Nobles Club CXXXVII - Churchill

@byang08: Thanks for doing all that replaying, because:
Spoiler :
I found it counterintuitive that stealing 2 workers was worse than stealing one. I guess it's because he brushes off losing the first worker but then decides he really needs lots more troops if you steal the second?

Spoiler :
I think the AI increases defense as soon as you declare war. I tried not stealing any workers and AC had the least defense, but that 2nd worker really speeds up your axe rush so the tradeoff is worth it. If you steal the 2nd worker AC will skip stonehenge and build only archers, and having 3 workers that early is unnecessary. In the end it's just looking for that equilibrium point.

IMM 1828 AD:
Spoiler :
Izzy is such a :mad::gripe::wallbash::aargh::badcomp::ar15:

I took all her cities on the main continent, but she still wouldn't cap. Instead she offered peace giving me one of her remaining 6 cities. My navy was on the wrong side ready to invade France, so I just took the city and decided to finish her off later.

Somehow I always manage to waste a lot of time between wars healing troops and getting them in place for the next war. I probably should at least have skipped healing and let them do that on board ships. When I was ready to attack I was 2 turns from combustion so I decided to wait and upgrade a few destroyers because that makes it a whole lot easier.

Finally in 1795 AD:
Spoiler :

Accidentally left most of my redcoats on the shore when I boarded my whole cannon stack first... But it didn't matter much.

Next turn:
Spoiler :

:D

He was kind enough to park most of his navy in Magyar. Once my destroyers got the cultural defenses down and airships did what they could from the mainland, CR3 redcoats were strong enough to take it by amphibious assault without any casualties. This resulted in a loss of >20 units for him (including the 15 ships) and he had had enough already.

Peter was next in turn, he was a bit tougher as he got infantry a few turns into the war, but after losing 6 cities he was ready to cap. I still took Moscow as I had my artillery already in place, then I accepted his capitulation.

In the meantime I've researched flight, fascism and (with the help of Hammy) radio and built airports in all my core cities. It's been a while since I've done bomber+paratrooper so I want to try it against Zara here. My artillery+redcoats/infantry will run over Genghis and then help with Zara from the south and be ready to take out Darius if he gets too close to culture.

Victory screen at 1828 AD:
Spoiler :

Still so far from domination that I think conquest is the most likely outcome. Probably could take diplo also if I build UN, but I'd rather not this time.

Finally... IMM domination 1882 AD:
Spoiler :
After capping Peter I sent my army south to invade Mongolia while I built a ton of paratroopers that I placed in NE russia ready to jump over the mountain range. Genghis capped quickly after taking two cities, then I began my assault on Zara from two sides.

In the south my main army was slow. After taking too many cities and leaving too many defenders behind, the ratio of siege/other units was badly skewed and I didn't have enough units that could actually kill things. I placed my army next to Zaras city, the artillery ripped through his defenses, but with only 11 units in the stack capable of killing things, it took me 4 turns to destroy his stack that consisted of anything from infantry and artillery to chariots and horse archers. Eventually his main stack was destroyed and I took 3 cities in the south.

The northern parabombers on the other hand were very successful, quickly taking his 5 arctic cities and then they worked their way south towards his capital. Zara parked all his airforce in the south, leaving no counters to my bombers in the north. Once Aksum fell Zara had had enough and capitulated.

At this time Darius was still >60 turns from culture while I was missing 5% of land from domination. I pumped up my culture slider and sent the army towards Persia. Victory screen when I was ready to attack:
Spoiler :

If Izzy had capped earlier, like any decent woman should have in her situation, I would have won this already...

Darius was easy, took Susa and one other city on the first turn and placed 20 paratroopers next to Persepolis. At that time AC offered me a brilliant deal:
Spoiler :

How could I possibly refuse? :D

Next turn I took Persepolis and Darius was done.
Spoiler :

Stats and points:
Spoiler :

This was a very long game with lots of land to conquer. It feels like there's less water on a hemisphere's map than on a continents/fractal map even with regular sea level. With low sea level I should perhaps have added still one more civ here as there was plenty of room to grow for everyone (except Genghis...).

I learned some more about later era warfare, in particular I noticed many mistakes in maintaining a good composition of my army later into the war. I should have stopped building cannons a lot earlier and produced more redcoats/infantry. This game also made me research some revolting mechanics and how to deal with that issue. I also learned that I'm still lazy and not quite focused late game. I for example popped a GE and used it for Christo Redentor as I was in State Property and couldn't do corps. But after building CR I completely forgot to do civic changes, for example never adopted Police State. Then I learned that parabomber is still awesome! :cool:

Is anyone playing this on the lower levels? Would be interesting to know how this map feels to a noble player, it is the Noble's club after all! :)

OK. Noble/Normal/NHNE 350AD

Spoiler :

I started with an all-in one city Axe rush to AC and then started peaceful expansion. And there is so much land, the expansion era is still going on. Got 14 cities so far, more than Izzy(7) plus Hammy (6) for now. Built Oracle (CoL) and GLH. Currently on my way to Guild so that I could easily Knight rush the AI with likely only Archers based defenses.

Spoiler :

Feedback for the map: This is not the most food rich map of NC that I'v played. But this map is definitely larger than usual ones. If one expands slow, Izzy can easily get 10+ cities unchallenged even on Noble level.

There was some talk about Churchil being a bad leader, so I dug up an old NC game to fiddle around with him.
This game however, feels abit rigged so I'll go on for more churchill games.

Spoiler T90 :

Had BFC copper, and since JC started off with building SH (which is nice with Cha) I decided to have a go.
While I prepared axes (promoted some of them by hunting barbs) he also finished TGW.
He was boasting about his archers for a long time so I thought he was lacking strategic resources but it turned out he had horses so a few spears had to join in quick.
When he was starting to mine the plains I attacked. Teched alfabet with the golds and got sail+mason+IW for peace, a few turns later he finishes GLH. :D

With a well promoted army, GLH, room for a gazillion coastal cities, this should be a breeze but also abit boring, low sea level is kind of annoying.
Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG

Top Bottom