1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobles' Club Bullpen: Fourth Cycle

Nobles' Club Bullpen: Fourth Cycle

1. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

I'm not sure, it depends on how quickly I can roll a suitable map. I've got one that looks like it'll do the trick, but it took more WB effort than I'd like to admit - swapped positions of the player and an AI, moved two forest, swapped a total of 4 resources (which included changing one flatland to a hill to accommodate the swap) and changed one Tundra to a Plains tile. Of course in the process I also realized that I might have to make a slight...adjustment to my plans. Just a slight oversight that needs to be...corrected :devil:.

krikav likes this.
  2. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Sounds like loads of fun is comming our way!! :)

3. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

Fine with me. De Gaulle first, assuming I get a map in time :p.

That's one word for it :mischief:.

EDIT: Alright, here's the best map that I managed to get. It's not perfect, but it's close, and I don't think I can get it closer without a ton of reloads or giving WB a solid workout. Sum total of changes made (some map and AI spoilers included):
    Spoiler :
    Switched player starting position with Wang Kong, swapped a Wine resource with Stone, swapped an Oil resource with Marble, moved a forest from SIP 2SE onto a grassland hill.

Perhaps a bit too generous, but the intent of the map is to show off the usefulness of failbuilding wonders to generate failgold, so there's Stone/Marble for plenty of failbuilds. It's not a situation that I didn't encounter while rolling maps, so I don't think it's not representative of what the game can generate. A generous example, perhaps, but not an unreasonable one.

In any case, while Lain would definitely see this map as a chill vacation, I imagine that the kind of players NC is for will be less comfortable with some of the challenges present.
    If there's problems with it I can try to roll a different map, though a guideline or two as to what needs to change would help in that situation :undecide:.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  4. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

Sounds like the type of map where players can jump up in difficulty. Is it intended to provide WB saves as well for more convenience?

5. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Something have gone wrong.
    I did the usual thing, opend up the game and saved it as a worldbuilder file, then ran the script and then started the game from the diety save.
    This is what I see. :(
    Spoiler :

Something gone wrong with starting locations?
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

6. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

Yeah, as I said I swapped starting positions with one of the AIs so the starting coordinates of Player 0 and Team 5 (in this case) need to be swapped. No need to worry though, I've already created all of the WB saves manually. I haven't tested every single one, but I tested like half of them, and they seem to work just fine :).

I know it's not quite the weekend yet, so do I post it now or in a day or two? And of course, I assume the map itself was fine for a NC game?

7. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Oh, you have already done the work? :D
    I got it to work now too (I think), did just change the starting locations (seems like the script uses them?) attached the zip if you want, but I have only checked the deity save.

I'm perfecly fine with starting the game as soon as you want.
    I have tried to squint alot so I don't really know the layout of the map, but the starting location looks VERY genereous!

There have been quite a few somewhat hard NC games lately (The NC206 Monty I rolled blind was no exception), so if this is a break from that, I think it's appreciated.
    Difficult to say, because the lurkers mostly just lurk in the shadows. :)
    50+ people regularly download these games, many probably play them too.

Attached Files:

8. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

Nothing wrong about playing Wang with 3 settlers :)

9. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

I checked every difficulty to see if the AI got the proper starting units and every other instance of (No)HuttsEvents to see if they had huts/events or not, so in the hopes that I did things right I'll use mine. Honestly I want to give people the opportunity to see how I actually made the saves manually - I ran a Find -> Replace command in Notepad++ to replace every instance of "ImprovementType=IMPROVEMENT_GOODY_HUT" with "### ImprovementType=IMPROVEMENT_GOODY_HUT" instead of actually deleting them, which still works. The game won't load in the goody huts since their placement is commented out :D. Than to make a save with huts and events I ran the reverse Find -> Replace command to un-comment out the goody huts and commented out the No Events option. I definitely could have done it more easily, still had to manually add all the techs and all, but I thought it was a reasonably clever solution :).

And yes, it's a pretty generous start that De Gaulle can work like an absolute champ :hammer:. I figured that if people really wanted to play the hardest of hard maps they could raid Lain's thread for some proper monsters.

10. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

i have already started on deGaulle. that's my kinda game!
    by opening an extra thread, we wouldn't spam the bullpen with our specific tactical reflections :)

11. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

...Oh yes, for future reference, here's the link to the De Gaulle NC game: Noble's Club 208: De Gaulle of France

Anyway, what leaders are left? We've got an Izzy map and apparently someone has plans for an Augustus map? So...just Kublai Khan? Is he the only leader that's left?

12. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

I tried to do it the same way for my Izzy save game, but when I load the save into Notedpad ++, everything is shredded and completely non-sense. (Honestly, i wasn't even expecting Notepad++ to recognize a Civ4 savegame.) What have I done wrong here?

13. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Not the save file, the worldbuilder file!
    You roll a game, when you open up worldbuilder and you save it as a worldbuilder file.

14. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

got it. it will be take a while to add techs and units for all 6 levels manually, but i will get along with it. the only problem that I encounter is the starting screen right after loading the WB save as a scenario or custom scenario. it wants me to chose my nation. see screenshot. PLEASE COVER THE SCREEN IMMEDIATELY WITH YOUR HAND NOT TO SEE THE OTHER CIVS. Isabella will pop up in top of the list. That would be extremly spoilerish.....

Attached Files:

15. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

From the OP:
    In case you missed it there's a few other miscellaneous steps that need to be performed as well, such as turn limit (which would otherwise be a problem for non-Normal gamespeeds) and the like.

16. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

works, the starting screen has gone. starting turn = 0 and max. turns = 500?

17. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I think that the turns=500 should be removed? But I have no idea really, have never done the whole procedure manually. :)
    Check at how it looks in some of the old wb-saves?

18. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

The turn limit should be removed, yes, otherwise you'd end up with Marathon games ending after 500 turns instead of the usual 1500. Just check the editing worldbuilder save files instructions in the fourth post, it's got every step you need.

19. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

alright, i have found the instructions given by dalamb. i think I'm fine.

20. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

While going through the older topics, i saw that there was a discussion about Fantasy Realm Maps. Is that still interesting for some people? Or have you even had a recent NC game on FR? I have been playing this script quite often in the past and I know a bit what should be paid attention to during map creation. Some edits probably have to be made, otherwise the map can cause more trouble than usual.