1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobles' Club Bullpen: Fourth Cycle

Nobles' Club Bullpen: Fourth Cycle

1. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

I believe there was a fantasy realm NC map fairly recently, yes. NC 200, IIRC?

2. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

No, I don't think I can recal a FR nobles club.
    Lain played one a few games ago, and I think there was a discussion about it here, but I don't think we ever got a game?

3. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

For the Isabella game, i had something special in mind. My current map reflects a situation of being boxed in very hard, but after a test run on IMM, it seems almost too tough, regarding that we don't have only veterans here. So i am ready to change plans and thinking about putting her in a Fantasy Realm. If you guys are ok with that. Like I said, i know these map types quite well and would do my best to keep it balanced with the least possible changes.

4. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

Ah, I'm quite certain that someone rolled a FR map for NC 200...though, come to think of it, I believe that was NC game was Willem, and people thought it was a waste of Willem's UU to put him on, effectively, a weird Lakes map, so a different one was used, the semi-iso with quintuple Fur Pacal one that...AbsoluteZero, I think, showed off? I wouldn't be opposed to a FR NC map, necessarily, but I vaguely recall that there was at least one planned, recently? I'm afraid I haven't the time to play forum sleuth right now, either...

5. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

The only thing that I remember was planned was @Fish Man and his Augustus game, other then that I think the field is wide open.
    I personally don't like FR mapscript, but I wouldn't mind at least trying it out in a NC game.

6. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

I have played several NC between 176 and 208, at least there was no FR map. The NC 200 neither. I have seen discussions about it, but no final result. If several people think that this would hurt the NC guidelines, I wouldn't roll a map like this, if most of you are fine with that, i would give it a try.

7. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

It does not hurt any guidelines.
    I remember a alex game sometime in the first or second cycle that had borealis, and alot of people went amokk because it was something other than just plain continents/fractal/pangea.

But that was a really long time ago, and I do think that we should try out different things abit more.
    So I approve of the idea, and even though I personally don't like FR I will give it a go.

Tobiyogi likes this.
  8. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

If there hasn't been a FR NC map recently I also have no objections to it, variety is good, though I have to admit I'm curious about how balanced FR maps generally are. Would the game consider a desert Cow a "food resource" as far as map generation is concerned? PH Cow? Can it spawn Corn or Pig on a Floodplain? I'm not sure how you'd balance the player and AIs being able to start with and around such a wide range of tiles/resources.

9. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

You're right, it can go crazy. First of all, I have created a small map where I would add 2 civs. The current test map provides more than 800 land tiles, so there is space for 7 leaders. As for the tiles, I would make sure that everyone's capitol looks good in terms of food and that one strategic ressource is nearby. Of course the player should adapt to new tiles like pigs on the ice, horses under jungle etc... I wouldn't change that because that adds the flavor to the game. Balancing means that you have a decent capitol, that you have somewhere to settle next, that distance between the civs are respected, and that no-one gets a bunch of super power tiles. ( I was playing fantasy once with a financial leader and i got 2 Plain Oasis = 4/1/3 plus gems in my capitol.) I would of course prevent that too.

10. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

@krikav
    how is your matchplan for NC209? do you wanna host the next map, maybe with Kublai? Isabella is ready, incl. zip-file and a little story around the game, but at that time (next week-end), I will be travelling and less available to internet.

11. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Lost track of shedule completely. :)
    Is it time for a new game already? Or is it next weekend? I can host a Kublai game for next weekend, but not sure I can conjure up a nice story or anything like that. :)

Good to know that a Isabella game is ready!

@Fish Man Did you lose your Augustus game in all the turmoil around your hiatus, or is it just lying on the shelf?

12. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

No, not yet. Next week-end would be a decent time. As I am in Spain right now, I have built up a story around the spanish Reconquista that falls also in the reign of Isabella the first. Guess you are not in Mongolia right now, so any game is fine :)

Fish Man and krikav like this.
  13. Fish Man

Fish Man Chieftain

My original plan for the Augustus game was to reroll maps until I got something suitable for a deity praet rush (something like an extremely-close Shaka but you had iron). I don't even remember whether I rolled something good for that, much less if I have it. Can I put that on indefinite hold for a bit? I'm sure others would be happy to upload other maps in the meantime :).

krikav likes this.
  14. Qactus

Qactus Romani ite domum

I think I posted exactly the map you're looking for (Augustus boxed in with iron) a couple of years ago:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ith-immortal-pretorians.503833/#post-12662103
    Feel free to use that one for your game, it is definitely a fun map!

15. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

16. Olafeson

Olafeson Chieftain

@krikav

thanks for all the effort you put into your posts and into the recent nobles club series. I would like to try and host NC 210.

Never did it before, but i played a ot of NC games and it would just be fair to not let others do all the work. Some help might be aprreciated for my first try though .:rolleyes:
    Don t want to embarras myself and create a game which does not live up to the good standard of all his predecessors.

Like if someone could doublecheck the savegame files.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Tobiyogi, Excal and krikav like this.
  17. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Thanks for praise @Olafeson part of the fun is to share. :)
    Would be very much appreciated! However, I think @Tobiyogi has NC210 Isabella scheduled for the weekend in two weeks already.

If you roll a game you like, I can always be helpful with generating the worldbuilder files automatically with the linux script. And ofcourse I can help doublecheck savefiles too.

Don't be scared to not living up to any standard, mapmaking seems to be alot hit&miss, some maps you put alot of effort into are not appreciated, and sometimes you get praise for just a randomly rolled one. :)

18. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

it's true, nc 210 with Isabella is ready to go, it will be a very funky map that breaks all the good routine even of the most advanced players .... is there another leader left? the next game should be a "normal" one I guess without much fuss ;-)

19. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

IIRC after Izzy is Augustus, and that's it.

20. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

I guess that the kublai game is still in full motion... i wonder if it's already time for isabella during the upcoming week-end or rather later, let's say in 10 days?