1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nominations to head the Office of the Foreign Ministry

Discussion in 'Team Epsilon' started by fe3333au, Mar 3, 2006.

1. General_W

General_W Councilor & Merlot Noble

Actually, I’ve been thinking about that.
    I plan to revive it here soon – but I think that the whole “score tracker” thing is more effort than it’s worth.
    With the game getting more complicated, it’s going to be harder and harder to tell what’s going on just from the score.

What WILL be useful is as we meet nations I can keep track of their technologies, cities, and watch for international trading. Right now, Piffle is the only one we can keep close tabs on, but that will probably change here soon.

So - my plan at this time is to bring the CIA thread back – but with a more narrow focus.
    What do you think of that?

2. Memphus

Memphus Deity

I am all for that.

To me the score tracker served it purpose :goodjob: , we pulled of a CS slingshpt in multiplayer :eek: (I am still amazed that we did this :D )

So any CIA thread now would be beneficial

3. gbno1fan

gbno1fan Emperor

The nomination period is now closed.

Due to lack of competition, the Head of the Office of the Foreign Ministry for Term 5 is General_W.

4. General_W

:woohoo: (10 char)

5. gbno1fan

gbno1fan Emperor

We are now on turn 15 of the current term.

Nominations for the next elections (to take place during turns 18-20) are now open.

Please post your nominations for the Head of the Office of the Foreign Ministry in this thread.

6. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Ends With A Double U

and commands great amies.

General_W!

7. General_W

Thanks Memphus!

I don't think it's a secret that I like this job… so I'll be happy to run again.

Hopefully everyone has been happy with the way I've run this department the last several terms!
    But I don't want to discourage anyone from running against me – a battle of ideas is always a healthy thing in my opinion.

:salute:

8. gbno1fan

gbno1fan Emperor

Due to lack of competition, the Head of the Office of the Foreign Ministry for Term 6 is General_W.

9. lost_civantares

lost_civantares [Insert Title]

It's time for nominations!

Please post your choice for head of the Foreign Ministry.

Polls to be posted if needed on turn 18 of the current term.

10. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Go General Go!

The relationships are off on a good foot, I feel it best to keep the same face :)

11. General_W

Thank you Mr. President.
    I accept. :salute:

My job is becoming a fair amount of work – but I really enjoy it.
    We're in a very critical time for diplomacy, and I love being a part of it.

Here's my Campaign Platform:

Continued Detailed Updates
    Not only will my turn updates continue, but I'll continue to refine them based on team suggestions and my own on-going analysis of how I can present those reams of information in the most concise and intelligible way.
    I hope people have found them to be useful and informative.

Balanced Approach to Diplomacy
    As much as possible, I'll continue to offer all formal team letters on our forum for at least 24 hours for comment from the team before I take any action. However, there are times in diplomacy where speed becomes a major concern. In those cases, I will negotiate and makes deals to the best of my ability and in keeping with the sense I have of the team's position.
    Thus, I'll continue to try to balance seeking maximum input with still keeping our diplomacy on track and moving and doing everything I can to avoid losing a deal due to being too slow.

Aggressive Pursuit of Trade Deals
    Since we are, and have been, the unquestioned score leader in this game, that puts us in a precarious international position. We are at grave risk of becoming a rallying cry for those who would like to unite the bloodthirsty in a war of conquest. (Or short of that, just an alliance to exclude us from trading technology or resources).
    To prevent that – it is very important that we build the kind of relationships with at least 1 or preferably 2 foreign powers where they feel that they have much more to gain from trading with us than they do from fighting us. This may require making some deals that might not seem in our immediate best interest… but is far better then ending up on the wrong side of a 4 vs. 1 world war.
    Even though I'm ready and willing to make those kind of self-sacrifice trades when I think it would be beneficial to building an alliance… that's NOT where I think negotiations should start. As DaveMcW as calculated for us – at 40% gold to beakers and 80% beakers to beakers – Epsilon still comes out ahead on any deals. I'll use that as my baseline – try to negotiate for deals even more in our favor, hit those benchmarks when necessary, and only go below them when it appears vital to preventing an anti-Epsilon faction taking power in our rival's government.
    I'm also a very big fan of the multiple-trade deal, where we try to trade each advance we get to as many people as possible – plugging the secondary market and bringing home maximum trade benefit to the Golden Halls.

Generally, More of the Same
    I've been serving as Chief Foreign Minister since term 2 now, so I think everyone is pretty well acquainted with my style. I hope it's not considered bragging to say that I'm pretty proud of what we've accomplished diplomatically in that time. Of course, this wouldn't have been possible without all the great feedback from this wonderful team. A very special thanks to all who have contributed so far.
    If elected, I promise to continue things much as they are now, and hope all of you will continue to speak up as much as possible.

Epsilon Forever!
    Forever Epsilon!

:salute:

12. lost_civantares

It seems that we get a fair amount of useful information from chats, would those be something we could do more of?

13. General_W

I certainly like to conduct chats – and I agree that they are tremendously useful - but there's just a couple problems.

1) They can be very hard to arrange. With my work, and marriage, and work for my church, and baby on the way... It's hard for me to set aside all the time needed for even just 1 chat.
    I will do my best to have them as much as possible - but it will have to be on a mostly chance basis. :sad:

2) It limits team input. In order for a chat to be really a success I have to make snap decisions on what to reveal / what not to reveal and how much to offer vs. how much to hold back, etc. I hate leaving the team out of these key discussions. I understand we can always come back later and just disavow whatever I said, but I think that destroys confidence in our good-faith bargaining. I feel more comfortable conducting a chat when I know I’m on firm footing with where the team would like to go… so I can do my best to negotiate in that direction.

Neither of those reasons are sufficient cause for neglecting chatting as a vital avenue of diplomacy… but I hope it helps you understand why I view them as being of more limited use.

If more people would like to speak up and say that the REALLY think I should be doing more chatting, I will certainly look to cut back on some of my letter writing in favor of trying to track down people on Instant Messengers. :)

EDIT: Another long-winded response to a short question! :lol:

14. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

I find it truly amazing that you find the time to do anything at all for the team, let alone writing all the well-crafted letters that you do... :eek: Great job! :goodjob:

(Sadly, I'm extremely busy at the moment and don't have the time to participate much in any discussions, as you've probably noticed. :sad: Here's hoping that I will have more time to spare again soon!)

-Kylearan

15. lost_civantares

Welcome General_W to the rights, responsibilities, and paycheck, of Head of the office of the Epsilonian Foreign Ministry! May you snatch peace from unwanted war, information from the jaws of those least expecting it, and huge tributes of gold in exchange for little else then your wonderous speaking typing ability... :mischief: :D

You are now the minister for the entirety of term 7. :goodjob:

16. General_W

[party] Hooray!

First of all, I'd like to thank my gracious opponent in this race... :mischief:

And Thanks Kylearan - I hope we see more of you around the boards in the coming months also! I always enjoy your well thought-out feedback.

17. gbno1fan

gbno1fan Emperor

We are now on turn 19(!) of the current term.

Nominations for the next elections (to take place during turns 20-21) are now open.

The next term will last from turn 142 until turn 160.

Please post your nominations for the Head of the Office of the Foreign Ministry in this thread.

18. Memphus

Memphus Deity

cough cough General_W :king:

19. General_W

I accept. :salute:

But with my baby girl due any day, my attention to my post may suffer a bit. I feel good with where we're at diplomatically – so if someone wants to take my place, I'll gladly step back into a supporting role for a while.

20. gbno1fan

gbno1fan Emperor

Due to lack of competition, the Head of the Office of the Foreign Ministry for Term 8 is General_W.