Nomad Civilization

Posted something similar in ideas a bit earlier but it seems like less people are there so I've decided to make this more into a discussion. Question: could a "nomad" Civ be possible for modders to code? Would it work well with the current state of the game if it was added? Feel free to share your views on this.

It's kind of fun to think about. I think first you'd have to come up with the logistics before you try to see if it's doable in the code.

One idea:

- Nomadic Civs can only build a Settler variant after founding their Capital City
- Once this Settler variant settles a new city, a Trade Route is sent from the Capital to the new city.
- Over the course of it's journey, the Trade Route slowly transfers Population from the Capital to the new City B. If this Trade Route is pillaged, it grants the pillagers a Settler unit.
- Once the Capital reaches 0 Pop, the Trade Route ends and City B the new Capital

This one is sorta fun, because it allows you to turtle population, then send out several nomadic settlers at once. Having visual migrants on the map is also kind of intriguing.

Couldn't that special scenario where you play a horde from Civ 5(4?) be rigged/transferred into 6?

It would all depend on whether it is possible to destroy the player's original capital city. In civ5 as I recall this required a custom version of the dll, and for BNW did not work well as I recall because of the way the Domination Victory was re-implemented (holding original capitals).

If it isn't possible to destroy the original capital city via some lua method then it would not really be possible to create a nomad civ. TBH I haven't experimented around with destroying an original capital city for civ6.

Is it possible to make sure the starting city doesn't have a Palace? Technically you might never have a Capital if that's doable.

Actually you know what would be fun? If nomadic entities played the game more like a turn--based .io game. It might be worth researching the current state of .io games and see which ones have decent strategy, theming and feasibility to port to Civ VI.

The only I really know are tanksmith.io and agar.io so I'll appreciate other people's thoughts on the matter.

Is it possible to make sure the starting city doesn't have a Palace? Technically you might never have a Capital if that's doable.
Code:
Capital="true"
is likely bound-up within the DLL to a player's starting city, but might not be.

It might work the way it did in Civ5 where you could move your capital city by constructing a building that had Capital="true" in it's XML definition. Although you then needed additional code (generally lua) to cure all the oddball results with the Palace being in the wrong city this could cause. The civ5 DLL still auto-designated and handled the issues with capital moving to a new capital city if the original capital was captured. But none of these methods resulted in an original capital city being 'removable' without a custom DLL.

Top Bottom