Nobles' Club 283: Catherine of Russia

@Henrik75

Spoiler :

Looking forward to see how your game will be going :clap:! Especially you've chosen a different path (peaceful Aesthetics - GLib) from mine (early war). It's a pleasure to see different approaches of the same map.
Though at the moment I have to finish watching your Mehmed videos (last part) and Kublai game (very nice Keshiks rush to avoid being boxed in :goodjob:).

Like @ sylvanllewelyn, I'm also curious to see how you deal with these unit-spamming neighbours. In my game, they did give me some early panick :sad:.

turn 100-160
Spoiler :
with early civil service was able to bulb philosophy and tech straight to nationalism and start building Taj mahal at 50ad or something, after that lib'd military tradition at 580ad, could be 520ad if someone gave me music.

While teching gunpowder, pumped out 15 orso horse archers and was preparing to attack monte, about 760ad or something he demanded gold and I refused for him to instant declare :lol: cashed in one great merchant to upgrade then started 2 pop whipping cuirs everywhere, wasn't long until I had a massive army of 30 cuirs.

He kept throwing units at my gems city the whole time while I held him off with a handful of cuirs and medieval troops while other cuirs took his entire empire on the other side until he capped around 1050ad

Gave this a go on Immortal. Here's a little write-up. Wound up winning dom in 1685.

Spoiler Baba Yaga's spicy adventure on the inland sea :

Moved scout to the PH NE of gold, and wound up settling there after I saw the sheep. Second city was a tough decision. I'm noticing I struggle with barbs on Imm so I thought locking up barb safety by settling for horses was the best play. Unfortunately this cost me the pig/bronze spot in the northeast to Ragnar. Third site went just south of the flood plains, to claim the southern copper.
Went for 3 city HA's (Baba Yaga is a horse girl). Attacked turn 81 with 13 ponies. Wound up getting currency off the capture gold. Was able to power a good deal of chops with math, too.
Attack 850BC.png

Ragnar was dead by 400BC. I was making +7g per turn at 0.

Ragnar dead.png

Now the recovery. Nidaros would eventually become my capital, shortly after finishing CS sometime in the mid-AD's. I needed monarchy and CS ASAP. I didn't win Code of laws, but I did manage to trade for it with something (currency maybe). Popped a GS in one of Ragnar's old towns and bulbed philo. Here's a 1AD shot and save:
1AD.png

I whipped three settlers in unhappy cities, one to claim the norther wheat in the corner (lower priority) and one to claim a riverside cow side on the border of Ragnar and Musa's land (high priority), and one to claim a gems/ riverside between me and monty's land (high priority. I couldn't exactly afford these cities, but I knew I would soon once the cottages kicked in. Seriously, most of the cities I captured made decent to good cottage spots, and these kinda did their thing. Had a scare with Montezuma at a rather tender time. I had just captures the barb cities and begun developing the south, when I see a smallish stack come toward me:

The Montezuma Pump Fake.png

But he marched right on through and declared on Mansa. Idiot. Was unsure whether to go cuirs or rifles, but Monty made that decision for me. He took the southeast gem site with a dastardly attack about twenty turns before I was ready, and it did slow me down a bit. Fortunately, I held the second one, whipped longbows and war elephants, and teched to cuirs in time to defeat him. I could have stalemated there forever until rifle/cannon, but I had so many war elephants and decent gold income so I thought cuirs would be faster, at least as far as this backwards phallus was concerned. Here's a shot of his second suiciding stack, just after I reclaimed Pheonician with elephants against his HA/longbow in 0% defense. That jerk almost cost me lib (to Boudica of all people, tsk tsk Mansa and Willem). Cities on the south were whipping longbows while Moscow calmly build Taj. Didn't have any GS to help with Education, which was probably a mistake. I didn't want to pick a religion and wound up staying in free religion almost the whole time. I also didn't want to go caste when there was a war on.

The fort shall hold.png

"The strong, iron-hearted man-slaying [Montezuma], who would not live long..." Weird that there is still culture after he's dead, but it cleared up quickly enough I suppose.

Monty dead.png

After that, I had to decide what to do. Mansa Musa helped me by peace-vassaling to me. He was going to be next! But now that took care of my eastern flank and I didn't have to worry about Willem at all. I attacked Boudica, who I didn't realize had a defensive pact with Pacal, who had Assembly line but not rifling (typical). He sent all of a chariot and a horse archer to aid his ally, and boudica, who was at grenadiers and researching rifling (probably) vassaled to me just in time. I had enough cuirs to take her anyway, but that just helped put a tidy end to things and get me started on the next tech level. I thought artillery and infantry would be enough to take Pacal or Willem, whoever I wanted to go for.

Attachments

• 1AD.png
    1AD.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • Baba Yaga AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    223.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Baba Yaga AD-1685.CivBeyondSwordSave
    353.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Boudica bent.png
    Boudica bent.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
ah sorry if those glitch or something I didn't realize it was only 10 files lol.
Spoiler Continued :

Boudica bent.png

Wound up going to assembly line, doing a partial industrialization (limited coal plants) aided by a golden age, and then pumped out infantry/ arty. The tanks never saw action. Pacal had infantry and RR but he capped after I took one city with my CR3 arty. I considered taking a few more, but I figured I could just take it and go for bella with the intact monster stack. It was close but a few turns of culture slider but me over the edge in land and sealed the W before my peace ran out with bella

Victory.png

Very fun game on my favorite leader. Thanks @AcaMetis for posting.

One thing I think I did well this game was not going all-out on cuirs. I kept the researching hub of my empire intact, which allowed me to keep up in tech. Maybe I could have won faster if I had whipped like a bastard, as they say, but I think doing limited cuir war take care of monty into infantry/arty/tanks was lower variance. Didn't expect Pacal to give up the goose so quickly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom