Nobles' Club 293: Suryavarman II of the Khmer

Spoiler :
The classic AI worker replace cottage with farm and then a few turns later replace the farm with cottage and then a few turns later make it a farm again
Turns 57-104.
Spoiler :
There are two infinite things: universe and civ AI's stupidity. Can't be sure about the former, but the latter is beyond doubt.
View attachment 618121

Satan's voice :satan:: settle on the cow :devil:! <-- :jesus:: don't do that. Just don't :nono:.

@AcaMetis
Judging from the posts and replies, it seems you've created several trade-offs (BW or Pot first, farm flood plains or cottage it, 2 workers or 1 before the settler...). Another success of your map creation :thumbsup:.

I agree with your concept of "final exam" in another thread. In fact, after several games at Monarch, I guess it's time to think about moving up a level. Currently I'm trying to win at Emperor level with Fin leader; or practise some tough games at Monarch with a poor start + weakest leaders (Toku or Charlie). Sury's traits are TBH "in the middle" - not the strongest, far from the worst. So I'll skip this NC and just watch - not for reasons like "the map is boring", but just because the leader is neither the best choice to challenge a new level nor for a "final exam". This Sury map you provided to the community looks interesting, both for playing and watching.

@Henrik75
Looking forwards to seeing your videos of NC 289 and of this one :clap:

A small suggestion: when you record this Sury game, after you finish Agri and pick up the next tech, would you mind doing a quick analyse of "BW first vs Pot first", such as explaining the pros & cons of each path, how you make your decision between these two, and how that decision affects the next phase of your game? Thanks in advance. :)

Both BW and Pot are acceptable tech choice. Choosing between BW or Pot is much more subtle than "choosing bewteen BW and Myst", and that's what makes the discussion interesting.

@Anysense
Spoiler :

Sometimes it's nice to have a IND neighbour - look at all those shiny wonders you've captured from Qin! :goodjob:

@Whisker
Spoiler :
Elepult Qin before its too late.

Edit: I'm not sure what happened but my write up vanished so its just pics now and I'm too lazy to write it all anew.
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0169.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0184a.jpg
Civ4ScreenShot0229.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0230.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0231.JPG

Attachments

• NC-293 Sury AD-0050.CivBeyondSwordSave
    210.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
@Whisker
Spoiler :
Elepult Qin before its too late.

Edit: I'm not sure what happened but my write up vanished so its just pics now and I'm too lazy to write it all anew.

Spoiler :

A question for you sans writeup - what did you tech and/or trade for Feudalism? I was not able to obtain it via trade until 75 AD, which was one of my considerations for delaying a breakout war.

Spoiler Diety T82-T170 :

Bulbed to Engineering while waiting for Feudalism and the start of the Mongolia vs. Egypt war.
Screenshot (486).png

Picked the target who had an army out:
Screenshot (487).png

And then swept through to the other one.
Screenshot (488).png

around 750 AD Qin acquired Military Science, so I had to pause the campaign and ask for my vassals to help me tech up:

Screenshot (489).png

Fairly cheap costs to both wars, although I think I over did it with Pikemen.

Screenshot (491).png

Screenshot (490).png

@Anysense
Spoiler :

Thanks. I backed up to point I asked for the advice.
Much better this time. By 375 AD, three Chinese cities are mine and Quin has agreed to become my Vassal. First time a round attacking Mongols I only managed to get their capital 250 AD and no other cities, before once again being forced to take another peace treaty. Let's see how things go this time, as Gengis has made peace with Hatty and his stack now prowls around my border. My own stack is on its way back from Chinese land but it could get tight.

Spoiler :
After all this time, in 100AD, I was first to Music:cool: Started GA and switched to Vassalage and kept my theocratic, feudal, slaveowning police state regime till the end (740 AD conquest). I was way ahead in tech. Hard not to be when the whole world is at war starting from Classical era. When I was about to attack Hatty in 640 AD she had a large stack of War Chariots, which did not help her for some reason.

Attachments

• NC-293 Sury AD-0740.CivBeyondSwordSave
    254.5 KB · Views: 20
Deity No huts No events
Turn 1-193
Spoiler :

Plains hill settle. Skip Bronze working in favour of early pottery. Then BW -> Writing -> Construction -> Horseback bee line

Attack Qin with Elepults. He was nice enough to build Pyramids and Mausolleum for me

150BC Civil Service + Philosophy Bulb straight onto Nationalism by 200AD.

Build Taj in Golden age, and start another golden age for at total of 37 golden age turns lmao.

Lib Military Tradition 600AD but I still have 18 turns of golden age left. Instead of a cuirassier attack I go all the way to Cavalry and get Rifling around 1000AD.

Unfortunately Saladin already capped Hatshepsut via holy war, and Huayna had peace vassaled to him to make him even more stronger. We take out Nappy and Genghis first with Cavalry vs Longbow, very easy quick fights with police state golden age cavalry pumpage.

Saladin still no replaceable parts, and by that time I have 60 Cavalry. I wipe his 50 man stack out on first turn of the war, bee line his capital and hit him like a bullet train, capping him and his vassals within 10 turns. Was lucky he was stuck on a Physics bee line when I declared on him, so he wasted 8 turns teching astro & then physics, then went for grenadiers afterward but was already capitulated as he got chemistry.

1330ad.PNG

sury conquest.PNG

Video let's play will be available in my channel in 3~ days when I finish posting Willem game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom