Nobles' Club LIV: Peter the Great of Russia

Played it on Prince/Normal,no events, normal game. (i know i said i would do epic but i changed my mind about the speed at the last second)
Spoiler :

Thoughts about start; i settled on the stone for the extra production.
975BC
Tech path: BW>Wheel>agri>AH>Mys>Masnory>fishing>Writing>Pottery>IW>Alpha>med>Aestethics>Lititure(for GL)>COL>Construction
Builds: Worker>Warrior(X2)>Worker>Settler>Warrior(X3)>Settler>Henge>GW>Workboat (X2)>Mids(for rep) Warriors>Settlers.
I managed to claim two cities between Hatty and Pacal, the gems city and the spices/corn city. There culture was annoying my though so i decided to build up for war against pacal
AI's met: Pacal: 36400BC
Hatty:3400BC
Issy:2240BC
Gilgamesh:1960BC
Washington:325BC
Vicky :200BC
Wang :200AD
Mansa :820AD
my plan at 580AD was to build up swords/axes/cats and go after pacal. There was also religious hate in the world between issy (Buddist), Pacal and hatty (hindu) and the rest of the world who were jewish. I converted to budism for awhil until judaism spread to me. Hatty founded hindu, mansa founded judaism and issy founded budism. I managed to get confu from COL but did not convert.
tech@ 580AD
Diplo:The shot taken was before i converted to judaism.
I managed to get lib and cap Pacal leaving him with three cities. I then preparde for a war against hatty who had just capped issy and mansa for a short time until he broke off and decided that i was better than hatty. At this point i was friendly with at least 3 AI's (I think giggles, mansa, washington and vicky). I built up my stack of cossacks and cannons and upgraded all my city raider axe and swords to rifles. I built a bit more seige and DOWed on hatty and issy. I prepared several rifles to defend my border cities that were next to issy while i focused on hatty. I killed hattys main SOD in the first city i attacked and the war was easy afterwards. Issy sent a couple of greindlers at me but she had bigger problems: Giggles(Who capped Wang) DOWed on issy and i had to make sure he didn't cap her as well, so after a few turns i bribed him back into peace. I finished off hatty's mainland cities and left her with one crappy island city. Giggles and his vassel Dowed on issy again and i rushed my stack to capture two of her cities and managed to cap her and hatty. I then teched for Radio>Mass Media i built the UN in 12 turns. I got a UN victory In 1830AD

Stats:Overall i think this was an easy game, mostly because of the editing for the OCC. I think i might do it again withen the next week as my first OCC game.Apologies for the different sizes of the pics, im still getting used to uploading them and photobucket.

Played again on Prince to try for some of the more sensible national wonders like the Globe Theater but I couldn't build it, needed six Theaters... turns out the OCC option isn't on by default :lol:

So, just played in through again, on Noble, normal. Space victory in 1996.
Spoiler :

Bit messy, could obviously have been better. Stupid Pacal II and Isabella keep me at war for about 100 years. I didn't lose anything but they wouldn't give up.

Nobles' Club LIV: Peter the Great
Noble/Normal
4000BC

This is my first OCC game so I stepped the difficulty down to Noble.
Spaceship Victory: 1929

4000BC - Opening tech and build stuff.
Spoiler :

I settled 1N to get the 3rd visible fish. That seemed like an acceptable spot.

Build order: Warrior->(1 turn of barracks)->Work Boat->(3 turns of WB - waiting for city to pop)->Worker->WB(finish it)->Worker->Warrior->Worker->Oracle(Monarchy)->Pyramids->Library->Wall->Warrior->Warrior
Tech order: Fishing->BW->Mysticism->Meditation->PriestHood->Masonry->Writing->Mathematics->Alphabet

I feel like I got good synergy with the tech/build order.
My plan is to have my scout and warriors fog bust while workers chop the forests outside my BFC so I can get oracle and pyramids. That worked out pretty well.

2000BC
Switched to Hereditary Rule.
Traded Monarchy to Isabella for Wheel, Archery and AH.
Hanging Garden->Archer->Lighthouse

1AD
Switched to Representation and Pacifism
I’ve been able to build each wonder I want so far.
Need to check power graphs and make sure I don’t run too far behind.

1000AD
Spoiler :

Got Liberalism (Divine Right)
Need to head to steel and biology to finish up my last 2 national epics.
Then the production techs, then space.
Getting a lot of positive random events :)
It’s interesting to watch Isabella lead the AP. She’s vicious when given that kind of power. Then Mansa Musa decided to switch to Taoism, for a smart guy, that was a really dumb move. Isabella forced us into war with him then vassaled him. I, for one, will NOT be switching religions.

1800AD
Spoiler :

Pacal has settled the tiny island south of me and taken my aluminum and sugar. Ugh. I assume the OCC thing means I can’t take his city I can only raze it, which means he (or someone else) can just resettle. Very annoying. I’ll have to trade for the aluminum (fat chance) or keep declaring on everyone who settles that island. Maybe when Dalamb SIP’d I should have taken the hint. Settling 1N means I exert less cultural pressure on that space. Although it looks like I’ll hit 50k culture in 7 turns, maybe that will help. Hah! it did. After a few turns my culture pushed Pacal off the aluminum and spices.

This was a pretty fun game. I may shy away from OCC in the future though since pressing the next turn button was like being in a Skinner box dispensing heroin. I ended up going to bed too late and was late to work the next morning =p

GreatVassal (I don't think this needs a spoiler)

Why did you Lib DR? What purpose did that serve? Not Islam, because a religion is not all too handy. Not The Spiral Minaret, because that will give you, at most, 6 gold. Trading? You could have picked up a much more useful tech than DR and also used it for trading.

Here's the choice I had when reached liberalism
Perhaps I didn't get the right prerequisite techs to get better choices.

You could have gone for Nationalsim/Gunpowder, as DR is usually the tech avoided every game.

Going for Divine Right sometimes makes sense when going for yet one more religion's cathedrals for a cultural victory, and sometime it can be trade bait, but usually there's something better to do with the beakers.

I agree with GreatVassal that Nationalism and Gunpowder were better choices. In my games I've usually got compass/machinery/optics by that point, so Astronomy is also possible, although in a Pangaea game it's not so important.

Edit: if you knew none of your rivals was close to Liberalism you could also have researched to 1 turn before, then gone for other techs that are prereqs to expensive things you might want. In a warmongering game when I'm ahead on the lib race I sometimes go for steel (cannons) as the lib tech.

@dalamb
Spoiler :
Hatty, I had a DP between her and Mansa. I'm not sure if you can do a PA with more than one AI at a time. when I'm at my other computer tomorrow, I can post the save

edit: here's the save

Attachments

• Pet_Imm_Sta_NC _Nor_Anc_1874-AD_Tem_Hig_Jul-30-2010_11-52-45.CivBeyondSwordSave
    457.6 KB · Views: 99
Noble, Marathon, No Events
Not playing OCC, since I'm still new to Noble and doubt I would manage that.

Spoiler :

Settled in place and quite a while passed until I met Isabella, who has of course founded Buddhism. Soon after, I also found Pacal and Hatshepsut, who are close. Since I'm on a peninsula, I'll have to expand fast or they'll box me in. I also found Gilgamesh, Wang Kon and Victoria but they're farther away.
So I revolted to Slavery after getting my first Settler out and eventually, after meeting Washington in the meantime:

Hatty settled Memphis (Well, I hope it is Memhis) close to where I wanted to settle StP. Too close.

So I go here instead, grabbing Corn and Dye instead of Marble and Copper. A bit of a long-term investment since it's heavily jungled, but since the map is so crowded, I can only take the spot or let someone else get it, there is no delaying.

Novgorod. A very nice spot with coast, but not too much of it, various ressources including Copper, and, most importantly, it blocks the AIs from my Peninsula.

Then, I lose a Warrior who got ganged by a Lion and a Bear in the northeastern Tundra, but I get my starting scout promoted to Medic 1. Nice.

Rostov gets founded. I don't know if it was a really good decision to settle on the banana, but the extra food in the city tile is going to help my early economy, and it allows me to get the Gold and both Elephants.

And I settle this city on the only Grassland tile around. Also, somewhere here I realized that Hatty didn't found Memphis near that Bronze spot where St.Petersburg should have gone, Thebes has just been borderpopping a bit too much and too early. Creative neighbors are fun.

Not exactly 1000 AD yet, but I still think it's a good point for a break and some thinking, because I'm not sure about whether if I should continue my expansion or stop it.
I don't have many city locations left. I could maybe still get one east of Rostov, with nothing really spectacular except for some rice, but not too bad as well. There also is still some space between Novgorod and Mutal, but the only rough location that wouldn't immediately have problems with Mayan culture is a VERY coastal one. Then again, those three Lighthouse+Moai inland sea tiles would certainly make up for the lack of seafood or production there.
Also, what about the starting peninsula? Should I squeze some additional cities in there, and if yes, where and when?

Noble, Normal
Couldn't resist the generous start and gave it another quick try. Thanks @dalamb
BTW, is there any other map in NC series with such juicy start? :bowdown:

Spoiler 1000BC first check point :

Well, Noble. Well, 6 hammer start. Had to be warrior rush then. So I did.
My scout found Hatty's base first, then when counterclock and met Pacal who is closer. Had 6 warriors to be safe for 2 warirors defending. However, Pacal had just 1 warrior defending with a worker. Took Mutal on turn 25. And started serious REX until the check point.

Spoiler screenie :

Thoughts: Hatty and Isabella got pretty good capitals. I should start some kind of mounted rush as another round of expansion. This game should be able to give me a good space win date if I continue to play.

Well, the later city micros bored me. Maybe I'd just move to another fun start?

Nothing as extreme in this game, but the latest NC (Mehmed) has a very generous start comparing with random rolled maps.
Very nice to see that players are still lifting up old NC-games.
We should have some sort of thread where we post highlights or something. :)

Yes.. there is a Gandhi game that is also designed for OCC (one city challenge). I have played that map more than I like to admit.. but something about the OCC format that intrigues me :)
Thx for the "dig up" of this game.. will try it :)

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/nobles-club-clx-gandi-of-india.538441/

Nothing as extreme in this game, but the latest NC (Mehmed) has a very generous start comparing with random rolled maps.

Thank you, guys!

The Mehmed map was a randomly rolled one, no modifications :D. I just had to regenerate the start about a hundred times...

Top Bottom