Nobles' Club 277: Joao II of Portugal

I always upload them here. I think that is really easy and convinient, the only drawback is the 10 files/post limit.

@Izuul
I played this map as a standard Pangea, worked out nicely.
VERY jelous about the gold pop, I remember the happycap being crushing in this game. :)

Deity t147 (740AD):

Spoiler :

Mansa is capped. He actually hit WFYABTA right before the war. That means that the tech tree's not even halfway done and I've already traded for more than twenty techs...absolutely insane. Off the top of my head, I traded aesthetics for alphabet, math, and IW, polytheism, sailing, animal husbandry, and monarchy (with some of the earlier techs being brokered for the later ones); monarchy + lit for calendar and currency; music for CoL/some of civil service/metal casting; education and nationalism for gunpowder and printing press from a friendly Wang; something for construction/machinery/engineering/guilds/banking; MT (that I libbed) + astro for scientific method, and finally MT + astro + SM for chem + economics + constitution from Mansa right after capping him. There's some I missed but either way, this has been the craziest trading game I've ever played. Now I'm on track for 800AD communism, except I already have the vast majority of the Renaissance. With just 4 crap cities Mansa can still somehow get steel for me in 13 turns. After I knock out Wang, I can really win this however I want...but it's been a while since I've won space on terra :).

Maybe more details coming tomorrow about early game when I'm more awake.

Spoiler :
20210718233236_1.jpg

The most important part of this game was settling Guimarães, Evora, and Braga even if it meant tanking my economy early-game. The first so I could get easy iron, and all three to act as whipping factories for cuirassiers. To do a successful cuir rush you have to absolutely overwhelm your opponent with hammers, and at least 4-5 sites with 2+ food sources where you can whip every 3-5 turns endlessly, is the most reliable way to put together a force strong enough to run especially your first target over. One city had wet corn + banana + sugar, another had fish + sugar, and the last had 2x sugar + pigs. Without them, it's impossible to say how long it would've taken to gather the 20 or so cuirs I needed before I could confidently attack.

Tech situation - as you can see, there are the people clearly ahead, the middle of the pack, and then poor Toku and Alex limping along...

Spoiler :

20210718233555_1.jpg

Oh, by the way, a bit ago Mansa used his economics great merchant and then I got THIS deal out of it...absolutely insane, I've never seen anything like it! He's the true MVP of this game.

Spoiler :

20210718212910_1.jpg

Attachments

• Pwincess Wina AD-0740 3.CivBeyondSwordSave
    287 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
t238 science victory

Spoiler :

Pretty standard stuff, really. The new world was super annoying because settling the extra cities there was worth it, but none of them really had the chance to develop until after I launched. Oh well, at least I got to experience plenty of late game flood-plain heaven, with half of the continent looking like this:

Spoiler :

20210726222656_1.jpg

By the end, my capital and the surrounding territory looked like this:

Spoiler :

20210726223149_1.jpg

20210726223139_1.jpg

Yes...that's over 5500 bpt without a golden age.

Absolutely insane IW city too:

Spoiler :

20210726224134_1.jpg

It was very satisfying to have the last 5-6 spaceship parts completing on the same turn, right as the last golden age ended. In fact, it took just 7 turns from finishing Apollo Program, to launching!!! For me, that's a new record.

Spoiler :

20210726194724_1.jpg

Funny enough, some of the AIs didn't even have rifling by the end, Alex included...and nobody except me had infantry. I think this is a first for my deity space wins as well...

Spoiler :

20210726210051_1.jpg

All in all, very fun game, though a bit tedious at the end! Named after someone very special to me as well.

Attachments

• Pwincess Wina AD-1640 2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    432 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom