1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobody ever wages war!!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by djenghis, Dec 8, 2005.

1. djenghis

djenghis Warlord

So i conquered Japan, and now i have a lot of cities. Which allows me to speed up my research very fast, more production of military units,etc...

So now the other civs are no competition towards me anymore. This is a serious gameflaw. btw i downloaded harkonnen's patch: no more ctd's!!!:)

2. Exavier

Exavier Destroyer of Worlds

Try playing a game with Aggressive AI selected... it will change your mind quickly... as well as your playing style.

3. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

Not to mention also, the AI actually does take some things into consideration. They are not going to declare war on you until the appropriate time if at all. When they have and army at your front door they are confidant about, they will declare war but until then. Its up to you to do it.

4. Exavier

well with that option on I have had 5 wars (9 civ Island map) before i even had Galleons! Its actually a pretty evil option imo. Though i love it :p

5. djenghis

djenghis Warlord

The japanese did had a very weak army. Weakest of all civs. The problem is that e.g. the egyptians don't wage war with the aztecs. If they did, conquered extra land, then it would be very difficult to win indeed. If i turn on agressive AI will the AI's amongst themselves wage more war, or just on me?

6. Exavier

oh they go to war with everyone including eachother... usually by the time friends are called in you will usually end up with world wars if everyone is in close proximity.

You can still tell they have some diplomacy between eachother but you will definatly see sides start forming and I have seen an AI completely eradicate another one with this option turned on :p

7. Ravinhood

Ravinhood Warlord

Ummm there is an option also called "Always WAR", try turning that one on if you want a wargame. Too many people want civilization to be a wargame and it's called CIVILIZATION for that reason to get CIVILIZED, you don't see major wars razing all over the world anymore, it's about PEACE and HARMONY and the USA controlling the world now. ;)

8. joasoze

joasoze Warlord

You need to increase the game difficulty to get some competition. In my last game 4 civs were wiped of the map. Lots of wars and I was not involved inn all of them. I wiped out noone.

:viking:

9. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

Yes, over the last few weeks playing CIV I have definitely discovered a formula for winning now, at least on Prince level. The AI's lack of warring means they all build up equally-sized empires and maintain a good tech pace. This procession continues on to the Space race. Any skirmishes between two tends to knock them out of the running.

As a result, what tends to happen is the human player can then decide on when to enter wars with these mid-sized AI civs. Being able to decide means we can then prepare adequately for the war making the war shorter and more decisive in its outcome. Once the human has obtained a larger empire, they can catch back up on tech due to having more cities and essentially bully the remaining civs on the way to victory.

I'm interested in trying this "Aggressive AI" option, as IMHO what CIV really needs is some AI civ inequality, which is independent of the human player's actions. In all games I've played to date the AI civs are always of a fairly generic size, have a generic tech pace and tend for the most to remain relatively peaceful. Skirmishes do break out, but like many have pointed out these tend to be pillaging wars which only serve to slow each other down. It used to be in earlier Civ titles that warring civs would produce a clear victor, which at the end of the war would be more dangerous and threatening to the human player's chances of victory than before. Getting them to make peace with each other would be desirable from the human player's perspective.

In CIV it tends to be the opposite - since the AI is naturally geared to avoid conquest wars, the standard inter-AI "pillaging" wars only really serve to slow both warring parties down in the tech race. Getting them into wars is therefore order of the day for the human player!

I presume "Aggressive AI" will mean more AI-AI conquering, more AI civ inequality and therefore represent a greater challenge and variety to the human player? I also imagine the tech race will be slower all-round as civs will be less likely to avoid warfare for the entirety of the game...?

10. Yusaku Jon III

Yusaku Jon III Chieftain

I think most of the replies to this thread summed up what I was about to say, but even on the Warlord level game, you're going to have AI civs at war with each other. Thing is, it could take some instigation by you...

On one recent game, I was playing a huge continents map and had the northeastern portion of a large north-south oriented landmass of which Louis' French held the southern end opposite the jungle belt. The Spanish had territory on a separate landmass connected to mine via a broad land bridge to my west. I'd already established contact with Louis and things were going along smoothly by the time Isabella contacted me. So I ask her about Louis...

Izzie called him 'Windbag'.

Next, I asked Louis about her. His reply?

To paraphrase, "She has her uses." I presumed that everybody was getting together for a little Kumbaya.

Wrong. Later on, Isabella asks me to join in a war against France. Whoa, I better check this out. By then, it looked like lots of French cavalry were rolling up through my territory to the west (Louis and I had an Open Borders treaty going). Not wanting to be a part of any war until I knew what was going on here, I bided my time and waited for Louis to contact me. When he did, he asked for my assistance, to which I gladly complied, now having musketmen and macemen in my army.

Therewith, France had a mercenary army backing up his ongoing war against Spain...

The object lesson of this is that one way to get the feel of Civ4 war is to side with an AI in its ongoing war against rival AI.

11. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

The thing is, it isn't easy to capture those cities; and the war will take up a lot of resources. In the mean time, other players have the chance to build their forces, or their technology. A war is a gamble; sometimes even when you win, you really lose. I don't think the gameplay is flawed in this way; if you find you are conquering the AI too easilly, just turn up the difficulty level.
    By the way, this 'conquest snowball' effect has been reduced a lot since Civ3.