1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Noble's Club CXLVII - Asoka of the Indians

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by TheSunIsDark, May 2, 2014.

1. TheSunIsDark

TheSunIsDark Settled Great Scientist

The Nobles' Club series started out as a way for Noble-level (and below) players to improve their game. Most of the original participants now play at much higher levels, so this has become a way for advanced players to help others learn to play better. You can play your own game at any level and with any mod, but it would be nice to comment on the games of other players and give them advice.

Our next leader is Asoka of India, who we last played in NC LXXXI; we last played the Indians under Gandhi in NC CXXXII. The Indians start with Mysticism and Mining.

Traits: Asoka is Spiritual and Organized.

The UB: The Mausoleum, a Jail that also provides 2 extra happiness. This has the advantage of also being useful when not warring/using espionage.

The UU: The Fast Worker, a Worker with 3 movement instead of 2. It can move into forest/jungle and start chopping on the same turn, even without a road.

And the start:

Spoiler map details :
    Arboria, Medium sea level
    Spoiler edits :
    AI selection to ensure maximum AI-AI warring, replaced a coast tile with jungle near the player's start, added an island.

Finally, a cut and paste of our standard doctrine:

The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC CXLVII Asoka Noble" (or Monarch, etc., for higher levels). You can play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.
    Spoiler what's up with specific difficulties :
    In each scenario file you can select your level of difficulty, but that doesn't give the AI the right bonus techs by itself. Use the Noble save for all levels at and below Prince. The Monarch save gives all the AI Archery. Emperor adds Hunting; Immortal adds Agriculture; Deity adds The Wheel.

For players on Monarch or above, you should add archery as a tech for the barbarians (if you don't, the AI will capture their cities very early). This cannot be done in the WB save file and must be done in Worldbuilder as follows:
    Spoiler how to add techs to the barbarians :

1. Zoom in all the way so you can't see the rest of the map.
    2. Use the CTRL-W key (or the menu) to enter the worldbuilder. Avoid looking at the mini-map in the lower right corner.
    3. By default you're in "player" mode (look in the box in the upper right; the icon that looks like a person should be selected). You'll get a drop down menu labeled with your leader's name. Barbarians are at the bottom, so cover the rest of the list with your hand if you don't want to see who else is on the map. Select "Barbarians".
    4. Select the "Technologies" tab in the box on the left.
    5. Find Archery (the arrow head icon; 8th row, 3rd column from the right) and click it.
    6. Exit the worldbuilder.
    7. Zoom out again after the map fades, and start playing.
    Spoiler huts and events :
    Note: The standard saves have no huts and have events turned off. If you want tribal villages and random events, choose the saves with "Huts" in their names. If you want huts but no events, select the Huts saves and use Custom Scenario to turn on the option that suppresses events.

Attached Files:

2. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

I can't think of many times I've gone Hunting first to hook up BFC food. Fast BW looks mandatory here. Warrior NW seems best as south won't really reveal anything. Probably SIP.

About map script:
    Spoiler :
    I'm not really familiar with Arboria, but i assume most of the map is covered in forests? In my experience this nerfs the AI pretty severely early since they are so dumb when it comes to (not) chopping.

3. TheSunIsDark

Almost all grassland forest, yes. Some plains and jungle as well. The AI sometimes over-chops (into massive unhealthiness) but usually doesn't chop enough. And doesn't chop at the right times. Lumberjacking on this map script normally allows one purely-chopped wonder per city.

4. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

Jungle in the BFC? What sorcery is this!?

Also, bizarre to see grasslands deer. That's a new one on me too, but then I do avoid the more obscure map scripts.

edit - I recommend burning a turn and settling 1S to remove that sinister Jungle. I don't trust it.

5. TheSunIsDark

Fishing first is probably better (if you're getting fishing early) because you can finish both before the worker and, as you can see, there's a lake.

The jungle in the BFC occurred naturally. Probably the map script. Same with the grasslands deer,
    Spoiler :
    there's no tundra on this map but deer is plentiful. All terrain is grassland or (I think) plains. Unless you worldbuilder it in.

6. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

^ Yep, I just generated an Arboria and sure enough, this map script features weird patches of jungle, including in the BFC. :yeah:

And deer. Lots and lots of deer.

7. FlyingSwan

FlyingSwan King

Im having some problems opening the file,usually on NC games I just click the zip and a window comes up with all the different levels and hut options.When I try to open the file the screen just flashes.

8. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I can't open the win rar extension. They normally do zip files! Can you post the immortal save???

9. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Faster Workers are already bad enuf, but so much forest makes them really useless :(
    Spoiler :
    Somewhere i did read lymond really likes them, maybe they are not *that* bad :wow:

10. tijup

tijup Warlord

is that a troll ? ;-)
    A fast worker mean a worker that could enter a forest/jungle without loosing a turn. On such a map, it means a lot IMHO.

11. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Well workers on this map will either be chopping, chopping or building camps. They can move from forest to forest assuming not on a hill so makes chopping very efficient.

You can bet who one of the neighbours on this map might be. ;)

Oh link for winrar. Albeit trial version. 40 day trial?
    Winrar link.

Should be free of nasty payload software.

12. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

Debating the merits of this. With border pop in 5T we will want to work 3F1H deer to speed up the worker (13T i think). That's 2T before Fishing so I'm not sure when we would work the lake. Need BW here to do pretty much anything so getting that as quickly as possible seems like a good move.

13. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

The Arboria script is really crazy. It's possible to find some city spots that can have 8-9 grass deer in the BFC. That's pretty awesome, considering that when each is improved it gives you 5F1H. :eek:

Don't know if there are any sites like that on this particular map, but my generated map had a place like that.

You can also have mountains in the start, and completely flat starts with no hills at all.

14. ecuwins

ecuwins Emperor

Arboria, eh. I have never played that script before and may have to give it a whirl.

Winrar will work after the trial period is over, but with a nag screen.

15. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I've been trollalalala'd by My :lol: ;)

I've used Winrar for years - the same trial version I downloaded way back then. You can avoid the nag screen by not opening winrar. Just use the right-click context menu and click extract. You will never get nagged.

If my memory serves correct, ARboria is basically a large pangaea map surrounded by some water, but more land than normal pangaea. And yeah, pretty much covered in forest with tons of deer. I think calendar resources are quite rare, but you can find some gold or gems...maybe. Happiness can be an issue.

16. Refudiate

Refudiate Chieftain

Hi everyone,
    Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I've been playing some of the old nobles club games, and it's really helped me improve over time! Can't wait to start this one ;)
    I've been able to win at noble regularly, so I will play this one on Prince/epic.

17. ecuwins

ecuwins Emperor

This is a re donka donk amount of green. Here are some 725BC screens on monarch:

Spoiler :

Five workers with one on the way, six-ish forests are pre-chopped in the capital alone with several others scattered around elsewhere.

Went bronze working after hunting, for obvious reasons. Then writing > sailing for foreign trade routes and libraries.

Lots of love, lol.

18. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

Haha! I knew that was her! Busted!

You can change your name, but you can't change your posting style...:lol:

They actually seem to be pretty much pangaea-sized, at least 90% green, and yes, as you say, happiness resources can be tricky.

Plenty of rivers too, by the look of things.

19. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

re opening rar files - rather than ignoring the licence you could use the free 7-zip programme!! http://www.7-zip.org/

20. FlyingSwan

FlyingSwan King

Emporer/normal/huts/events.

Tech path HUNTING>BW>AGG>TW>POT>ALPHA.

I didn't see the benefit of teching fishing just for that 1 lake,Id rather work the dear and mines.

Spoiler :
    Got alpha and traded for AH and POLY(this came too late to reveal horses-so my southern city was misplaced),self teched Preisthood but failed the oracle to Mansa Musa by 4 turns.

The next tech was MATH,while this was coming in my workers were all pre chopping forests.

I lucked out in 800bc discovering a source of copper.For this reason I decided not to trade for IW,the idea being to keep the AI as backward as possible.The plan was to go construction next for colleseums and catapults so swords were not essential.

The only problem is the Gem mine city,I cant work it till I chop the jungle...

De Gaulle is top in score,but he became my war target because he just completed the Mids :D,and who knows,If the war goes well maybe Il sue for IW.

View attachment NC CXLVII BC-0750 missed oracle,found copper.CivBeyondSwordSave

View attachment NC CXLVII BC-0300 WAR.CivBeyondSwordSave

Spoiler :
    the war is over,only took a 1000 years:rolleyes:,but up to 13 citys,GL and parthenon are in.Waited till the AP was built before I decided what religion to spread round.It turned out to be Mansa with Judaism,luckily I have 1 city with the religion.

Plan is to spread religion/research Pacifism/build MoM before starting a GA.

View attachment NC CXLVII AD-0760 war over.CivBeyondSwordSave