1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobles' Club 223: Brennus of the Celts

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by AcaMetis, Feb 19, 2020.

1. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler T36 BW :

I move 1E with scout and find wet corn, that settles the deal, I'm almost certainly settling NE. I do however move my settler 1E first, who knows, there could have been flatland gems on the other side of the lake, that would have made me settle on that other plains hill.
    Scout starts to sprint outwards in one direction hoping to find some AIs before T5 so I get a beaker bonus.
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

I do find two AIs, they are close to each other, I like Saladin as a neighbour, he usually founds religions and spreads it and doesn't plot at pleased.
    Toku is rather nice too, he usually drops behind everyone else and can become a nice target later in the game.
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

Stone is nice, pyramids could be good with SPI-brennus, but it's rather far away and it's no stellar spot either.
    I opt to go for mining->bw and I hope that the ivory commerce will sort my economy out to TW->Pottery after that.
    Will have to delay second city until BW to possibly secure copper, going archery here would be such a pain. >_<
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

Playing very defensively and cowardly with my warriors and scout. I'm surrounded by tons of land and barbs will be problematic, there is an barb archer to the west and I don't dare take a fight with him.
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

Was slow-building the settler, but as I haven't managed to scout the surroundings properly yet, I want to postpone city2 untill I know location of possible copper first, so I start to grow on warriors again and plan to whip the settler instead. Nice with SPI is that you can swap to slavery and whip right away. :)
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

A very productive turn for the AIs! I want city2 in close proximity of that corn, but there aren't many good city spots around so I start to worry.
    Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

An opportunity to kill that archer presents itself and I take the chance, forested hill over a river.
    I win the fight at 67% odds.
    Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

Well, this was a tremendeous relif! Now I can handle the barbs and will have some nice units even if I miss out on iron (combined with jumbos, even better!)
    Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

elementoffear likes this.
  2. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler T78 (to be continued to T90) :

This screwed me up, I wanted to finish that warrior before connecting the copper. But apparantly being adjacent to a lake that is connected to the river is enough to connect the copper.
    Now I'll get a horrid spear.
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Here I really start to think, I wanted the corn in first ring, but most spots either kill the possibility to settle a city between capital and second city, and if I go between ivory and corn I might get severely boxed in.
    With two workers and BW in, I make the call that I can settle two cities quickly, so I choose to block of some land first.
    So I settle on the spice, that might give me a shot at the marble, and it will enable a third city claiming the corn.
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

The barb invasion fizzled to almost nothing.
    I still don't know what makes barb cities spawn but I like when they do because the barbs get so calm when they do.
    Slowly snailing my way to pottery.
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

With what only looks like junk land to the east. And barb cities that I should have decent chances to grab, and with no economy to support further expansion, I decide to use some of my solid production to stir up diplomacy troubles for the AIs.
    Toku already dislikes Zara, and I gift this city here to zara (who is creative) and that will make Zara a land target for Toku, and create border tension.
    This all but guarantees that Toku will DoW on Zara at some point, possibly creating an opportunity for me to piggyback on either of them.
    Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

Zara feels generous right away. :D
    Thats a crazy early alfabet too.
    I accept the gift, there are plenty of turns that the other AIs can forget this trade before I start trading, but I likely won't need archery untill I build some Xbows, if even then.
    Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG

Haha, you have fun with GLH in that lake Zara. :)
    Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

Writing was in a few turns ago, and now I finally got traderoutes. I have not yet opened borders with Vicky as she is worst enemy of toku.
    I opened borders with Justinian right away so he can send missionaries. Have not opened borders with Sally until this turn because I don't want his pesky Hindu missionaries, but I had to do it this turn to refresh traderoues once my roads to Zara was complete.
    I got +4 or +5 commerce per turn from this, so... +25% economy boost. :)
    Sally has started plotting, I hope it's against Toku, but Viccy is his worst enemy right now too since she converted to Buddhism. Still I send my scout toward him to check out whats brewing. And the spear I got in the beginning also makes a turn toward his cities to catch a glimpse.

I also havea 0% slider now while waiting to get libraries. Ended up 3pop whipping in capital, 2pop whipping in Tolosa and a 1pop whip after alot of chops in Vienne (eager to get that culture for marble too)
    Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG

Toku the isolationist guru completes TGW to make sure absolutely noone comes in.
    Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG

Clearly a military buildup. Abit worried that it's this far south, would be more comfortable if it was higher up closer to toku.
    Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG

This was quite insane, I have never seen Sally behave this way.
    He has not spread around hinduism, and now he convertes to a religion that very few of his cities have.
    Civ4ScreenShot0023.JPG

3. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler T89 to be continued to T90. :

Next turn I'll know if it's Toku.
    I put 4h into a couple of spears to be able to 2pop whip them, I have already hammers invested in axes as I don't have much else to build.
    I also gain control over the marble this turn. Will go for litterature and make a attempt at GLib.
    Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG

Ok, he might be going for Vicky who was his worst enemy when he started plotting. But I take no chances. I whip the spears and let the overflow finish the axes. Very annoying because I wanted to utlize that production burst to roll overflow into statue of zeus and parthenon to get failgold.
    Civ4ScreenShot0026.JPG

I feel very glad that I'm on a hill and have cultural defense.
    Ofcourse he does DoW me next turn. Had he gone for Viccy, I would have used my fresh army to piggyback on his effort and possibly grab a few cities from Vicky.
    Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG

He didn't dare attack this defense, but instead just started to stockpile units in that forest 1N of capital.
    I have now put a half-turns worth of beakers into alfabet so I can trade for that, but before trading I also put something into math so I can get that from Zara who is friendly with me now. (<3 liberation bonus!)
    Sometime during this warfare I make the trades aestethics for alfa with justinian and aestethics for math with zara.
    Civ4ScreenShot0029.JPG

I moved out most of the axes (saved one axe for each sword/axe he had in his stack, and the scout+warrior just in case all of my units would die).
    And that made him curageous enough to make a attempt.
    I can get peace for aestethics now but I'm not interested in that. I move a bunch of axes to that forest because I want to war at least until I get a lvl4 guy and a GGeneral.
    Civ4ScreenShot0032.JPG

He didn't want to fight anymore, and tries to chicken out. But I give him an offer he can't refuse. A yummy scout+warrior on flatland.
    Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG

He swallows the bait, and he doesn't even guard that stack with his axe.
    Civ4ScreenShot0036.JPG

I choose a few riskier fights, to increase the odds I get up to 8xp. (Got to love Cha!).
    The first axe that was already at 5xp got up to about 4hp and won his fight against a sword at 67% odds for 3xp. Now heroic epic is unlocked.
    Civ4ScreenShot0037.JPG
    Mopping up the rest of the crowd, trying to get as many units a promotion as possible.
    Now I have a GGeneral too which I settle in Vienne. I plan to build heroic there.
    After this exchange though, Sally doesn't want to talk anymore. :/ I guess he thinks that scout and warrior was some of my highest ranking generals?
    Civ4ScreenShot0038.JPG

Zara wants me to pay him a visit, a pity that it's so far away though...
    Civ4ScreenShot0040.JPG

4. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

T90 overview.
    Spoiler :

Despite our differences in opinion, I'm sure that Sally and I will get together fine later on. He and Zara and Justinian all 3 loooove theocracy and now that we are in the same religion (Sally might flip again though) I know I'll have friendly AIs to trade with.
    So here I cash in on aestethics with Vicky for monotheism+AH, and sell it to Mao for his 160G.
    I don't want fishing because that would screw up bulbing machinery which I plan to do, and likewise meditation might cause problems as that makes philosophy take priory.
    I would love to gift Toku a little something to build relationship with him too, but Vicky hates him.
    Civ4ScreenShot0043.JPG

Overview at T90:
    Justinian is ensuring full Hindu spread for me.
    I lost my forward spear that was fortifying in a forested hill inside Sallys homeland but I doubt that he will cause me much more trouble.
    Will try to continue to rack up failgold from statue of Zeus and parthenon, and once litterature is in I'll chop GLib, likely in capital and will slowly build heroic in Vienne by whipping Gallic warriors and putting the overflow into heroic epic.
    The plan is to try trade for HBR+Construction+Theology, selftech litterature->metalcasting-> bulb machinery -> bulb engineering and wreck havoc on someone with elephants, gallic warriors and trebs supplemented with my existing axes/spears.
    Not extremly familiar with this engineering bulb thing though, so I'm unsure how the timing will work out.
    Civ4ScreenShot0048.JPG

5. earthy

earthy Warlord

I agree with scout 1E and then SE. There'es two tiles to the east that could have a resource, and if they do it might make the plains hill or even just settling 1E ideal. The scout can't really tell us anything about settling the sugar, but it can tell us what we're leaving behind. I guess that makes the sugar a bit of a gamble. We know we get more forests, but who knows what else we get.. We also lose an elephant, which is a decent tile for our starting techs. Hopefully the scout finds something to makes the decision a bit easier.

6. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

I would definitely not SIP. All the extra yield city centers are good (both short- and long-term).

7. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

Looks like an early-war-game (and maybe lots of war in general) to me. Brennus has good traits for that (Boudica would be better though) and it could be fun to try out some Gallic Warrior action. Maybe on Immortal, because I don't want to face Longbows when I reach IW eventually.
    Spoiler :
    I like the land a lot, thanks @AcaMetis for that map, but it is commerce-poor as far as my initial scouting told me. So early conquests on Victoria or Zara should definitely help to get to Construction/HBR in time.

8. earthy

earthy Warlord

Immortal cause I still want to play around with some ideas and deity doesn't lend itself too well to that :goodjob:

Spoiler up to t52 :

After moving the scout and spotting another corn the plains hill seems obvious. Tech path was AG - Mining - BW, hoping that elephant commerce would hold me over. It's a bit rough but it does the trick. Not too worried about fogbusting here because every AI is settling towards me it seems. Victoria is even trying to steal my pig!

iron.png

With 3 warriors fogbusting I feel safe enough to grow to size 4 in the capital and then go REX mode for the nice river. First I went for the PH +corn to the west, then for the pig + chopped a monument(Victoria even improved it for me so I don't have to go AH :D), then the fourth city to liberate the unneeded corn from the capital. The clam will probably be my next target, and then I'll think about a 6th city to share the other corn. I know we have elephants and should probably kill people, but with so many nice green tiles I think I'd rather just cottage the crap out of everything..

t52.png

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Tobiyogi likes this.
  9. earthy

earthy Warlord

to t90

Spoiler :
    A bit of an unlucky turnset... Mao and Zara had alpha, so I teched towards aesth for failgold + trades(might even build glib to help with bulbs towards lib). A turn before aesthetics is complete, Mao gets it. While I'm putting a turn into alphabet, Zara gets it :sad:.

Luckily Victoria got Alpha soon after, but still annoying. I was also eyeballing that epic double gems spot to the east, but I missed out on it by just a couple of turns because I was waiting for IW. Toku had his settler ready to take the pig and cut me off, so I had to plop the settler down and at least claim the pig. He also hates me because I refused to give up my only trade routes with Vicky..

My main concern here is I have no iron though... I should probably go settle right on the iron to the southeast before saladin grabs it right? I had planned on going for cuirs and there's no guarantee that I'll get it in a trade since saladin is still boasting about his chariots

t90.png

forgot how slow they all tech on immortal >< someone research math for me damnit. or maybe I just do it myself and go music? guess I have nothing to trade anyways since everyone decided they wanted aesthetics this game :lol:

t90tech.png

10. DoowMas

DoowMas Chieftain

Can I play these? I'm new to Civ 4, picked it up the other day actually (played a lot of Civ 3 in the past). Honestly have no idea what I'm doing lol, but I've really enjoyed watching Lain and Imploading on YouTube so I figured I'd get the game myself. Read that Nobles Club games are really fun and a good way to learn the game.

krikav, elementoffear and earthy like this.
  11. earthy

earthy Warlord

@DoowMas you can definitely join in! Nobles Club is open for anyone who wants to participate. Just download the file from the first post, and extract the save you want to your civ4 folder. for me it's in my documents/my games/beyond the sword. If you're looking for tips/advice post some screenshots at different intervals and people will be glad to help!

12. earthy

earthy Warlord

Okay last update for the night I swear! t91 -> t131:

Spoiler :

Since the AI didn't want to tech math I went for it myself after literature. My failgold came in around this time, so I soldiered on to music. Justinian gave me a little scare on music but I pulled it out in time. Bulbed philo with my first guy, but I'm too scared to enter a religion with the diplo situation. Judaism is pretty well spread, so I'll just switch into that for the golden age eventually. I built Glib in the capital, so bulbs should be plentiful.

@T103, how the hell do you have paper but no math Zara? This guy must have oracled paper or something.. Talk about a weird tech path.
    wtf103.png

Around t115 Toku starts plotting so I built some axes and went a little crazy with the roads. turned out he just wanted a piece of Zara so that's nice. I settled the Iron that I'll eventually need at a large cost to my economy, and started crawling towards lib. Feels like a bad date to be researching CS, but maybe with music first and no trades it's okay.

land.png

The slow AI tech pace is really hurting me here. I need currency and calendar badly, but it's just not available. At t115 these are the pathetic offerings the AI have:

tech115.png

From here I built NE in the capital, and finally got calendar on t118. The first person willing to trade currency was Zara on t128 :undecide:. I had to give up music for it, but I needed it so bad that it had to be done. From selling old techs I immediately get around 600g and things started looking up.

One thing I'm not too sure about is my bulb strategy going forward. I have one scientist and I'll get another shortly without the golden age. I could get one more, but I have zero faith in these neanderthals to trade me compass so I can bulb lib(is it worth self teching compass then?). I'm kind of leaning towards 1 more great scientist for double bulbing education and then maybe 2 great merchants? Is that too ambitious? I'm spreading judaism to the pig/banana city so that I can starve out at least one merchant there with the GA, but will I be able to get another elsewhere? I'll have to run at least 5 merchants to overpower GLib/NE.. Also, when is the ideal time for the golden age?

T131 land/tech:

131land.png

131tech.png

edit: and @scheines

Spoiler :
    It looks like your main issue is not enough workers and not enough cottages. Lots of your cities are size 4 working 2+ unimproved tiles. In those scenarios, simply put 1 turn into a worker and then whip it for 2 population. You can grow back working the good tiles, and then you have more workers to improve the bad ones.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  13. Eagle777

Eagle777 Chieftain

Just one more turn! :D

Spoiler :
    I did the Brennus game, it went very well and by now the game is won although some work still remains to be done.

I did the universally condemned Stonehenge play. :D
    Then caught a decent piece of land, then joined everyone's religion, and then during wars (and everyone hated Lizzy who was the only Hindu) piggybacked like crazy.
    I had I think no less than three Mother of all Piggyback city captures where my ally gets his stack killed on Lizzies and I have 4-5 wounded units to take out.
    On top of that, Zara vassaled to me out of nowhere (at least that's how it felt to me).

Japan was late on the Rifling boat so they fell after England did.

By now I have Japan, Ethiopia and England under my command, and I'm at war with Mao.
    Then just Sal and Justinian will remain. Of those two, Justinian has 6 cities, and Sal is significantly larger but he won't be able to handle the rest of the map all too well.

earthy likes this.
  14. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

Nothing against Stonehenge in general but.....

Spoiler :
    I really don't see the need on this particular map. Capitol has two Corn tiles that can be "borrowed" by one city each in the south + east, in the west you can settle another city with a 3. corn, so there are decent tiles to be worked and you can grow even w/o instant border pops. Also there are no great resources that must be secured at any cost. I would rather save the forests for military or expansion....

15. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@earthly
    Have finally played to T141 myself so now I took a look at your spoiler.
    Spoiler :

Woah, you got a completely different religious spread that I did. I had the entire world Buddhist except for Toku who is Hindu. :)
    Seeing my own game, I think your approach makes more sense, just grab alot of the good green land available and cottage up.

You are asking so many difficult questions. :D

Ideal time for a GA is either when you need a quick burst, or when you have alot of tiles to work or high population and full food bars. But you know this already.
    Compass can oftentimes be good tradebait and there is no problem getting it yourself if you need it.

Very difficult to judge the number of GPersons who is reasonable to get. It's one thing calculating GPPoints, but a whole other story calculating what happends when you work all citizens as specialists and starving down one pop a turn in a GA under pacifism.
    But looking at your setup of your empire in the overview screenshot, I don't think it makes sense to go completely bananas with GMerchants.
    Your empire is set up so that you can get good commerce anyway, you can get alot of cash just by running the slider 0%.

Whenever I get GLib/Natepic in a city, I tend to relax GPGeneration abit, feeling that I got that thing covered in that city and focus more on getting good commerce and production everywhere else.

earthy likes this.
  16. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler T113 tbc to T141 :

I razed this horrible barb city, but the gold is nice.
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Chopped GLib, chopping natepic here next, but not rushing it as Tolosa has to finish it's GSci first.
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

Zara is really making Gondar a nice prize. Thinking of attacking that city from Justinians land.
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

Bulbing machinery, chops into statue of zeus/parth and natepic keeps me going. But after MC I mostly just tech a bunch of small techs to enable trades.
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

Noone was going machinery so I kept monopoly on it for a while, but now I need construction so I can put a turn into engineering before the bulb.
    Construction+450g from Zara, I should have gotten feud from Mao first because after the Zara trade I had to pay 165g extra instead of 125g for feud for machinery.
    Crossing my fingers that noone gives Justinian machinery untill next turn, because if they do I have to roll without theocracy.
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG

Well... this was annoying. >_<
    I didn't realize my commerce was that bad.
    I do get Theo and some gold from Justinian though.
    Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

I only do this deal for one turn, and upgrading two archers to xbows and two spears to pikes, then I pillage my ivory.
    Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Mao got engineering fast. Justinian doesn't seem to go for it though, and there is still some turns before Zara finishes his so I hold it for abit longer.
    I abandon my plans to strike Zara first because his cities are loaded with maces.
    Vicky however doesn't have anything.
    Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
    She was lucky to spawn a extra iron too, that I don't mind at all.
    I try to beg Mao for his fish, but he thinks thats too much to ask, so I hope he don't think that CS is good enough to attack me for.
    Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG
    She filled up the city while I was bombarding.
    Absolute slaughter, no losses except for one gallic warrior who lost at 99% odds. (Perhaps not so good idea to run into combat w/o armor?)
    This turn I also get CS from justinian, as Zara is very close to finishing Engineering. I also get some gold from Zara for eng.
    Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG

earthy likes this.
  17. DoowMas

DoowMas Chieftain

My game at Turn 50. Please bare in mind that this is literally my 2nd game of Civ 4 ever, so go easy on me :blush:. Only playing on Chieftain until I understand what I'm actually doing and why I'm doing things because I'm kinda just "going through the motions" right now. Got BUFFY mod and blue marble, because they seemed cool too.

Spoiler :

This is where I settled. Moved Scout and found more food.
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    My build order up to turn 50 from the Capital has been Worker-Warrior-Warrior-Settler-Worker-Axeman-Settler-Axeman-Granary.

My technology path has been Agriculture-Mining-Bronze Working-The Wheel-Animal Husbandry-Pottery-Iron Working. (I can't stress enough that I have no clue why I'm doing things/teching things, just trying to use common sense and what "sounds good" to me. I do not have any path in mind, I'm just "teching".)

And this is my situation at turn 50 exactly.

Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    I'm trying to use common sense, settling food resources etc. Improved all the important tiles in my capital, now to road to and improve the new cities.

Any advice or feedback of what I'm doing wrong and also maybe things I'm doing well would be awesome. (if there is any haha, I'm not expecting there to be though). I'm assuming I'm gonna smash this game considering it's on such a low difficulty level but I don't want that mentality. I want to get it right and not learn "bad habits" and quickly climb up the levels to where the game isn't so one sided.

Thanks for welcoming me too, it's much appreciated. :)

earthy and krikav like this.
  18. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler To T141 :

Took a quick ceasefire with Vicky and sold her meditation for gold, and with my stash and what I got from Engineering from Zara and Justinian I upgrade the crowd to maces for 800g. Need people who can fight right now!
    Overall, everything is very thin, I don't have a forge in Vienne (but heroic), and I have not had time to build the nice 40H AP temples everywhere either.
    Roading here in the forst to reach London faster.
    Civ4ScreenShot0023.JPG

I trade HBR from Saladin so I can get some elephants if I need, or knights later.
    All the time, I sell Toku small techs for whatever gold he manages to get.
    I'm falling behind in tech now and I doubt I can do much about that.
    Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG

Here we go again! She was evil and put longbows in that nice forest so I had to park on the flatland 1N of london.
    Civ4ScreenShot0026.JPG

After grabbing London I was trying to regroup to continue to push, but Mao the snake calls an AP vote. I defy that but after killing some stray unit I get a GGeneral so I can get a GMedic. So I preempt AP and sue for peace with Vicky for 20g. Whipping a bunch of pikes and move toward Zara and his Knight infested wonder filled empire instead.
    Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG

Knights comming from the jungle! I move up a pike and a xbow on that forested hill but they dont suicide.
    Civ4ScreenShot0029.JPG
    Oromos was very nasty, their first strikes made them tough against the trebs.
    The CR3 trebs who are used to 80-90% odds got 54% against them.
    Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG

I left one injured unit in the next city, hoping his knights would run in there, but they didn't.
    A halfdozen stray units from north did tough, which was nice.
    But when his knights run into Vickys territory a few turns later I make a ceasefire as I don't have proper garissons in London and Hastings.
    I instead turn my attention back to Vicky, the peacetreaty is soon over.
    Civ4ScreenShot0032.JPG

Knights at Vickys place too. >_< But they are not tough when in cities.
    Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG

Workers jump in and road the desert so I can get to Nottingham in a hurry. Reinforcements also form a new lesser stack and attack scytian (the city south of the wines)
    Civ4ScreenShot0036.JPG

That was enough for Vicky.
    Civ4ScreenShot0037.JPG

earthy likes this.
  19. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler T141 situation :

Finally carved out some breathing room.
    Capical is waaaay in the west though, and maintenence is crippling.
    Have to work some micro, probably swap to organized religion and whip some courthouses... Or I should whip more units.

Extremly dissapointed at Toku, who has been annoyed at Zara for most of the game but have not gathered up enough courage to start plotting.
    Civ4ScreenShot0040.JPG

I'm roughly breaking even if I build wealth everywhere except in heroic, and work commerce tiles.
    Civ4ScreenShot0043.JPG

I have way to few workers to cottage up in a hurry. Vicky seem to like farms almost as much as I do.
    Civ4ScreenShot0041.JPG
    This would solve most of my problems. Pyramids and parthenon.
    With all the farms running rep-specialists would get me going again.
    Civ4ScreenShot0044.JPG

Zara is close to all kinds of nastiness though. Grenadiers, cuirs and cannons could pop up at any turn, and rifles/cavalery isn't far away either.
    Not sure If I should slow down and recover the economy, or go full tilt military to secure Gondar and probably Zara as a vassal.
    If I go full tilt I would be in a real hole if I fail, and the only thing I could do after that is to start beat up Toku.
    Civ4ScreenShot0042.JPG

Save attached too, but everything is messy (as it usually is when I wage war). :D

Attached Files:

earthy likes this.
  20. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@DoowMas
    Spoiler :

Welcome! :D

Techpath and buildorder sounds rock solid, but I think pottery before AH is better. (Pottery is a good economic tech due to cottages, and AH is a expensive tech that isn't immediatly necessery)
    IW is generally avoided on higher difficulties as it's easy to trade for it with the AIs. But in your case, getting at least writing first is sensible.
    Also there is no need for IW here, we have copper and the Celtic unique unit is a swordsman that can be built with copper. There is nothing crucial to clear from the little jungle we encounter early on.

Vienne is too far away for a second city imho. Tough to defend and not a stellar spot and distance maintenence hits harder. Better settle more nice cities close by first.
    Tolosa is placed wrong. The food should be in the first ring. Building a monument might look tempting and grab more resouces, but in reality those 10-15-20 turns make a huge difference.
    If there is crucial resources better spam two cities to grab them all.

You have not chopped enough. Chopping is very powerful and imho it's the main benefit of BW.