1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobles' Club CLXX: Sitting Bull of the Native Americans

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by vandermerwe, Apr 25, 2015.

1. JSS

JSS Chieftain

Looks like a jump in difficulty level or 2 is in order for your next game. If you are able to come up with short and long term plans and execute them (which you are doing this game), stomping the Monarch level AI at least should not give you any difficulty.

2. Gargantua_FR

Gargantua_FR Chieftain

Yes, but again, this is overkill territory.
    When I started a game on Monarch, I got what I would call the Brownie where there actually is not so much to eat :
    Spoiler :

I am now in 1000 AD in this one and confident about my winnig possibilities, though.

3. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

The mapscript is espionage unfriendly, but philo+protective leader screams for trying espionage game

4. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Nah, it calls for a good old cuirassier rush (monarch, normal):

Attached Files:

5. JSS

JSS Chieftain

The Pyramids are not that strong considering the opportunity cost that gets paid for not settling as many good cities that there are to expand into. There are 2 spots for good cottage cities, and more than enough GP farms. No more research is needed for a fast military advantage. By settling more cities ealier, production doesn't become a bottleneck.

6. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

I thought i edited that post and said GW + spies are actually better than scientists. I'll make it clearer.

7. Gator Country

Gator Country Chieftain

Hey folks. I've been away for a while, but decided to give this game a try. I'm on Noble, Normal speed, Hut and Events on. I'm still going to need a fair bit of advice, so I'm going to play short segments, saving frequently so I can replay without too much lost progress.

Spoiler :
    Initial thoughts - as always feel free to step in and correct me as needed. :) I'm currently on T15.

Ended up settling in place after moving the warrior onto the stone didn't show me any compelling reason to do otherwise. First build was a Worker - as far I was concerned that was a no-brainer as I already had the tech necessary to farm the wheat. My second build is a warrior as there's nothing else that can be built in a reasonable number of turns until the city grows a bit. My first warrior has hit two huts (got gold from both) and defeated two barb animals - the promotion went to Woodsman. thre two early religions are already gone.

The worker has finished and is building the farm on the wheat. My tech path has been Mining > Masonry > BW (still teching). After that, I have to think about it - going AH allows me to brings the pigs on line, but going TW and Pottery would let me get the granary built. Either would lead to Writing > Alpha, but I'm wondering if tech trading is going to be very good considering I'm dealing with at least a semi-isolated start given the map type.

I'm thinking the Pyramids are a good play for a wonder, possibly Great Wall as well. Stonehenge is very tempting for the free Totem Poles, but I'm not sure if I want to burn 6 turns researching Mysticism, and bringing that into the mix starts to get the wonder hogging out of hand, I think.

OTOH, it looks like I have a very nice assortment of resources on my little peninsula (though I still have quite a bit more exploring to do), so perhaps I should skip the wonderbuilding entirely and just concentrate on pumping out cities until I meet some of the AIs, at least.

8. Gator Country

Gator Country Chieftain

Just a quick update before calling it a night;

I ended up restarting - wasn't happy with my tech selections. This is one area of my game that definitely needs tightening up. I've played through to Turn 53.

Spoiler :
    AH > Hunting > Writing. I picked up Hunting because I wanted the happiness increase from camping the elephants. As it turned out, I picked up both Mining and Masonry from huts, so I went ahead and researched Alphabet. After that came in I was able to trade for Archery, BW, Pottery and The Wheel with the AIs I've met so far - Alexander, Isabella and Napoleon. Isabella would not trade me Mysticism though, so I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and tech that myself, if for no other reason than to build Totem Poles for the XP boosts and border pops.

I founded my second city at around Turn 40 - settled it SE of the capital so it could grab the crabs, pigs (after I get IW) and gold. I've got screens of both cities below, along with dotmaps of the next four.

Pictures -

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

ETA - Looking at it again this morning, I see a couple of mistakes already.
    Spoiler :
    In Cahokia I've got workers building a mine on that plains hill to the NE; they should probably be cottaging that unimproved FP tile that the city is working. I'm also guessing I shouldn't be building the barracks in Cahokia - problem is that I've got just about max hammers if I do a 2-pop whip for it, and I hate to throw that away. Maybe do the best I can with it and dump the overflow into a library? Or maybe I should hold off on that for a bit and keep my GP pool clean until that Great Spy pops.

I'm thinking similarly in Poverty Point, except there let the WB build a few more turns to create more overflow and dump that into the granary. At any rate I know I've got to get the third city going in the next 15-20 turns or so.

9. Gator Country

Gator Country Chieftain

700 BC Update -

I decided to sacrifice my expansion a bit and build the Pyramids - got them finished in 850 BC and switched into Representation. I guess we'll see how it plays, but it's definitely time to start pumping out settlers. I've gotten Currency researched and am just about finished with Calendar so I can start working on some of these happy resources. My workers have been pre-chopping forests and building cottages, and one is pre-roading the path to my third city, which I'm planning to place on the plains hill next to the horses to the east. I've backfilled more techs with the AIs I've met, and picked up IW so I can clear jungle. My GW Great Spy popped and I settled him in the capital.

As far as wonders go, the Oracle is gone, but GL and GLH are still in play. I'm probably not going to bother with GLH; GL, OTOH, I may go for if I can find some marble.

AIs so far, in rough order of meeting -

Spoiler :
    Alexander, Isabella, Napoleon, Hatty, Elizabeth. Beth and Hatty are both Pleased with me, everyone else is still Cautious. Hatty's been my best tech trading partner so far. Alex and Napoleon are buddies, while Alex hates Liz and Napoleon hates Hatty and Isabella. Liz has a peace treaty with me. Going to be an interesting diplo situation - I've got scouts out but still haven't found anyone's land except Elizabeth's yet.

10. MrBojangles4

MrBojangles4 Chieftain

Spoiler :
    Monarch 1 AD. I have a great tech rate going as I build the Mids and switched into representation while running 2 scientists in every city. Just built cities 4 and 5. Every civ has founded a different religion so i am not sure if I will choose a religion or not. Trying to plan for my military conquests ahead.. what do you think i should tech towards and attack with?

Attached Files:

11. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Chieftain

That's all good thing you got going so far. Since i used to use sb like that, then use philosophy and build more wonders so that you can make a lot of great people. Universities get built quick so why not build those too.

12. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

have been playing up to liberalism, but then I didn't know which way to go.... anything that leads to dom/conquest seems impossible to me as

Spoiler :
    the world is shaped in a way that every civ has its own little world where they can build up 12-15 cities. Nappy got even 17 peacefully. It's only 5 opponents on a standard map, really not ideal. The map is interesting, but not really playable imo.

13. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Not playable as in you can't play the map and expect to win or as in you can't enjoy the map? Hard to believe neither.

14. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

Well, not playable might be a big word. The map-shape is quite interesting though, but i am highly discouraged when I see everyone else so big. I use to start with a "little" target that I can easily integrate to my own empire. Despite many DOWs, I haven't seen any AI lose a city to another, I suppose that everyone has enough strengst to well defend,
    Spoiler :
    even Elizabeth against Alex, or Hatty against Nappy

When I am reviewing my game, I might say that it was a mistake to wait too long for war, because in the end, everyone is quite consolidated and the power of Sitting Bull (UU, UB) is certainly in the beginning of the game.

Btw, there were some bugs (?) I have never experienced before, like in the middle of renaissance, all my open border-agreements were suddenly cancelled for no evident reason. This happened again later, but only with one AI. Or wait, could that be a vote from the AP that I wasn't told about because the religion was in none of my cities? Like stop trading with the infideles?

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  15. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Probably an AP resolition, "stop trading with the infidels"

16. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Chieftain

I agree, building the pyramids didn't do me much good neither, as there are quite a lot happy resources and you'd better expand into the free land. Hanging gardens on the other hand are useful once you have settled 5 or 6 cities and they are not gone yet.