Nominations to head the Office of the Humanities

fe3333au

Deity
This will be the thread where nominations for all future elections to head The Office of the Humanities will be discussed.

5) The Office of the Humanities

A) The Provost
- The Provost is the head of internal team activities and record keeping.
- The Provost is responsible to run and oversee all elections and election nomination threads. He can nullify any polls with excessively biased language, and open a re-poll with more neutral wording.
- In the event of a tie in the election of the President, the Provost casts the deciding vote.
- The Provost is also responsible for chasing members who have not turned up or have gone missing without notice, updating our team membership tally and in conjunction with the team, extending an invitation to potential new members.
- The Provost is in charge of all the following departments and may run them as he sees fit, including appointing any citizen to run the department in his place. Any departmental disagreements will be settled by the Provost.

B) Department of Nomenclature
- Run by the Provost or an appointee of the Provost.
- Responsible for naming all units and cities (and any team landmarks).
- Responsible to maintain the “Department of Nomenclature” thread and to allow discussion of any names.

C) Department of History
- Responsible for keeping track of the “big picture” sweep of team happenings for posterity.
- Responsible to maintain the “Department of History” thread to aid new comers and future generations to quickly get up to speed on where the team is at, and how we got there.

D) Department of Elections & Oversight
- Responsible for opening nomination threads on turn 15 of each term
- Responsible for opening elections polls on turn 18 of each term
- Responsible for ensuring no cheating or un-fair play takes place on the team

Good Luck to all the candidates going for the Provost :goodjob:

I am hereby nominating myself for this position.

As Provost, I will be committed to building team unity by encouraging friendly discussion, creating a thread for off topic discussions and RL announcements :coffee: , and will build a system for recording the team’s history and nomenclature.

I intend to appoint a team member to head the Department of Nomenclature, and possibly appoint team members to assist in the Departments of History and Elections & Oversight.

Team strength is critical to being successful in a multi-team democracy game. We must remain committed, and encourage all members to stay active. As Provost, I would send out weekly updates from the gmail account to all members, and encourage those who are not active to become more so.

It would be a pleasure to serve the team as Provost, and I look forward to being a part of this wonderful team!:salute:

I nominate gbno1fan to be our Provost!

oh... er... someone beat me to it! :mischief:

Platform looks good gbno1fan!
:goodjob:

What qualifications will you be looking for in the person you appoint to head the department of Nomenclature?

I will be looking for a person who is organized (to run the thread and lead discussion), but is also very creative.

Creativity is essential to coming up with good names, and can help build a storyline to go along with the team's history.

I will be committed to building team unity by encouraging friendly discussion

This has all the trappings of the establishment of a 1-party system.... I'm watching you, GB - so watch your step ;)

Peter Grimes said:
This has all the trappings of the establishment of a 1-party system.... I'm watching you, GB - so watch your step

Rest assured, Peter - by "friendly discussion" I mean healthy debate - anything short of insults/flaming. I'll always encourage at least 1 person to play devil's advocate. I may even find a way to make that an official position. :)

I like that idea - The Devil's Advocate!

Don't get me wrong: I'm not against a 1-party system, per se. But if it winds up that way, I want to make sure everyone understands. We'd have to consider changing our name to "People's Democratic Republic of Epsilon" :)

Hmmm ... I'm interested in this position as it does not require cIV.

Reasons

I see the first 20 turns as crucial for team unity and to foster inclusion of as many members as are willing to be active at whatever level.

Also the forum should be easy to navigate ... i've sort of started on this ... but with input it can only get better.

I'm also active in welcoming and chasing new members.

Already started the Nomination process ... so I guess I have already shown what my provostship would be like.

Ideas on Naming
Also I like the idea of naming stuff (well through a system of polling options) and getting a system where unit names have a common thread to make them easier to identify ... and don't get me started on being able to name landmarks ... <quick pass my powders I feel an attack of the vapours comming :crazyeye:

Towns ... which maybe would be good for everyone to submit a couple of options that we use in say order of joining ... but capital would be polled and inputted by all (although I believe that cIV has less towns so this could of course be looked at)

Workers ... named after team members in order of joining (and turning up) ... as we are all toiling united for Epsilon :salute: (this will give us an ownership over the game) ... excess workers would first be named after those who went missing in action and then ... whatever we feel like (or next Provost decides)

Just Ideas ...

May the best candidate win :)

EDIT ... if you click on either Zombie or Harriet links in my signature ... it will show the sort of creative edge I can get into me when inspired (especially the latter ... which is a SG, and I have a different leader personality for each of the 3 turns I have taken)

In the hall, the band quiets down, :band: and the speaker :viking: welcomes the candidate, gbno1fan :wavey: ...

"Well, let's get started with the electoral debate."

Response to fe's reasons & opinions:

"I agree that fe has done an excellent job of opening up the nomination threads, and setting up the overall design of the forums. :goodjob: When talking with him a few days ago about how he should go about doing it, I was pleased with his suggestions, as they were quite similar to what I envisioned. I had hoped to create a separate sub-forum for each ministerial office, but I'm not sure if the admins would have approved it. I also would like to try to encourage the admins to create chatrooms for each team and the UN - the code is not difficult to do, and I believe it would greatly strengthen the forum.

"As for already doing Provostial things, I have set up the team's email, and have been working on setting up a contact list to use for my weekly updates. :coffee:

"On naming - it is critical to develop a system now for naming our units. We must include the type of unit in the name, and have a creative name to go along with it.

"I love the idea of naming landmarks. These create a specific flavor to our team, and foster the development of great background stories. :ninja: :king: :queen:

"I do not believe in the "everyone submit a city name" concept. :thumbdown: Cities should not be named in a specific order. A city name is derived from the area upon which it is founded. As Provost, I will use the settlement plan from the other officers to encourage team members to suggest names - based on the specific settlement location.

"I agree with fe on workers. I must say that it was encouraging when I joined MIA and had a worker named after me before I even posted in the thread. This is one sure-fire way to get new members involved from the get-go. :thumbsup

"Fe certainly has a creative side to him, and I would encourage all to read his Harriet SG - I admit that I am a lurker myself." :smug

New Brainstorming
"I thought I'd throw in an idea I had this afternoon. I now have the ability to create pdf's at work, and am thrilled to create a system of historical recording. :old: I will have a specific thread on the team's history, and will create a pdf for each term, detailing all the people who served as officers, and all important historical information. This will allow new team members to have a specific place to go to get readily available information to catch up quickly, enjoy the creativity and excitement of prior turns, and witness the distinct flavor our team will provide.

"I thank you all for your time. May God bless you. May God bless Epsilonia."

At this, there was a sudden hush of confusion in the crowd :confused :twitch :dubious as the people did not know who this "God" was. But that quickly turned into a chorus of cheers :cheers and support :yup :rockon :salute :clap :hatsoff :worship :thumbsup :) :D and the band played on. :band

Note: Apparently I went a little overboard on the creativity. There's a limit of 12 images/smilies per post - I had 32 originally, so you'll just have to imagine at the end. : o )

It seems that my esteemed opponent and I share similar visions ... so in order to sort the Gold from the Iron ;) we must delve deeper into our respective personalities.

I guess it comes down to the wisdom of age vs. the unpredictibility of youth :yup:

It reminds me of a tale told by one of our wise sages ... whom I might hasten to add, is a childhood friend.

So speaketh Hu Wee Yu
There were two bulls, a young frisky one and a wise old father of many ... they were both standing on a grassy hill ... the young one was staring at the cows below, while the old father was contemplating the heavenly meanings ...
"Oh Wise Father, shall we not run down and spread our love to the herd below"
At first the Old Father answered not and continued to chew the fresh grass, then swallowed and bent down to take another bite.
"Oh Wise Father, did you not hear me for I am full of energy and eager to be at the herd"
"Patience young one" ... and again another bite of grass.
As time went on, the cows continued to call up to the bulls.
"Oh Wise Father, do you not hear the call? ... If I do not run down now I will burst! ... I feel mighty and think that I can mount a dozen!"
Finally the Wise Father looked at the eager youth and said ...
"You feel that you must run down now and have your way with a dozen of the cows below? ... If you are so impatient go now! ... and go fast! ... While you do, I will eat a little more and wander down at my own time ... and while you lay down exhausted, I shall satisfy them all !!!"

I think we can all see where the great sage was comming from :cooool:

I stand (or should I say sit) for the tradition of the tea ceremony ... while my young friend is one to take and run with the bean of the coffee plant :goodjob:

Actually, this will be a very tough choice, indeed! Both of the candidates have proven themselves (in my eyes, at least) to be satisfactorily qualified.

Right now some of the biggest decisions this officer will make will have effects that last through the whole game. I'm wondering if there is some way the candidates could show the voters an example of their handicraft.

Fe3333au (also known to some as IronGold, a.k.a. Feaurius) has pointed us to a couple of links in his signature: Zombie 1, and gmaharriet01

GBno1Fan - have you a sample? Maybe a sample of the pdf you'd generate on a mythical neighbor, Team Zeta?

Another thing that might help, is if the candidates hunt down a screenshot of a cIV city or map, and label their hearts out, so that we can get a feeling for the flavor we'll show to the other teams upon first contact. Personally, I'd like to see something that is in keeping with the Epsilon Team!'s reputation for secrecy and manipulation of affairs.

Is 3rd Crusade the only time Fe has lost to C_H?... If that's the case, then it would be more interesting to see Fe compete against C_H for Un Rep!

I don't have cIV ... but I did suggest the capital city name for the cIV Demo Game ... everyone voted ... and it came to pass that it was called Boaring Wallow in honour of a pig resource :lol:

I think I also named a couple of other landmarks ... but got bored with the game ... it is very different to this environment ... and unfortunately it was also a game where someone created 12 new CFC memberships in order to win an election :shakehead: ... anyway I digress.

I hope there are more elections :D

peter grimes said:
Is 3rd Crusade the only time Fe has lost to C_H?... If that's the case, then it would be more interesting to see Fe compete against C_H for Un Rep!
I was being myself. So far that is the only game I have won, I have only lost one only though and many are still to be completed. I just love to bring up old wounds.

I'll be good now. May the best man win and I do mean that literally. ;)

@Irongold, the smiley :shakehead: is now :shake: :shake: This one is just for show.

someone created 12 new CFC memberships

You don't say?!! I thought they had many layers of checks to ensure that couldn't happen. Such politicking is not welcome here, as I'm sure everyone already knows....

I'd still like to hear some Team Epsilon!-specific examples :)

A few things to note here...

First, this very well could be considered a "wisdom of age vs. the unpredicability of youth" but keep in mind that this youth is no immature party honky. I'm an Honors Finance student, and often am considered years ahead of my age group. Also keep in mind that the one who holds the "wisdom of age" is also the one who is constantly referring to his :beer:. (no hard feelings, fe...just digging up the dirt...;) )

Second, I agree that this election (and many of the others this early in the game) will have lasting effects on the game. That is why this election is more about the system and precedents that each individual represents.

Third, my opinion is that the position of Provost needs to be the organized one. He needs to be the encourager of creativity, not necessarily the most creative one himself. That is why I am the better candidate. :smug: I will encourage everyone to become involved in the nomenclature and the recording of history. My pdfs will be a compilation of the history that we all write. The history of a team is not determined by the thoughts of one individual, but is a derivitive of the team's input and actions.

Finally, I would like to announce that I have decided if I am elected, I will ask fe to lead the Department of Nomenclature. His mind is a creative delight that we should not, and cannot, limit.

:bump: Opened on the 3rd March 11pm ... so will close 10th March 11.00pm +10 GMT

So we need any other nominations confirmed by then !!

@ gbno1fan ... looks like time enough for a :beer: ... or three :p

Nomination Period Closed ...

Term 1 ... Head of the Office of Humanities to be decided by an election

Click for Secret Ballot :clap:

We are now on turn 15 of the current term.

Nominations for the next elections (to take place during turns 18-20) are now open.

Please post your nominations for the Head of the Office of the Humanities in this thread.

Top Bottom