1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobles' Club CXLIV: Napoleon of the French

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by elitetroops, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Spoiler :
    Yeah always worth counting food required for a site before settling. Same for production cities. How many farms do you have and how many mines/workshops could it use?

City placement is so important on this game. Get it wrong early on and you will struggle. This map allows for some mistakes even on Immortal due to soo many commerce and food resources.

2. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

Played a little bit of this map on Immortal.

Spoiler :
    Not really sure if I'll play this one out, map is huge with over 1100 land tiles :(, which makes for a rather laborious game.

Anyway, seems easy as hell. I spotted Russian land early on the neighbouring landmass, so instead of settling the pigs+gold I threw down a quick coastal site and erected the GLH since it was clear that foreign trade was a good earner here. The continent is jam packed with food and commerce. Only stress was Willem going WHEOOHRN for a while and massing quite an army, but then he dropped out of it.

There's no doubt that the game is as good as won, the question is can I be arsed to put in the hours grinding it out on such a humongous map? Probably not.

Attached Files:

3. Choggy

Choggy Prince

Spoiler :
    I've got through WvO and Stalin. 31 cities now and just the 'small' matter of Alex's 17 cities and Mehmed's 15 cities to go. Carthage is too small to be of any concern.

I might cap everybody for a Conquest win because the AI are getting closer to Rifling, although that does mean I'll need to also take care of Capec's 15 cities too.

4. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

Up to 1280AD on Immortal.

Spoiler :
    Last city I settled was Grenoble on the gems island. I noticed a galley belonging to Alex (he of the TWO peacevassals :rolleyes:) in the area, which made me suspicious, and sure enough:

Defending this island was going to be inconvenient as I had to ferry troops over there by galley. I actually spent the gold to upgrade two archers to longbows. Then just before he DoWed he made a request.

This bought me a few more turns to prepare, although it was a bit of a pain actually, since he landed a stack on my land and started moving it about randomly until he was able to DoW, so I had to keep track of it and anticipate where he would attack. Irksome.

In the meantime, I made some money with the traditional Economics GM:

My GP farm spawned a Great Spy by accident, after the city manager decided to run a spy without my permission. he turned out to be useful, as I infiltrated Willem and he teched gunpowder for me.

As you can see in the pic, Alex had now invaded with that stack. Just in time for me to lib rifling:

I splattered that stack, obviously. Alex continued to pointlessly throw units at me, but he did succeed in tying down units and generally making a nuisance of himself when I could probably be more productively spending my time killing Willem, or something like that. I did achieve some small things, like unlocking and building the HE (Paris), getting a couple of Great Generals, and stealing another tech:

Hannibal has now had enough free techs from Alex to satisfy him for the time being, and has broken free, so I made peace with him. May also take peace with Alex/Stalin and go and kill Willem.

I'm wracking my brains for a way to finish this game without having to play for another ten hours. :confused:

Map thoughts: commerce is easy, production is so-so. All the AIs are either going to get 15 cities, or peacevassal themselves to somebody who does. Furthermore, everybody on the neighbouring continent will form a tech-sharing lovefest, which can, as we all know, be a pain.

@ Gumbolt:

Spoiler :
    I reckon you did rather well with your finish date on this map. I can see my game dragging out quite a while, as the pointless war has delayed me making any actual progress and the AI tech rate among all those high-peaceweight confucian buddies with their large empires could spiral out of control on me.

5. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

1540AD:

Spoiler :
    Been busy. Peaced out of that war I was in, destroyed Willem to complete extermination, then DoWed Alex-Stalin and Capped them both. At this stage the game is well and truly done and dusted, and it's unlikely I'll see it through to the formal finale. I have total hegemony here.

Some interesting naval war on this map. I killed 25 frigates in numerous battles in the channel between continents. Also note the riflemen numbers - my draft farm (sheep - corn - fish) has been spitting out units for a long time.

6. silverjack100

silverjack100 Chieftain

Spoiler :

Finished with a diplomatic victory... awesome, almost OP starting position though. But, still fun.

7. dalamb

dalamb Deity

Also no tech brokering.
    Spoiler :
    Settled 1W to free the hill for a mine. First warrior explored, finding a scout and a 2nd warrior to do more exploring -- so I found a lot of huts and got a bunch of cash. Teched mining then got this message:

I guess giving the barns archery makes them significantly more powerful than I'm used to; this is the first time I've done it if I recall correctly.

Then I tech'ed AH > Pott > BW in that order to (a) pasture the pigs (b) build a granary before whipping (c) get slavery. Then I went the mysticism > meditation route and will try for the Oracle with presthood. I manage to build stonehenge while chopping trees for settlers. First went to the horses for barb protection and possible invasion; 2nd just finished, and I'm figuring out where to send them. Here's a dotmap:
    Spoiler dotmap :

I think I'll settle yellow for the gold and floodplains, and get cottages going ASAP. Then copper for a possible axe sort-of-rush; it might be a bit late for a "rush" at that point, so I need to consider a chariot rush now.

Lots of coastal places, and with a large landmass visible to the southeast I figure I have an overseas neighbour for trade, and I have a bunch of coastal locations to settle, so after priesthood will be fishing > sailing and try for the Great Lighthouse. I don't really know if I'll try to take out Willem or keep him for a trading partner; IIRC he tends to expand fairly fast, so if I let him be I'll have to REX aggressively to get enough land. I'll decide after the SE neighbour shows up, possibly.
    Comments on the dotmap welcome

Attached Files:

8. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Well done Silverjack! :goodjob: What was your difficulty?

@dalamb:
    Spoiler :
    I'd put yellow 1W. Normally I try to avoid settling on FP, but here I think pig in first ring is that important. Also, moving it 1W allows 2 more riverside cottages (your current spot has 4FP+3 green riverside, 1W has 4FP+5 green riverside).

Brown spot I'd consider 1N. The pig is a higher yield tile than dry corn and you'd like to work that one first. This would also leave room for yet another city south by the clams, if you feel like putting one there some day. Otherwise it looks all good! :)

Did you get any of the barb uprising events? That would probably explain Alex' demise...

9. Amao

Amao King

@dalamb

Spoiler :

Similar with elite for yellow. But i wouldn't had settle the horse city this early. Reason, no food. I'd have had the yellow settled first. Reason, pig+gold, high food+much quicker tech rate. I'd also consider how to utilize those extra golds in the first few city settling plans. Personally, I took the northern gold as the 3rd city, then settle the double gold by sharing the pig with the 2nd city. At that time, the 2nd city had already grown to it's limit and had enough FPs to support the single gold mine keep working.

Just my 2 cents.

10. dalamb

dalamb Deity

@elitetroops,Amao:
    Spoiler :
    Thanks for the advice. When I picked horses first, it was purely thinking in terms of "chariot rush my nearest neighbour". It was only when thinking about the fact that we were the only two on my starting continent that I started thinking "maybe leave Willem alone for a while."

I'll definitely settle near the southern gold next.

11. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Had a break from civ recently, trying this on monarch normal no huts. Got up to 750bc.
    Spoiler :
    Pretty straightforwards so far, fogbusted with warriors and been lucky.
    Expanded to six cities, just got Glight.
    Bill only has two cities and is spamming missionaries, must convert to Hinduism to keep him happy. There´s red borders down South, must check them out soon.

Re dotmap:
    Spoiler :
    I settled FP city 1S of lake:2 gold, 5fp, pigs in first ring.

12. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Monarch normal nohuts 1240ad.
    Spoiler :
    Going ok. AIs have been really slow. Got Parthenon/glib in late bcs. Tried something slightly unconventional, avoided med, CS and theo. First GS for academy, second bulbed machinery, third finished astronomy 550ad. Engineering next, dowed Stalin 840ad who capped to Mehmed 900ad which was unfortunate. However libbed steel 1120ad and slowly ground them down,I´ve just annihilated Stalin and got peace with Mehmed to launch my second GA.

Attached Files:

13. hankinsohl

hankinsohl Warlord

Spoiler :

This is proving to be a difficult map for me.

I tried this Nobles Club when it first came out. As I recall, I did fairly well, taking all of my own continent, amassing a large number of cities.

But then Russia was vasalled by the Greeks who had a huge amount of land. I was far from Astronomy and so, to continue to attack I would have had to begin attacking Russia using galleys to move troops. I gave up because I'd never be able to pull such an attack off in time.

I tried this same map more recently also running into problems. I tried to grab Stonehenge early on, but each time I did either I got crushed by barbarians and/or Willem started to aggressively expand taking all the iron from me.

I'm going to give this another whirl, maybe HA rushing Willem this time. Stay tuned for the outcome :lol:

In retrospect, given the large amount of forested land nearby and the relatively far distance to the nearest AI, going for an early wonder is probably a big mistake. Barbarians will inevitably become a huge problem. So this time I'm grabbing horses and/or copper early on and I'm definitely going to remove Willem too.

14. dalamb

dalamb Deity