Nobles Club IV - Frederick of Germany

Or you can simply define to open the WB files with BtS... by some reason sometimes the game install does not define automatically that BtS WB files should open with BtS :confused:

I (and probably you too) open WB saves with something other than BTS quite frequently ;).

1 AD - Much luck with the huts = Major change of plans.

Spoiler :
Sorry about the lack of pics. For some reason, when I hit printscreen, all I get are completely black pictures. I'm guessing it might have something to do with the BAT mod, since that's the only difference between now and when it used to work.

Exploring around some more, I ran into the Americans and a couple other guys. More importantly, I popped a hut for another scout. With two scouts, I probably got to an extra two or three huts. One of those huts popped fishing, which was kind of a waste, since I was only a couple turns from completing it. I got EXTREMELY lucky, however, when a second hut popped Writing for me and a third (!) popped Animal Husbandry. This set off a chain of events as I'll explain in a minute. This isn't really supposed to happen at any level above Warlord.

I went ahead and found Pacal II up to the north. There really isn't a lot of room between where my second city was going and where he is, so I set up a dot map and decided to expand aggressively in his direction when I discovered that the only source of copper was pretty far to my East. My second city went NE of Berlin, and works the cows, horses, elephants and eventually the bananas. A terrific site. Third was scheduled to go to the east of that one, getting lots of nice river and grassland once I cleared the Jungle. I was hoping this would block off Pacal and force him to go east and not come south.

It did not make any sense to spam chariots with my newly discovered horses, since that wouldn't work very well against him. So the plan was to block him.

However, with no need to research either writing or AH, and a lot of jungle to clear, I went ahead and researched iron working right after mysticism and settling my second city.

Well, well, well. Look at that. Iron in the capital city's BFC. Alrighty then. Change of plans. Things were shaping up to be a little shaky diplomatically anyway. The Maniac founded Hinduism. Washington was a Buddhist. Gandhi and HC had no religion, but especially the first one was more than a little likely to found one of his own as well. Most importantly, Pacal decided to found Judaism, which means that my little corner of the world was going to be a trouble spot. There was no shot I could be friends with both neighbors, and of the two, I'd rather have Monty on my side.

Sooooooo, up went the barracks in both cities and then came the swords. I threw in a couple axes at the end and a spear just in case, but mostly I set off to deal with Pacal with a stack of 8 swords for the initial invasion. Lost a couple on the attack against the holy city. It had a lot of culture (he built the Oracle there instead of lots of units) and it was on a hill. The first three attacks were at about 30% odds, and I did indeed lose two out of three. The swords regrouped, now featuring a couple CRII units, and headed for the Mayan capital. MUCH easier time of it there.

We're gonna swing down to the southeast of his capital and raze whatever that city is. Annoyingly, I just noticed another Mayan border popping up in the jungle to the east, so a settler must have slipped after the war started. At least it's on a grassland tile, so that won't take long to destroy.

After that, I'll redraw the dot-map, see if I can pick up some more happy resources, maybe see what I can do to define a safe border with Monty, wait for him to give me religion, and then probably see if I can make a rush towards code of laws.

I imagine I'll probably need to phone in a couple wars for him. Hopefully he doesn't end up making worst enemies of EVERYBODY, since I'd like to have a few trade routes and options open to me.

Up through 1240AD

Spoiler :
Going along pretty well. I was thisclose to having units disbanded due to the Mayan war. Eventually I completed code of laws, whipped out some courthouses and then things were okay for a while. I built a couple temples (Hindu and Jewish) in Berlin and ran two scientists and two priests there. Got two scientists (Academy, Philosophy) and then a Prophet for the Jewish Shrine. Since then, and with some effort to spread the religion, the Economy finally kicked into full gear around 1000AD. I'm in second place in techs now to Gandhi, who amusingly trades with me even though he is furious, and am banging out techs quickly now. I'm taking a dual path between liberalism and chemistry.

The power rating is currently in the toilet, as I've been really concentrating on the economy as well as finally filling all the extra city slots I couldn't afford until now. I also got access to forges and markets and a bunch of wonders all fairly late and am trying to slap them where needed.

Since I lost out on the pyramids (but did get 500 gold on the deal) I'm in Monarchy. The happy caps started to hit right around when I got Feudalism from Gandhi, so everybody got a round of longbows in the queues to shore up the defenses and to pacify the population.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to go about winning this game. I'm Hindu with Monty and HC, and the rest are a combination of two other religions. I've been in wars with Wang and Gandhi several times at the request of my boys. I did build the Statue of Zeus, so I've got that going for me later on. So far, in all of my wars since Pacal, I fought exactly one battle, and that was because I fell one (ONE) point short of a great general from my early war. I walked a single elephant 20+ turns to the nearest Korean city and flattened the archer in it. Heh.

I guess the plan will be to start gearing up for war pretty soon, once my last three or four cities are up and running in the rear. I think I'll try to do something like Cannons+Cuirassiers, but I'm really not sure who or where I want to start. I would PREFER to just take out the maniac, but he'll have so many damn units by then, that I'm liable to be vulnerable to a SoD marching into my territory.

I have looked at some of the other games here now. It is very clear to me that killing Pacal was a huge positive move. I got very lucky.

So my progress todate -

Spoiler :
I decided to settle in place. I love seafood starts :goodjob:

Tech path - Fishing / BW / Agriculture / AH / Wheel / Mysticm / Pottery / IW / Writing / Alphabet

No bronze close to me :cry: but hey we find horses and then Iron :D. So we are good.

I am looking to Rex early on and try to settle as much land as i can.

AI Met – Pacal / Gandhi / Ughh … Monty / Huyana

2040BC – Founded hamburg
1080BC – Munich is founded.

Did not go for any of the early wonders - will have to wait and see. I really dont seem to have much of a plan at this point in time.

and here are some screenshots -

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 77
So my progress todate -

Spoiler :
I decided to settle in place. I love seafood starts :goodjob:

Tech path - Fishing / BW / Agriculture / AH / Wheel / Mysticm / Pottery / IW / Writing / Alphabet

No bronze close to me :cry: but hey we find horses and then Iron :D. So we are good.

I am looking to Rex early on and try to settle as much land as i can.

AI Met – Pacal / Gandhi / Ughh … Monty / Huyana

2040BC – Founded hamburg
1080BC – Munich is founded.

Did not go for any of the early wonders - will have to wait and see. I really dont seem to have much of a plan at this point in time.

and here are some screenshots -

May I suggest
Spoiler :
Kill Pacal. Immediately. With swords. IMMEDIATELY. It worked for me.

Spoiler :
So i've taken JT's advice and started off with the intention of taking out Pacal with Swords. heres what happened -

Start chopping & whipping swords in the capital.
Finished teching alphabet and started on sailing.
Time for some tech trading.
Traded writing with Monty for Archery + Meditation.
Traded AH for Masonry + Writing for Sailing to Gandhi.
We tech Priesthood after trading for sailing and start on mathematics next.
Judaism spreads to our lands we convert for the need of happiness.

150BC – we decide to declare on Pacal, very worried about Monty he’s staying true to form has demanded tribute twice, first alphabet which I refused, 2nd time around fishing which I gave in to.
He’s annoyed at me for religious issues as well as for not giving him tribute the first time. I just hope he does not declare.

The war goes well at the beginning now we are getting bogged down. I need to take one more city before suing for peace.
I convert to Budhism to keep monty off my back.
It works … Monty is pleased with us. We trade Alphabet for Monarchy with Monty.

Ok so we take another city from Pacal and then sue for peace. We also razed one of is cities. He has only 3 cities left and has been severely marginalized.

So at the end of this round things are starting to look up.
Monty is our friend – I still need to watch out for that psycho though + Pacal has been taken care of we will finish him off soon.

Whats annoying though is that Monty is not annoyed at Pacal for some strange reason :confused: I mean they have two different religions, usually thats enough for monty is'nt it? Also I checked to see if Monty is willing to declare on anyone and he has gone WHEOHORN ... maybe he's gonna declare Gandhi. I still dont know where Gandhi is on the map.

My power rating is rather low as i lost a lot of troops. But well worth it. Took Pacal's capital with ease and then took things too easy with the next city and it became a long drawn out battle.

Going into next round need to expand into some of that vacant land to the east as well as build up my army again and need to finish off Pacal.

Attached is the map at 250AD.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 78
Update, late 1600's, decision time on a victory condition. I think I'd like to try for a Panzer driven conquest, especially since the BAT mod makes really cool looking WWII German troops for me.

Also, I finally went back and read what other people did. Boy, this game could go ten different ways if I played it ten different times.

There is still one problem with my plan however...

Spoiler :
And that is that I still need to do something about my Aztec problem. I'll explain in a minute.

Again, sorry about the lack of pictures. This laptop no longer cooperates for me with that function.

Diplomacy was as follows. Remain Hindu, became friendly with HC and stayed at pleased with the maniac. Still in monarchy, slavery and organized religion in the late 1600's, but did switch into free market and free speech, because even though the other civs don't really like me, they still trade with me. As I was gearing up for war, Monty continued to have various battles with Wang, Washington and Gandhi. The last one he took as a vassal right as I was ready to go to war, which was a shame. I could have really smacked the little guy around, and made sure he didn't to any teching for Monty.

I wasn't able to bulb steel from liberalism, a personal favorite maneuver, so I went ahead and bulbed chemistry and then researched Steel on my own. When that was done, in the late 1400's, I mass upgraded about 20 trebs to cannons, assembled a rag-tag team of ground troops to go with them, set a couple cities on Musket duty and another couple cities on Knights, and contemplated who to attack.

As anybody who has played this game knows, it is a bit of a tricky issue. The maniac had a gigantic stack of troops (highly promoted maces, elephants, pikes, cats, etc.) up at the border of America, so he was clearly going there next. The ideal thing for me to do would be to kill Monty while I've got the upper hand, but I just don't have enough ground troops to back up the cannons. So I decided to beat him to the punch and take out Washington's three core cities myself.

Boom, boom, boom. Capitulation. Decide to keep Washington, New York and Philadelphia, mostly because Washington is the Buddhist holy city and is turning a nice profit even half way across the world. I also decide to keep them because it won't be a big deal to just keep going and take out the core of the Korean empire on the same little strip of land.

As I make this update, I left off with two of the five Korean cities in my possession, and him willing to capitulate. I'm going to take all five before I take his surrender. I have to admit, the CGIII protective longbows are pretty annoying. I've actually lost 2-3 cannons, although I've finally got the M*A*S*H unit up and running, so the cannons can heal up and take the remaining three cities much more quickly than the first two.

Here's the deal looking ahead. Korea was very active with the settling of the islands. Almost immediately after I issued my DoW, he spun off one section into Japan, and a turn or two later, he spun off another section to Ethiopia. I have actually just started poking around the islands and am planning to settle at least a couple of them on my own. One has oil, which is VERY important, since the domestic oil source is currently under my cultural control, but it is actually only one tile from an Aztec city that I've been swamping with culture. Also, there are tons of seafood resources available, and I've got the merchant from economics sitting in my future Wall Street city waiting for to found Sid's. (Just popped an engineer as well, and the addition of Mining Inc. is going to level the playing field for the final push against Monty.)

Anyway, I digress, the point is, I will probably hold off on taking Wang as a vassal until I'm sure I've cleared out any of the islands I want to take for myself. The fact that he spun off the other two is a help rather than a problem. I should have no problem dealing wiping them out and either keeping them or making them a friendly colony.

Tech situation: I went ahead and picked up music and nationalism from HC in exchange for (a partially bulbed) scientific method. I then researched Military Tradition for the Cuirassiers to go with my cannons as the unit of choice. It made more sense to go for the faster units, since it was such a long haul through Aztec lands to get to the front lines. After that, researched astronomy (which I did after I got Washington's map in the peace deal and realized that I needed to get over into those islands fast) and then traded astronomy to HC for corporation and some gold. On my own, I'm now about to complete replaceable parts and then I think rifling is a must.

After rifles, it gets tricky. You see, Monty has been stocking up on Grenadiers while I've been running around making vassals of his next two targets. Even with my military build up, he's STILL noticeably ahead of me in power. He's running out of people to attack, and he's "got other things on his hands right now". NOT GOOD. I keep running my troops around looking for that stack, but currently don't know where it is. NOT GOOD.

It is either me or HC on the hit list, and you just can't tell with him. All I know is that once I'm done with Korea, the plan is to run the cannons and mounted troops back to the homeland ASAP. Then, as long as he doesn't declare war on us right away:

-- We'll start building defensive units (rifles, barrage cannons, later infantry), in a couple cities.
-- Research Democracy, Steam Power, Railroad, Biology, Medicine, Assembly Line (maybe not in that order), Artillery, then try to go for Industrialism if possible.
-- Found the two corporations at some point in the process, switch over to the appropriate civics for what will be by then, a fairly decent cottage economy.
-- Also, while all that is going on, make sure to get the remaining national wonders up and running. So much effort has gone into the capture of American and Korea ahead of Monty, that I haven't even built the six universities required for Oxford yet. I also will need to figure out where to put West Point and the Hermitage. (The last one will probably go to help swamp that Aztec city by the oil.)

It sounds like a plan, but it might all go to hell if the maniac shows up at my doorstep before I'm ready for him.

Update 1792AD -- The race to the German Unique building/unit --> Death to the maniac.

Whoa! I just took a look at the Assembly Plant. So let me get this straight: I already knew I get them with Freddy's Organized trait as half price, so 187.5 hammers instead of 375 (on epic), but Assembly plants are also 67% with coal. Does that mean I further discount it to 126 hammers? That's awesome.

Spoiler :
Man, I hate that I can't take pictures, because this game has been really interesting.

So, I went ahead and took the core American and Korean cities and then made both of them my vassals. I also accepted Toku and Zara (Korea's island colonies) as my vassals as well. From there, I sent the stack of cannons and Cuirassiers back home and let the new cities start building some infrastructure. With the Buddhist holy city and a bunch of settled priests in the cities, as a whole, they're turning a profit (once the courthouses were up) at 70% on the slider. I also picked up a couple wonders, but nothing terribly useful. (HC seems to have a monopoly on those. Hmm... Maybe I should take a trip down there soon...)

Around 1750, the world was relatively peaceful place. Monty switched out of Theocracy and into OR, and wasn't preparing for war with anybody. I was still at 0.7 of his power. (He's got a poop-load of Grens and Knights. Way more than I can deal with right now.) Ghandi was Monty's vassal. Julius Caesar was HC's colony. Monty was pleased with me and friendly with HC. HC was friendly with me and with Monty.

Then... after researching rifling, I discovered Democracy. I had been working a LOT of cottages in the homeland, and HC had already gone into emancipation. Not only that, but the fact is, I really wanted to start cranking out the hammers in anticipation of assembly plants and infantry. Infantry will allow me to effectively deal with Grens and Knights.

So, I made the decision to make the major switch into US, Emancipation, and Free Religion. (I was already in Free Market and Free Speech.) However, about three turns before, I started cycling through my cities and whipped out a bunch of stuff. Anything from Libraries and Theaters to Universities. Might as well get in one last round of slavery for old time's sake.

The economy really started to hum now, but that put a BIG dent in our relationships with our Hindu friends. I took a double hit with HC, because he also liked me for being in Monarchy. So the race was on for me to start cranking out a proper army to win this damn game. Next on the checklist was Steam Power. Found some coal directly under an island city (former Barb city) that I kept because it was on the same island as the Oil city I founded. So, that was nice. After Steam power, it was a toss up. I decided to research Railroad first and then Assembly line. The reason was simple.

I had the Great Engineer waiting for Mining Inc, and it looked like Wall Street was going to be completed almost exactly when I would complete Railroad. This meant I could immediately start spamming the Executives and would have at least three other cities with the Mining Inc. hammer boost in place when I was ready to start building the Assembly Plants. It also let me set loose my army of workers, who were just completing the last of the plains forest lumber mills. Oh, and it also let me build a few Machine Guns, just in case.

As of 1792, I'm about 5 turns from Assembly Line. I think it might do me a lot of good to go for Biology and then then Medicine next. Biology will be good trade bait with HC, (he's got physics, and I refuse to give him any war techs that he'll give to Monty) and will let me have more food to feed the immediate health problems the assembly plants. Medicine will let me found Sid's and supercharge the cities to let me run tons of specialists. After that, I guess it will be combustion and then industrialism.

This all sounds good, except for the part about the maniac next door might not want to wait for me to be ready for him.

About 1780, I dropped to cautious with him. A couple turns later, I see that he's preparing for war. I start to get concerned. Then I notice that for some strange reason, Gandhi is no longer his vassal. I'm GUESSING that the war Monty is preparing for is to smack around Gandhi some more. I hate to tell Gandhi, but a bunch of airships are not going to be enough to hold off that SoD the Aztecs are coming after him with. Especially since he's defending his city with muskets.

Other items of note in the 1700's: I sailed around a bit capturing barb cities with my cavalry and then gifting them to whichever one of my vassals the computer felt they actually belonged to. I also targeted three of the northern islands to settle for myself. One has three seafood resources. A second one has Iron, Fish, and an ocean Oil. The last is on the ice, and has a crab and an oil. I am sensing an opportunity to deny other civs oil, so I'm taking it.

As I head into the next round, I'm unclear on whether or not war will come to me before I'm ready. Because of that, I'm starting to use my skyrocketing GNP to upgrade the old city garrison troops to something that might be able to hold off an Aztec strike. (In the last ten turns, I went from +50 GPT at 70% to +195 GPT, which is a direct result of emancipation + completion of Wall Street.) Mostly, I'm looking at muskets to rifles and cuirassiers to cavalry right now. The other options are to speed up research a little, or to stockpile the cash just in case I really need it.

Since the last time I got up to 850 gold in the treasury, Monty came by and demanded 800 of it, I'm kind of down on stockpiling. Kicking the slider up to 80% is barely making a dent in the research time at this point. So it seems like I'm getting the most bang for my buck by doing a little upgrading. To be fair, I could probably swing a stack of 50 units comprised of cannons, cavalry and rifles down into Incan lands and take his butt out of the game right now, but I am reasonably certain that he would have no problem recruiting Monty, and that would be a real problem.

If you are a person who likes to play public games, and you haven't played this one yet, I highly recommend it. Really cool map/diplomacy game.

Monarch/Epic 1816 AD -- UH OH...

Spoiler :
So the situation at the start of this round was:
-- Captured the seven core American and Korean cities on the other side of Monty and made them (and Korea's colonies Toku and Zara) my vassals.
-- HC is friendly with Monty and has J. Caesar as a colony. HC is still pleased with me.
-- Gandhi just broke free from his protection from Monty, and is annoyed with me.
-- Monty has dropped from pleased to cautious with me and went into WHEOOHRN around the same time Gandhi broke free. I'm at 0.7 power with him, but I dwarf everybody else.
-- Gave up on being Hindu and went into the Democracy and "Free" Civics. This is why Monty doesn't like me anymore.
-- However, GNP began to skyrocket, and we quickly researched Rifles, Steam Power, Railroad, and were working on Assembly line.

By about 1800, assembly line was done and we started on biology. Ideally, first the extra food would cover for the jump in pollution as I planned to absolutely spam the German cities with Assembly Plants. The double discount on the build time from being both organized and from having coal made them as cheap as a temple if I am calculating this correctly. Ideally, I could then stave off war with Monty long enough to do Medicine next and found Sids to really supercharge the nation, as well as pump up my vassals.

While we researched Biology, seven or eight core cities started on the Assembly Plants right away. It will take them anywhere from 4-8 turns. There are a couple of cottaged river cities that will also be getting Levees. In one, I'd like to slap up the Ironworks, which had been my plan all along, since most of my other production cities were never going to be awesome like a cottaged river city would be. Also, the plan all along was to go for a late domination over Monty once we could get the Panzers on the map.

In 1808, four turns away from Biology, an Aztec SoD showed up on the Eastern border of his territory, and right on the doorstep of my recently acquired holy city of Washington. UH OH. :help: It's made up of about 60 units, mostly Grens. About 25 of them are upgraded Jaguars, which you can tell by all of the woodsman and city raider promotions.

This was a REALLY good move by the AI and a stupid one by me. I had moved all (all!) of my cannons back to the German homeland to protect it from any Aztec aggression. Therefore, I have no way to soften up that stack. On the other hand, with all of my cannons and cavalry back home, Monty's gonna start losing cities on his western front as fast as he's taking them in the east.

By 1816, I had lost Washington (defended by 6 CG infantry, which put a dent into his stack but not nearly enough to even slow it down; at least I got 60 great general points out of it) and he was heading for New York. I had turned off research for 5 turns, which provided enough cash to upgrade a bunch of rifles and muskets to Infantry, as well as completing any upgrades of old mounted units to cavalry. Research is back on again, and I will complete biology and then reassess the situation. (More on that later.)

I split up my cannons into three groups. Up North are the drill/barrage cannons. They are in little formations with cavalry and either a machine gun or infantryman, and they are beating on the various grens and knights that venture on to German soil. (Did I mention that I build the SoZ back in the day, for just this sort of emergency. Hopefully all that unhappiness will slow his unit spamming ass down a little bit.)

The city raider cannons are in two groups and are sweeping up from the south and heading for his core cities. We quickly took the two southern border cities, and were happy to destroy about 10 airships in the process. Hopefully he keeps building them, as they're a lot less bothersome than are CG Grens as I move into his territory.

It is unclear how much damage I need to do before he turns that big stack around and brings them to where my cannons are. In the worst case right now, he could take all of my American and Korean cities, and I could stall out before I reach his capital and wherever the Hindu Holy City is.

My Assembly Plants are starting to come on line, and soon the infantry will be pouring out of my cities. I'm probably going to still use one city to spam Mining Executives, as each city with an assembly plant cuts a full turn off an infantry build once Mining Inc. joins the city.

The big question I'm dealing with is what to research next? It seems like the best move would be to go for artillery at this point. I've got a lot of cannons, and the ability to generate a lot of cash quickly. Cannons would do some damage to his stack. Artillery would render it impotent.

Ideally, while I go for artillery, HC or Gandhi will research electricity. I'll probably have to wait for both of them to get it, or at least for HC to build Broadway, but I'm pretty sure I can put together a package that included Biology to them in exchange for it. That will be my path into Industrialism. I'm hoping they'll do it for me, but I will have no choice but to start on it myself if it isn't available through trade.

I've also got combustion ready to be researched, which would allow me to beat on his coastal cities and also give me the path into flight. Fighters and the ability to airlift troops would be nice right now, but I think tanks and marines are going to be more important.

It will take a while, especially since he couldn't wait until I was ready for him, but once the Atec homeland becomes part of Germany, this game will quickly move towards a domination or conquest completion. (Actually, as soon as Monty's under control, I'll probably break off some troops and go smack around Gandhi. I especially want the city he just completed Versailles. That will come in handy, given how few actual improvements the maniac built in his cities.)

Ah, finally some pictures for you:

Spoiler :
Well, both unfortunately and fortunately, my game save at the year 1816 was corrupt, so I had to go back and pick it up from 1812. The good news was that this was right before I lost Washington, so I changed my mind and abandoned Washington and had all my troops in New York, Philadelphia and Wonsan fall back to the hill city of Seoul. I then graciously liberated those three cities to Wang Kon. The picture you see below shows my Seoul garrison and the make-up of the Aztec stack on it's way. Should be ugly. I might be able to have a couple cannons in the city by then, but other than that, it is on its own. ::sigh::

Over on his western front, he continues to move small groups of grens, muskets and either a knight or a war elephant into German lands to either pillage or just be annoying. I continue to destroy them with infantry and some sacraficial cannons. I'm wrapping up the assembly plants and am starting to crank up the infantry.

I also used the main cannon stack to capture a couple border cities, raze one down south and another one up north on my way to doing this:

You'll notice, this is going to be a real problem for the Aztec economy. You'll also notice that I'm about to complete artillery. Heh-heh-heh.

Very soon after that, the giant stack of Aztec Grens reached the border of Seoul and gave it a whirl. After losing 26 consecutive battles to my infantry, he turned the stack around and headed back towards Washington. It's still a good 30-40 strong, but he lost all of his city raiders.

I checked in with him, and he's willing to deal:

Hmm, let me think about it. Um. No. I think I'll be taking out a couple more of those nice cities around the Aztec capital first, mostly to relieve the culture, but also to slow down any research projects he's got cooking. I'm kind of confused as to how he got electricity, but I am thinking that it is in my best interests to keep at him for a couple more turns until that big stack of grens shows up on this side of the map.

i botched up my game :mad: .... declared war on Pacal for the 2nd time too soon. I really need to fix that part of my game, i get impatient with the military build up and go in too early.
Anyways, i'm retiring from the game, it was an interesting map though ....

Whew! 1884 Domination Victory:

Spoiler :
Finaly completed this one. When Monty issued his DoW, it really messed up my plans to do away with him quickly with Panzers. In the end, I finally was bringing the Panzers to the party, but infantry, cannons and artillery did most of the grunt work. Finally tally was well over 200 grens+riflemen killed.

As the tanks came on line, and there were only about 4 mainland Aztec cities left, I went ahead and declared on Gandhi, who was losing a war to HC and JC. Seemed like the thing to do, since I didn't want him to capitulate to HC. It didn't take much to make Gandhi my vassal. Immediately after I wiped Monty off of the mainland (let him keep three island cities as terms of his surrender) I declared on HC. He had been researching lots of scientific and media type stuff, and I had been long refusing to trade away ANY military techs even with my vassals. Therefore, when I declared war on him, he had a funny combination of muskets, macemen, cannons and a few machine guns. I took back three Indian cities from him and two of his own, and was bearing down on two ancient Incan cities when word came down that I had won a domination victory.

I'm fairly certain that it was only a turn or two away from conquest, but I think an earlier choice to build the Eiffel Tower must have resulted in a really quick culture spread.

Anyway, very interesting map, very interesting game. Killing Pacal early made the game much easier to win, but nobody containing Monty made for a very long game time wise.

hello all. i don't mean to bump an old thread but after playing on this map for a bit, i was hoping to get some feedback.

after i successfully stomp pacal, washington is easily able to win a diplomatic victory. he and wang kon are best friends so those two votes are usually just enough to squeeze out a win.

any solutions around this? (such as how do i increase the # of my vote or lower the others etc)

hello all. i don't mean to bump an old thread but after playing on this map for a bit, i was hoping to get some feedback.

after i successfully stomp pacal, washington is easily able to win a diplomatic victory. he and wang kon are best friends so those two votes are usually just enough to squeeze out a win.

any solutions around this? (such as how do i increase the # of my vote or lower the others etc)

Votes in the UN are based on population. I don't recall whether vassals can vote against their "owner", but one solution might be to go to war with one of those civs and try to vassalize it. You might have to be ready to deal with both, but you can defend against one while you beat on the other with a modicum of planning and luck.

I take it that the other civs are out of the game? I just finished this game last night with a domination victory, with only Wang remaining in the game and independent.

is the apostolic palace vote based on pop as well?

no, the other civs are still around but they end up abstaining

In this game, I think my solution would be to befriend Monty and see if you could get him to get into long, ugly wars with one or both of those two guys. Eventually with Pacal's land, you'll be able to race ahead in the technology race and then you can just start capturing American and Korean cities. They won't have enough votes if they don't have any cities.

is the apostolic palace vote based on pop as well?

no, the other civs are still around but they end up abstaining

The AP vote is based on pop, but only cities with that religion count.

If the vote is going against you due simply to George and Wang, you'll need to take down one of them to win. Trade something to Wang to get 10 turns of peace, and then nail George.

Top Bottom