Resource icon

Nobles' Club Bullpen: Fourth Cycle

Can we get an update to the bullpen to include the NC games after 176? So new guys like me can find them in one area
The only option I see to fix things right now is to create a "Nobles club bullpen fouth-and-a-half cycle", and that we migrate to that thread instead for the reminder of the cycle.
I could arrange that if you think it's a good idea.
If you want to help out, you could scout the forums for all links to the games that are missing (NC177 -> NC200).
There are mods who can edit old posts. @dutchfire maybe can help?

We should be able to find links to all the missing NCs by going back this thread..

NC 177 Shaka
NC 178 Napoleon
NC 179 Qin
NC 180 Hatty
NC 181 Suleiman
NC 182 Toku
NC 183 Mansa Musa
NC 184 Roosevelt
NC 185 Suryavarman
NC 186 Cyrus
NC 187 Elizabeth
NC 188 Genghis
NC 189 Mao
NC 190 Brennus
NC 191 Frederick
NC 192 Huayna Capac
NC 193 Catherine
NC 194 Ragnar
NC 195 Asoka
NC 196 Lincoln
NC 197 Gilgamesh
NC 198 Joao
NC 199 Ramesses
NC 200 Willem

Found announcements and links to all in this thread, except NC 200... :nono:

NC will be up sometime in the next hour or two after I figure out how to use cygwin..

You know what's funny? I went poking around the game files and realized just how easy it is to get the game reading and writing barbarian techs in worldbuilder saves. It's not some deep game limitation preventing it. It's just that whoever wrote CvWBDesc.py naively thought that "for i in range(gc.getMAX_CIV_TEAMS()):" would cover every team. But that goes from 0 to gc.getMAX_CIV_TEAMS()-1, i.e. 0 to 17. The barbarian civ is on team gc.getMAX_CIV_TEAMS(), team 18.

Changing line 1529 of CvWBDesc.py from "for i in range(gc.getMAX_CIV_TEAMS()):" to "for i in range(gc.getMAX_CIV_TEAMS() + 1):" makes the worldbuilder save information about barbarian techs (as well as other stuff, like civ contact and war status) to the .CivBeyondSwordWBSave file. Even with the information added, the file still can be loaded without errors by an original, un-edited CvWBDesc.py file - it just will skip over the barb information when reading.

Then changing line 1622 to "for iTeamLoop in range(gc.getMAX_CIV_TEAMS() + 1): " and line 1794 to "for i in range(gc.getMAX_CIV_TEAMS() + 1):" makes it attempt to read the information for the barbarian team when loading WBSaves - although these changes are sketchier, as now the WB will not successfully load saves that don't contain barb-team information.

If only those six additional characters - three additional "+1" - had been included in the game initially.

Last edited:
You know what's funny? I went poking around the game files and realized just how easy it is to get the game reading and writing barbarian techs in worldbuilder saves. It's not some deep game limitation preventing it. It's just that whoever wrote CvWBDesc.py naively thought that "for i in range(gc.getMAX_CIV_TEAMS()):" would cover every team. But that goes from 0 to gc.getMAX_CIV_TEAMS()-1, i.e. 0 to 17. The barbarian civ is on team gc.getMAX_CIV_TEAMS(), team 18.

Changing line 1529 of CvWBDesc.py from "for i in range(gc.getMAX_CIV_TEAMS()):" to "for i in range(gc.getMAX_CIV_TEAMS() + 1):" makes the worldbuilder save information about barbarian techs (as well as other stuff, like civ contact and war status) to the .CivBeyondSwordWBSave file. Even with the information added, the file still can be loaded without errors by an original, un-edited CvWBDesc.py file - it just will skip over the barb information when reading.

Then changing line 1622 to "for iTeamLoop in range(gc.getMAX_CIV_TEAMS() + 1): " and line 1794 to "for i in range(gc.getMAX_CIV_TEAMS() + 1):" makes it attempt to read the information for the barbarian team when loading WBSaves - although these changes are sketchier, as now the WB will not successfully load saves that don't contain barb-team information.

If only those six additional characters - three additional "+1" - had been included in the game initially.

K. Did not understand a single word you wrote. But as long as barbs start with archery and stuff eh i guess thats pretty dope and stuff. Noice. After looking confused at your text and hurting my brain, guess i am going to read some comics to relax and recover. Next lvl computer magician wizardry going on here.

Time for a new NC map already?! I have just gotten time to start the alex one (great fun btw).
No problem, will post in 8 hours or so.

Seemed like nobody really interested in playing (though apparently was wrong). But then again, maybe people are too busy playing/debating cookbooks :).

I think the cookbooks take alot of focus from forum active players yes.
NC201 Alex has been downloaded 32 times, so I think it's fair to say that the regular lurkers have approved. :)

Well... watching civ4 letsplays is really a rather large time investment. I don't follow all of Lains plays either. I prioritize getting some playtime myself. :)
I'll most likely check it out from time to time (especially starts) since I like NC quite alot.

I do think it would be popular and helpful for the rather large lurking crowd too. (Each NC game is being downloaded 40-60 times, while we have 5-10 making comments on the forum.

That, and also it's probably helpful for you!

I just ran a little test with the native windows game capture software on the XBox app. It slowed Civ (unmodded new game) waaaaaaaaaay down and wasn't capturing audio even though my settings allow for it. I'm not sure if the slowdown is because I don't have a great PC, or the recording software itself. I couldn't imagine playing a full game that slowly modded and with multiple cities, switching between overlays, then going back to do post commentary. Looks like I'll have to explore other options and maybe get a mic.

If there's anyone here with experience or technical prowess in these matters, please do tell. Modern technology has never quite been my forte. It's probably part of the reason I play a game where you have to research things like agriculture, the wheel, and writing every game :lol:

@Undefeatable How is that Augustus game going?
You want me to drop in the monty one as a intermezzo while you plot a devious challenge condition? :)

Top Bottom