
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

Ofcourse a pret dies at his 80% odds.
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

2951 is the cost of sabotage production.
    108.333 is a magical constant number.
    754 is the cost of support city revolt.
    Put them into the formula:
    2951*108.333 / 754 = 424. And 424 is the number of hammers in the current build.
    Sulliman gets a ceasefire here, so he can finish pyramids for me.
    Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

What a charming fellow!
    Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

There was ONE axe, ONE sword and two archers in Istanbul. But my god they where tough.
    Revolt to police state somewhere after here. I'm not going to do anything but build prets untill I either go broke or win.
    Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

I get peace for alfabet, but I get no trades from alfa though.
    Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG

Economy was going mayday mayday, thought I had to run my GProphet I got from oracle for a GA just to reach currency, then the charming lady who DoWed Charly (And I promptly piggybacked upon) gets her hand on some gardens failgold.
    This gets me to currency.
    Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG

sampsa likes this.
  2. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler T102 The power of piggyback :

Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0026.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0028.JPG

Spoiler T105 :

Economy is totally wrecked although I finally break even at 0% now. Workers have been spamming cottages everywhere for some time now.
    I just got masonry because I thought I could do some failgold magic with parthenon, but it's allready built.
    I see pastures everywhere in the AIs land, but I can't see the horses because I haven't been able to afford to tech it. :)
    Civ4ScreenShot0029.JPG

Have managed to do some killing.
    Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG
    But the prets die alot too.
    Civ4ScreenShot0031.JPG

I don't have a single library. Would like to reach CoL for trades and a swap to rep+caste, but I don't think I can.
    Can probably get Charlys stuff for peace but the prets I still have should probably march onwards to him.
    Or perhaps make peace with him and promptly swap to Cathy and bully her abit.
    Civ4ScreenShot0032.JPG

3. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler 1AD :

Things seem to be working out somewhat nice now.
    I continued to roll toward Charly. And self-teched meditation and got to put a few rounds of overflow into Paya before it was built.
    With that and the last conquestgold I managed to reach metalcasting which seem to have good trading value.
    (Although I had to stop working things like pigs in favour of unimproved coast to get there this turn.)

Settled 3 cities just recently toward Cathrine because I get free monuments and it will help contain her.
    Have still not used that GProphet.

Civ4ScreenShot0038.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0039.JPG

sampsa likes this.
  4. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

1000AD
    Spoiler :
    Backwards Charley was easy to blaze through. Had to bribe Cathy and Joao off of him though to avoid capitulation to them. Wanted to wipe him out at first, but then found out that he has an island city and getting a boat would take at least 20T, so meh, can't do it. Accepted capitulation when available, at least I can use him as a buffer against Budi. Oh and his island city had hinduism so could force him into team happy-hindu-folk. :) 760AD for the first time in eternity the world is at peace and I'm steaming towards rifling. Joao bombed Budi's nearest city to almost 0% which will help. :) Need to wait 2T due to stupid AP resolution that I didn't dare to defy. Despite two relatively useless vassals, diplo is great (Cathy is really only pleased though, Joao friendly).

Civ4ScreenShot0161.JPG
    My sentry cuir in top left of the screen was safely spying on Budi's stack movement from Joao's land. Oh and sniping off some workers and deleting them (war success!). Dirty, I know. So I knew she would arrive to this tile this turn to be slaughtered. Got very bad rolls though and lost maybe 5 first fights at 80%. Managed to wipe out the whole stack nevertheless. Also got very unlucky with :gp:, first a GS at 40% odds, then another GS at 20% odds. Needed the money to get rifling and upgrades asap. :sad: Made a big mistake and double bulbed chemistry. A few turns later both Cathy and Joao had it, so close to zero value. Should have saved one for golden age I guess (unless the next one is GS too :lol:), or even double bulb SciMeth. Also chose to remain in paci to get a merchant out which was possibly just too costly and isn't even guaranteed (GLib). Shows the weakness of a single GP-farm, something that I very rarely do and probably never do again. ;)

Civ4ScreenShot0162.JPG

Budi bribed Sury on me, I bribed Joao on Sury so he sent his troops to be eliminated on Joao's terrain. I'm slowly creeping with my praets+cats towards Vienne. Cuirs will snipe out stray units or weakly defended cities.

Civ4ScreenShot0163.JPG

All cities pumping out cavalry now (haven't whipped this turn yet), though maybe I need steel to win. Probably go Budi-Sury-Cathy-Joao. Nobody else got rifling, but Budi might be close.

Civ4ScreenShot0164.JPG

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    krikav likes this.
  5. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

@krikav
    Spoiler :
    16 cities! :thumbsup: Not so sure about Arretium and Ravenna though, they might just slow your tech too much. Are you planning to use those praets more or just building up peacefully now?

6. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@sampsa
    Spoiler :

You are absolutely right that these small cities might hurt my tech. I was probably way too greedy.
    Only way for me to tech anything at all is by building wealth in all cities. But I don't want that... I have police state and pretorians!
    A more sane approach would absolutely have been to just utilize rep and tech some tradebait before it's too late.

Have taken Rostov and Yekatrineburg now. Very problematic to whip as I have police state and forges all over the place now. Have to time overflow into pretorians and be careful so I don't put more than 4 hammers into a catapult.
    I figured that I might just as well go full pretorian when I'm at it. :)

She wants to give me feudalism for peace now, and I might take that and do that GA I have been waiting for a long time and then come back in 10 turns for more.
    Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG

sampsa likes this.
  7. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@sampsa
    Spoiler :

And your game is looking... abit more efficient! :D

sampsa likes this.
  8. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

End
    Spoiler :
    Budi didn't resist much, though her highly promoted units in hill cities were annoying and I lost more cuirs than I wanted to. Sury didn't resist at all. Just capture a flatland city with cavs+cuirs and cap, gift it back. Had some spies running around but they were caught so no city revolts. Finally got a GM so had some money to get steel and some upgrades. Joao has something resembling a stack, 24 grens, 8 trebs, 8 cuirs and then some. Angkor Thom is on a hill so I didn't dare. Heal a bit and declare, waiting for him to enter Sury's territory. Also shamelessly pillage all cottages on neutral land.

Civ4ScreenShot0165.JPG

He has other ideas and beelines Bibracte. I take Angkor Thom and gift to Sury when available. The city can't be threatened or they won't take it? Had to wait 1T anyway for some reason. Oh and upgraded cr-praets to rifles. He also catches my Vienne lightly defended, manages to take it and Budi takes it back.

Civ4ScreenShot0166.JPG

The fight itself was unfair, just the way I like it. I could just attack with cavalry and move away, his 1-movers were helpless. Used one cannon to soften the stack and mopped it up with minimal losses. With his stack gone there was no resistance. My vassals were also doing a fine job harassing him.

Civ4ScreenShot0167.JPG

Declare on Cats 1250AD. Oh gifted Prague to Charlie earlier to keep it from flipping to Cathy. Looks like she had been focusing on spreading religions and stuff.

Civ4ScreenShot0168.JPG

War lasts 1T. :lol:

Civ4ScreenShot0169.JPG

1270AD conquest, +400k score, wee!

earthy, Excal and krikav like this.
  9. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Thats a hell of a game @sampsa !
    Spoiler :

Quick imp-powered start, followup with ind wonders, then opportunistic warfare!
    Very nice play!

sampsa likes this.
  10. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Well... I don't have the energy to continue the game where I was, so I did what I use to do, play the opening again. :)
    Was abit annoyed at my micro the first attempt so tried to do things properly.

Micro is so much easier if you know the map! ^_^
    Spoiler T50 :

Ofcourse, this is abit risky, but since it's obvious that Hindu is going very late on this map, I think it's OK to go for 3 cities.
    2 cities should probalby yield a T45 oracle or so.
    Civ4ScreenShot0020.JPG

11. Excal

Excal Warlord

Immortal Difficulty with No Huts / No Events
    Turn-97 450BC

Spoiler :

Settled on Marble for :hammers:

Tech Order: Bronze > Sail > Masonry > Agri > AnimalHusb > Write > Wheel > Pott > Aesth > Trade for: Alpha, Iron, Myst, Hunt, Poly, Priest
    Wonders: GLH :thumbsup: Building GL, NE

Praetorians :ninja:1 v Barbs 0 :cool:

Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

12. Excal

Excal Warlord

Turn- 123 200AD

Spoiler :

St Peters (Mids) :cool:

Its never a good idea to attack across a river against 85% culture defense :crazyeye:, but time (before reinforcements) is of the essence, and the Praets get the job done, so Moscow is mine (with Chicken Itza and Statue Zeus) :)

Meanwhile Joao has acquired two vassals :eek:

Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

13. Excal

Excal Warlord

Turn-162 1020AD

Spoiler :

Oxford nearly done

About to finish the Taj to kick-off 12-turn GoldAge (thanks MoM)
    and crank out Cuirassiers to take down the Ottomans

Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG

14. Excal

Excal Warlord

Turn-181 1210AD

Spoiler :

Attack multiple cities at once (to confuse AI)
    Ottomans are Toast

Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

15. Excal

Excal Warlord

Turn-197 1370AD

Spoiler :

Rifling done
    GrMerch upgrade to Cavs, attack Charley and Cap (he has been war with Boudica for ever and therefore weakened)
    (surprisingly I was able to beg another 10g from Joao, having begged only about 15 turns earlier)

Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG

16. Excal

Excal Warlord

Turn-207 1470AD

Spoiler :

Took four Boudica cities and Cap

Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

17. Excal

Excal Warlord

End Turn-216 AD1530
    Domination

Enjoyable game with nice industrious failgold (TempArt, Parth, Sistene, UniSank, AnkWat) - thanks :)

Spoiler :

Joao army is conveniently in ex-Boudica city border - so can wipe-out in one turn with about 35 Cavs (he does not have rifling yet)
    also attacked a couple of other cities and Catherine on same turn
    (surprisingly Joao caps even though Catherine was still vassal)

Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG

Attached Files:

18. Imploding

Imploding Warlord

Nice map!

Deity NH

Spoiler T0 - T50 :

moved warrior to investigate the river.. spotted a rice and decided to go for a nice inland cap with river tiles over a to intense food cap. that could have issues in sharing all the food
    T1 - settled and going for worker and agri.
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    T6
    Looks like barbs wont be that big of a problem. the settlement + fogbusting warrior is securing N and E. Defensable terrain to S and W. I have also marked down som preliminary spots. 4 in total.. might go for only 2 or 3 initially depending my gameplay. Nice and fast cities with IMP, but also a real danger of to high maitanace cost.. The gold helps tho. Might make that my second city.
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    T11 - nothing interesting.. BW is the second tech.
    T13 - Met Chatrine. brr.. she is one pesky neighbor with IMP/CRE. might influence my city placement order.
    T15 - Met Charly in budhism.. another annoying neighbor.
    T16 - spoted first barb archer in jungel..
    T17 - Met Suleiman! he might be a good target for the PRETS.. depending where he is.
    T20 - got my 2nd warrior starting 3rd. thinking about whiping 1 settler from a size 4 cap. decide to scout my coast a bit before i fogbust SW..
    T21 - spot fish near gold.. change my city placement plan.
    T23 - finished the wheat and rice. some city micro to get BW 1 turn earlier. will still reach size 4 in 3 turns Think ill chop my settlers. if i go back to the FP in 1 turn. Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

T24 - finished warrior put overflow from warrior into settler and seems like i need to work the 2f2c tile 1 more turn to finish BW.
    T26 - finished BW put 1 turn into barracks To whip or not tho whip.. Which spot to go for.. the sugar or the gold + fish. what to tech.. TW into pottary? With early gold Oracle is a possibility. For now I save gold.. and start TW @ 0%
    T27 - I decide against whiping 1 settler. might revolt into bw when 1 settler is moving out. Get the gold/fish spot fast and settle sugar spot after.
    T28 - I have move 2 warriors together to secure a nice defensive position on jungelhill S of cap. Still saving gold.. but TW.. I have met 3 guys get 15 % bonus anyway.. will need TW to connect cities.. I decide to revolt to slavery and get out settler 1 turn earlier with whip.
    T29 - take one quick look South with warrior.. spot gems in range of sugar spot! Nice! Whip settler.. 2 settler will be fast with overflow, prepare a WB chop for 2nd city.
    T30 - Start TW.. maybe I'll try for Oracle if wonders go late. So far no SH, GW
    T31 - Suli! What are you doing? That might make oracle route more interesting.. Best case - maybe I can flip. Worst case.. pick IW and get a instant free city. i settle 2nd spot! Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

T32 - Suli comes even closer! haha!I really like the oracle now. but I see to much need for TW to delay it further.
    T34 - Suli settles on my borders..! i put settler overflow in cap into barrack and plan to 4 pop whip a worker.
    T36 - Suli gets SH.. thats good i guess.. he will get a fast prophet and Shrine.. oracle in cap seems less good.. i Will probably not be able to flip Ankara (his 3 spot)
    T37 - got TW.. saving gold
    T39 - Start working the gold! That really helps.. Im thinking about getting a 3rd settler over a 2nd worker. I can build boats i also have no good tiles to improve on land. That will also give me marble.. maybe not in time for oracle but still.
    T40 - starting 3rd settler and going to Whip/chop and grab a worker with the overflow. I think i will try oracle, I still save gold.
    T41 - I spot Catherine's boarders down S. Hm.. pottery (4t) is just to cheap with fishing/agri I also want to start my granaries and develope some cottages.
    T43 - I Whip settler in cap with chop.. The 2 worker will be fast!
    T44 - yes 1 turn worker! and worker overflow will go into granary.
    T45 - start city connection!
    T47 - choping granaries and getting WB. Start one cottage on FP in cap. looks like Suli is going to steal cap forest tiles! Maybe try for oracle trough poly route?.. that will give failgold from ToA aswell..
    T50- Will whip 2/4 granaries next turn. I have gold to maybe get oracle -> IW Suli looks juicy with a early wonder/religion and possibly fast shrine.
    Overview!
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

What would you do?

elementoffear and krikav like this.
  19. Imploding

Imploding Warlord

Deity NH

Spoiler T51-62 :

T51 - I try for some oracle ToA failgold route. Loosing cap tiles to Suli!!

T54 - going poly whipping/chopping and grabbing workers granaries and cottages. Think i will prepare a settlerwhip in cap into oracle
    T57 - Still no oracle start 4th settler and getting ready!
    T61 - I can 1 turn oracle in cap! selfteched masonry and got settlerwhip overflow + chop. The bigger question is what to oracle.. I really like MC here! bigger happycap and more production. Go for some pret/cat push here with nice cities is tempting.. also Cath offers stone for trade but i just gave her fish for cow for some diplopoints.. maybe the pyramids is possible? Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    T62 -oracle! and I Select MC! going to hook up wheat for possible stone trade and mids. 5 city Pret/cath push with military state and a OK happycap seems fun.

elementoffear, Jarno and krikav like this.
  20. Imploding

Imploding Warlord

Deity NH

Spoiler T63 - 97 :

End T62 - Planing to whip forge in cap and chop a couple of forest into mids. ToA and Oracle is gone so.. trade marble rice for stone seems nice.
    I need workers so I'm going to whip out a couple. Saving gold. Wondering about AH before Writing.

T63 - Suli pops a profet and gets his shrine!! :) Got 19 hammers after of from worker whip+ 3h production! Put it all into mids = 55 failgold! Nice. I settle 5 spot! pigs + fish.. but will need a monument.. or maybe i get a religion if i get OB with suli! i go Writing before AH.
    T65 - Oracle culture gives me the cap forest back! I'm probably going to chop them pre math! the risk of loosing 40h.
    T66 - I get 3 premathchops into the cap with forge = 200 hammers! Probably wont get mids buth.. 200 gold is definitly going to come in handy! Whiping forges everywhere then Im going to get a couple Libraries.. with another 2 pop whip. Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    T67 - Suli got the mids!! Definitly going for him now! just have to figure out the quickest way.. thinking selftech aes and doing a slower buildup. Then attack with a healthy number of pret/cat.. I just hope i have Iron.
    T70 - Cathy gets alpha! I'm 6 turns away from aes. Will cancel marble trade in 2 turns. That will give me some nice wonders to get FG from.
    T74 - Charly is giving me Buddhism, thats also cathys religion.. so I'm probably going to switch into it.. It will also help with my happyiness.. kind of strugeling after whiphing both forges and libraries.
    T75 - Or not.. she switches into hindu.. and demands pristhood from me.. Well in 1 turn hopefully gets alpha.
    T77 - Met Joao! Cathy is going for AES! what a waste! Maybe i just go for LIT and accumulate some nice failgold before my attack. I can also get TGL in cap easy,
    T81 - Still only cathy with alpha.. and she got AES.. Charly is 1 turn away from writing.. so I decide to finish alpha myself in 3 turns.. but I can almost guarantee that someone else will get it next turn.. Starting TGL in cap.
    T82 - Joao started to plot! HM......
    T84 - Finaly alpha! And what a beautiful backward gang! what to doo...

1.. i grab AH IW from Joao with alph.. pri and pol.! We got IRON!!
    Thinknig about getting Monarchy from charly.. but that's probably not needed yet.. i want to double switch into mono heradary rule at the same time.. also I'm not sure about buddism (even tho i have it in 3/5 cities)
    Btw.. suli got metal!
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    T85 - Math trade with suli for AES! yes please!
    T86 - Construction.. then mass PRETS/CATS.. hm.. also.. cathy is plotting...
    T87 - I probably want acadamy in cap before i tech.. i can get my GS 1 turn faster if I run 1 engineer for 2 turns. I will risk it! Whiping barracks in preporation.. I can whipe out sulis army on T1 of the fight. he Is really stacking in Ankara.
    T88 - thx to forges i can 1 turn prets like nothing. Also building mines! Lets get a healthy population and production going..! Its going to be about 6 % chance for a engineer.. But if i get a engineer.. i Might bulb engineering or Machinery!
    T89 - oh boy! Seems like Joao is at war with someone I have not met! Because i can bribe suli in on him with alpha + monarchy! Yesplease! BTW i got a GS! settle in cap and go for construction!
    T90 - Boudica! Charly declares on suleiman! haha.. perfect.. now i only have to worry about cathy! But We are pleased.. and i can beg hunting from her if i see a army on my boarders..
    T92 - Cathy gets currency I beg for some gold.. its not me! Im producing a army record fast!
    T94 - Meting sury! who attack suleiman! We can get some nice war diplo going.. also im probably going into Buddism.. 3 guys are in it.. and.. suli gets parthanon in his cap.. I should have scouted him... HM.. but might attack him next turn.
    T95 - He got cultural border pop and 40 % So i decided to wait for some more catas..
    T97 - But now.. ! I think im ready.. I Also think he is well occupied with beeing attacked from 3 sides
    Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

What do you think? unleash the hammer or wait for more army?

elementoffear likes this.