1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobles' Club CXLV: Genghis Khan of the Mongols

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Robert FIN, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Robert FIN

Robert FIN Monty n' Roll

The Nobles' Club series started out as a way for Noble-level (and below) players to improve their game. Most of the original participants now play at much higher levels, so this has become a way for advanced players to help others learn to play better. You can play your own game at any level and with any mod, but it would be nice to comment on the games of other players and give them advice.

Our next leader is Genghis Khan of The Mongols, whom we last played in NC CIV. The Mongols start with The Wheel and Hunting.
    • Traits: Genghis Khan is Aggressive and Imperialistic.
    • The UB: The Ger, a Stable with 2 extra XP points to mounted units compared to normal Stable, which means +4XP to every new Mounted unit. It is very is very cool because it has a good synergy with the Mongolian UU..

• The UU: The Keshik, a Horse Archer with one first strike that ignores terrain movement costs. Unlike Horse Archers, Keshiks lack immunity to first strikes, but its own first strike cancels an unpromoted archer's base first strike. Better than its base unit. Its base unit is strongest in the game, so you can do the math. Top tier UU. Synergizes well with the UB..
    And the start:

Spoiler map details :
    2-continents, Global Hi'lands.
    Spoiler edits :
    Horse added, Southern mountain range added, Saladin's area made worse and several leader's starting points changed.
    Finally, a cut and paste of our standard doctrine:The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC CXLV Genghis Noble" (or Monarch, etc., for higher levels). You can play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.
    Spoiler what's up with specific difficulties :
    In each scenario file you can select your level of difficulty, but that doesn't give the AI the right bonus techs by itself. Use the Noble save for all levels at and below Prince. The Monarch save gives all the AI Archery. Emperor adds Hunting; Immortal adds Agriculture; Deity adds The Wheel.

For players on Monarch or above, you should add archery as a tech for the barbarians (if you don't, the AI will capture their cities very early). This cannot be done in the WB save file and must be done in Worldbuilder as follows:
    Spoiler how to add techs to the barbarians :

1. Zoom in all the way so you can't see the rest of the map.
    2. Use the CTRL-W key (or the menu) to enter the worldbuilder. Avoid looking at the mini-map in the lower right corner.
    3. By default you're in "player" mode (look in the box in the upper right; the icon that looks like a person should be selected). You'll get a drop down menu labeled with your leader's name. Barbarians are at the bottom, so cover the rest of the list with your hand if you don't want to see who else is on the map. Select "Barbarians".
    4. Select the "Technologies" tab in the box on the left.
    5. Find Archery (the arrow head icon; 8th row, 3rd column from the right) and click it.
    6. Exit the worldbuilder.
    7. Zoom out again after the map fades, and start playing.
    Spoiler huts and events :
    Note: The standard saves have no huts and have events turned off. If you want tribal villages and random events, choose the saves with "Huts" in their names. If you want huts but no events, select the Huts saves and use Custom Scenario to turn on the option that suppresses events.

Attached Files:

2. Robert FIN

Robert FIN Monty n' Roll

Reserved.

Special Thanks to Noble Zarkon, for helping me in editing files :)!!

Hall of Fame:

(no wins yet)

3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

4. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

5. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I seem to start with 2 settler 3 archers and I know another AI? Yep posted wrong saves. This seems like a diety start.

6. Noble Zarkon

They're not all your troops if you look closely lol

7. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Does this mean our start was moved???

In any case up to 1500bc and somewhat happy.

Spoiler :

3 cities.
    1 monument.
    1 lighthouse
    1 great lighthouse.
    Techs mining, bw, fishing, sailing, masonry, mystism and pottery. Now teching writing.

8. Robert FIN

Robert FIN Monty n' Roll

Impossible. I did throw them away and took your files. Then I tested it and nothing was wrong... Well, I did repeat the thing and should work now. My com is weird and stupid.

Thanks for the files and starting pic.

Sorry if I'm late, I just got my WLAN working again...

9. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

The important thing is people can find the right saves now.

10. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Anyone else trying this. Could be an interesting game. Not played on much from last position. Time flies when you are having fun.

11. Noble Zarkon

1070 BC Prince - Huts but no events (don't normally go for Huts in NC but starting with scouting it's a waste not to!) - Marathon

Spoiler :

SIP - start is slow with all the work boats needed, built a couple of scouts while I waited for Fishing then it was 4 Work Boats, 2 warriors and 2 settlers.

Tech path Fishing -> AH -> Mining -> BW -> Archery -> Pottery -> HBR

Built 11 Keshiks and took out Wang Kon, kept his capital so need to limp along to Currency before I do much more.

12. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

@ Noble -

Spoiler :
    That was an overkill really. You didn't need 11 KK for a weak AI on prince. You could of split the 2 stacks and taken out 2 AI. Certainly you can mop up this continent with Kk.

Don't under value the islands here for trade routes and a nice NE city.

Overall you should be playing at least monarch here. You will walk this on Prince with a stack and such a powerful UU.

13. Noble Zarkon

@Gumbolt

Spoiler :
    Hmm busy taking out Toku now but it's tough with all these hills. Not sure what you mean by islands and NE, it takes forever to build things on islands or do you mean having a few islands will boost trade routes in your NE city?

14. Noble Zarkon

@Gumbolt
    Spoiler :

Turns out you were right :)

BTW I play Nobles Club games on Prince for a bit of fun and light relief, serious games I play on Emperor - I'm aiming for Elite QM at that level in the Hall of Fame.

15. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I might not play this out.

Spoiler :
    Between the land nearby, the captured cities of Koreans and the land down south you can easily get 10+ cities. The hills will provide a few challenges but the Ai appear to be teching quite slow here.

With GLH, currency and other techs soon this game could probably be easily won.

16. Noble Zarkon

Spoiler :
    Wise advice - can't believe the difference to my economy of planting an island city!

17. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Spoiler :
    Even that second city would help.

With GLH and 9-10 costal cities you have a huge boost. There are some nice commerce city locations if you look. Otherwise hope for mids. On prince this should be an easy game after 11 Kk roaming the map. It is a map designed for them with all the mountain and forest.

18. silverjack100

silverjack100 Chieftain

Reserved.

19. TheSunIsDark

TheSunIsDark Settled Great Scientist

Spoiler :
    Wow. This start is even more ridiculous than the last one. Elepults maybe? The Ger makes them even better...

20. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Spoiler :
    If people intend to play this at noble level then a Kk rush should easily take out 2-3 Ai pretty easily. Then it is a case of just building up an economy and winning the game.

Played on a bit more.

Spoiler :
    I was slow on the rush but around 500ad and Koreans have 1 city left. Chinese destroyed his last city. Up to 14 cities and used some GM gold to burn through monarchy and construction. The other Ai have about 8 or 9 cities each. I have taken out 2 barb cities in lower area. I sent 4-5 kk that way by boat. Lots of coastal sites I have not even settled yet. I could easily settle 20 or so cities.

My science is very slow now but I will soon be able to run caste I hope.