Nobles' Club XCVIII: Huayna Capac of the Inca

dalamb

Deity
The Nobles' Club series started out as a way for Noble-level (and below) players to improve their game. Most of the original participants now play at much higher levels, so this has become a way for advanced players to help others learn to play better. You can play your own game at any level and with any mod, but it would be nice to comment on the games of other players and give them advice.

Our next leader is Huayna Capac of the Inca, whom we last played in NC LV. Huayna is widely considered among the strongest leaders because of the combination of traits, UB, and UU. The Inca start with Agriculture and Mysticism.
  • Traits: Huayna Capac is Financial and Industrious. FIN gives +1:commerce: on tiles that already have at least 2:commerce:. IND gives +50% production speed for wonders (including National wonders) and gives doubles production speed of forges.
  • The UB: The Terrace, a Granary with +2:culture:. Since many cities need granaries, this is a bit like having a Creative trait also.

• The UU: The UU, a Warrior with Combat I and +100% versus archery units -- a great unit for an early rush at Monarch and above.
And the start:

Spoiler map details :
Earth 2, default parameters. This script gives earth-like maps where everyone starts in a single Old World continent (with some islands between Asia and Australia); there's an empty New World that will fill up with barbarian cities by the time you get there. You can often ignore the world and conquer the old, and sometimes win with an old-world domination.

Unless you're adamantly opposed to reading the edits you might want to check out this set.
Spoiler edits :
Added the wheat 1N so we'd have an agricultural resource.
Spoiler the surprise :
Replaced all late-game resources (aluminum, oil, uranium) in the Old World with early-game ones; you need to investigate the New World if you want them. There is coal at various places in the Old.
Finally, a cut and paste of our standard doctrine:
There are no hard and fast rules here: fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do suggest that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards. You can post as often as you like; here's one suggestion:
  • 4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
  • 1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, where you're thinking of putting cities, etc)
  • 500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
  • 1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didn't, met other
  • continent if applicable, etc)
  • 1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
  • End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)
This is just a guideline. If you're trying to improve your game, then posting more frequent updates, in as much detail as you can manage, is the best way to get suggestions from other players. If you come to what seems like a major decision and you want some advice, post an update, regardless of what game-year it is.

We also welcome players to ask for specific game advice, as we have a number or stronger players who lurk and help out with solid tips, and of course, we help each other. Replies to specific questions should also be in spoilers, with a simple "@" in front of the person the answer is directed towards.

Special Thanks go to Bleys and TMIT, who really made this series a great one, r_rolo1, mapmaker extraordinaire, for his maps in the early days of the series, and all of you for playing.
The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC 98 Huayna Noble" (or Monarch, etc., for higher levels). You can play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.
Spoiler what's up with specific difficulties :
In each scenario file you can select your level of difficulty, but that doesn't give the AI the right bonus techs by itself. Use the Noble save for all levels at and below Noble. The Monarch save gives all the AI Archery. Emperor adds Hunting; Immortal adds Agriculture; Deity adds The Wheel.

For players on Monarch or above, you should add archery as a tech for the barbarians (if you don't, the AI will capture their cities very early). This cannot be done in the WB save file and must be done in Worldbuilder as follows:
Spoiler how to add techs to the barbarians :

1. Zoom in all the way so you can't see the rest of the map.
  2. Use the CTRL-W key (or the menu) to enter the worldbuilder. Avoid looking at the mini-map in the lower right corner.
  3. By default you're in "player" mode (look in the box in the upper right; the icon that looks like a person should be selected). You'll get a drop down menu labeled with your leader's name. Barbarians are at the bottom, so cover the rest of the list with your hand if you don't want to see who else is on the map. Select "Barbarians".
  4. Select the "Technologies" tab in the box on the left.
  5. Find Archery (the arrow head icon; 8th row, 3rd column from the right) and click it.
  6. Exit the worldbuilder.
  7. Zoom out again after the map fades, and start playing.
Spoiler huts and events :
Note: The standard saves have no huts and have events turned off. If you want tribal villages and random events, choose the saves with "Huts" in their names. If you want huts but no events, select the Huts saves and use Custom Scenario to turn on the option that suppresses events.

Attachments

• NC 98 Huayna.zip
    198.7 KB · Views: 412
For the record, you can conceivably Quecha rush easily on Noble as well; it's no less viable than it is when you do it with an Aggressive leader, and in fact it's more likely to be successful since Quechas are still better against Warriors than Archers.

The UU: The UU

I have to agree. The UU is the best UU in the game. :lol:

Definitely planning on SIP and pumping out UUs for a UU rush on the nearest civ. :) Probably on Monarch. I'm at that stage where Prince is too easy but Monarch is almost too hard.

looks like the WB saves didn't make it...

Oh, also this.

Post the file, dalamb! I neeeeeeeeeeeeeed this!

Also, the Inca don't start with Hunting; they start with Mysticism. You could conceivably found a religion here. No idea why you'd want to, but it's there.

Where are the save files?:(

I did that, but figured I'd let him know anyway.

Played "just one more turn" for half the night... but I'm slow so 'only' at about 1700BC :lol:

On Noble, with no huts or random BS.

Spoiler :
Looks like a neat map, but with a nasty neighborhood.
Spoiler :

Started with Animal Husbandry to get the pig spot right out of the blocks, and figure out where horses were, then went straight for Bronze Working, before going for the wheel and pottery. Then Writing and now not far off the Alphabet. Hopefully I can backfill a little, would be excellent if I could get horse archers in the near future.

Have founded 2 cities in my near area, and am trying to find out where to put the 3rd settler. Probably NW to block off Mehmed, and then backfill near the capital with two more cities, plus one or two in the tundraland. At least there is some food.

Have gotten the horses hooked up. Like you can see from the picture, next turn the barracks in 2nd city SW of capital goes online, and chariots follow suit - from there and capital. The hope is to then head straight for Ghengis Khan. He just founded his 2nd city and they're not well-defended right now, but it's on a hill so didn't even try to take it with Queshuas. The odds was laughable.

The other targets are a bit far away, and for once I'll try to not overstretch early on and break the economy's back. But Ghengis Khan has a really nice spot with four (!) food resources, so I'd like to get it one way or another. Just hope proper barbs don't mess me up soon, cause there are animals all over the place. Must have killed close to 10 already.

Not seen Julius Caesar and Boudica's cities yet, but based on where I came across their scouting party I'm guessing Caesar is W-ish of Mehmed, and Boudica SW.

I played this one under my own rules:

1. The so-called New World is a dangerous heresy!
2. We may not settle the New World!
3. Furthermore, no one else may settle the New World!

Here's the write-up to 1540 AD (on Monarch), where the game ended, either by me winning, somebody else winning, or somebody else settling the New World.

Normal speed, No Huts/Events, Minor Spoilers from the Last NC:

Spoiler :
Genghis Khan licked his chops from his hideaway in Malaysia. His people told stories of another warlord who was put to death at the spear by the vicious warlord Shaka Zulu (last week on Noble's Club!) before he could even begin his empire. But there would be no such conquest this time! No, this was, of course, his story, and--

"Mighty Khan! Mighty Khan!" a servant yelled from the border of Karakorum.

"What!?" Khan bellowed.

"There are... well... a bunch of people with clubs here to see you."

Genghis Khan walked outside of his hut just in time to see the Quecha army trampling through his fields of cattle.

"Well, fudge," Khan simpered.

His six Quechas having achieved a near-victory (It came down to the last one since Karakorum was on a hill!), Huayna Capac set to work bettering his land. In between settling his nine additional cities beyond Cuzco (including one in Indonesia and another near the site of Darwin in Australia), Capac found time to build the Pyramids in Cuzco. Owing to his Industrious nature, Capac focused his people's efforts on only the most useful wonders--the Great Library, the Parthenon, the Taj Mahal, the Mausoleum of Maussolos.

As Capac uplifted his people, the other nations of the world were split into factions. The Ottomans of the Middle East worshiped at Hindu altars, while Julius Caesar followed his own Jewish faith. The African nations--Japan, Celtia, and Persia--all followed the Buddhist faith of Boudica. All of these religions found roots in Incan lands, but Huayna Capac remained uncommitted, waiting to see which faith would prove transcendent.

Around the time that Incan Liberalism allowed for the creation of Cuirassiers, a Buddhist Apostolic Palace was built in Persia. Seeing the wind blowing this way, Huayna Capac himself converted to the Buddhist faith and set to spreading it throughout his empire--which remained the largest in the world. Darius held residency, but that hold would not last forever.

In the meantime, fueled by three consecutive Golden Ages, Incan Cuirassiers made a quick strike into Ottoman lands. A quick raid on the border town of Ankara and the Ottoman capital of Istanbul brought Mehmed--whose army was without match prior to the war--groveling to Cuzco on bended knee.

A resolution around that same time sought to call an end to the Roman-Persian War, but Darius knew his days were numbered--he capitulated to Rome. Meanwhile, the spread of the Buddhist faith had removed Boudica's name from the potential list of residents and placed Huayna Capac's at the top. A divided vote--despite Persia's decision to bow to Rome--would still fall to Darius. And besides, Boudica had begun to seek the secrets of the sea, a practice Huayna himself considered forbidden.

Cuirassiers and Cavalry tore into Celtic lands, striking at the border towns before capturing Bibracte and the Buddhist shrine. Boudica, seeing that her game was lost, retreated to her new palace in Australia, conceding control of her lands to the Inca.

Boudica's support, however, was not enough to clinch total control over the Apostolic Palace. A vote for Supreme Religious Leader was possible, but neither Capac nor Darius could achieve victory. One more victory would need to be won. The backwards Japanese would need to have their pitiful military crushed.

The Buddhist nations of the world--save for Persia--were now under Incan control. But Boudica's explorations had led her to another continent, one ruled by barbarian people. Huayna Capac needed a mandate not just to rule over the Buddhist nations, but to see to it that no nation would seek the secrets of Astronomy. He had but two ways. He could conquer the remaining nations of the world... or he could establish total dissolution of all world governments through the Apostolic Palace.

Huayna Capac chose... both.

It was done, and not a moment too soon. Boudica, for continuing to seek the secrets of Astronomy, was executed by firing squad. Darius, for his presumptuous construction of the Apostolic Palace, was executed by firing squad. Mehmed, for denouncing the Buddhist faith and converting to Hinduism, was executed by firing squad. Julius Caesar, for being a jerk, was executed by firing squad. Tokugawa, for purposes of completion, was executed by firing squad. Today, all mandates of the Buddhist faith are conducted at the Kremlin in Cuzco, where Lord Huayna Capac rules with an iron fist. The people of this continent--his continent--cannot seek new fortunes in the distant ocean, far from their master's purview. The terror of Huayna Capac continued into eternity as a dark shadow fell over the land...

Thanks for the map, dalamb!

:lol: Love those rules! Looking forward to reading the write up after I play the map.

Who Hoo! Hayuna! One of my favourite leaders, sigining in for a fun game on Emperor! Go Quechas 's Go!

Monarch is not my comfort level but HC is a step-up kind of guy. Opening thoughts? Cue the Quechua queue. The first two techs will be Mining & BW for sure.

Immortal normal, no huts, no events until 775 bc

Spoiler :
Tech went AH, mining, road, bw, pottery, Horse back riding, hunting, archery, writing, mathematics (traded math and HB for Alpha) now researching currency

Mehmed looked weak, so HA rush, just took his capital 775 BC.

I will mop him up. Building library's in some of the more "important" cities to get my research up. Not a lot of great land around for cottaging, so I am going to be a production monster and cottage up the capital to win lib and then currisar rush everyone. WTF is going on w/ J.C.?

I will have Machu Pichu work some cottages for Tiwanuka and I need to settle some more cities close to capital to help work cottages as well.

Tech screen: Like I said, wtf is up w/ JC?

Top Bottom