1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-Americans: What is the most shocking or memorable thing from your USA visit?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheezy the Wiz, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Chieftain

Yeah, I don't know why we do that. It's interesting that you were called out on it. In Raleigh it's a rare occurrence to say it with regularity after the fifth grade. Teachers here aren't supposed to say anything if you don't say it, so naturally no one says it.

True.

That is normal, My school, however, has the worst football team in the county. They're not really thought highly of.

In NY what I noticed was that the sale tax was included in the price you saw under the item which I thought was neat.

2. really

really Chieftain

I've been to New York City and the Hamptons twice.

A lot of my observations have already been covered like taxes not being included in the displayed price.

New York is very loud.

The Hamptons are very rich.

Seeing crazy people on the street or subway.

Talking to a Texan whose political opinions I could only describe as dickensian.

God everywhere.

Political attack ads (I think they were for the governor of NJ job)

Being asked where are you from? I'm Irish. Yes but where are you from? Ireland.

3. ghostmaker650

ghostmaker650 Chieftain

I'm from North California and let me tell you, the tap water in South California taste absolutely terrible.

And apparently the usage of the word "hella" is considered weird down there :confused:

4. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Chieftain

Well were they asking you to be more specific or assuming you were Irish American?

5. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

I bet the latter. That's such a cute little cultural collision.

6. really

really Chieftain

They were pleasantries in a shop. Edit: I assume he thought I was Irish-American.

I would have assumed that anyone from within the US would have answered I'm from Boston or Virginia or whatever rather than I am Irish-American.

That is another thing that surprised me - I didn't necessarily stand out as a foreigner.

My accent or looks usually mark me out as foreign once I leave this island but I was asked for directions and for advice on which train to take over there. They even took my advice on the train (thankfully I was correct)

7. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

The whole emphasis on high school athletics varies a LOT regionally. It's a much bigger deal in rural america, the south and the midwest. A suburban school in say, CT, is much less likely to really care.

The whole gawking at cheerleader thing is straight out of a 1980s sitcom. Its not really real life, unless you live in some totally rural place in Indiana that never advanced past 1983.

8. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

That really depends on where you are. In some places cheerleading is a competitive team sport which is actually quite athletic. In others, it's just an activity to be involved in. In others, it's the in thing that the popular are supposed to be involved in. Same with football. All depends on where you are.

But that's just highschool. It gets different at college and adult levels. At the non-school level it's more or less an entry level modeling job in many cases, and a few have gone on to successful modeling or Hollywood acting careers.

I suppose it got started just as people showing support for their teams. And over time it became a tradition, no dumber than many other traditions throughout the world.

9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I've had websites try to sell me a multi-flight ticket with ZERO minutes of layover time :lol: On the other end of the spectrum, one had a 14 hour layover in Mexico City.

You lucky bastards! We don't want a EU-type union with the U.S. but we won't our own line ;) Anything but having to wait in line with Spanish speaking people who the Americans are hesitant about allowing into their country.

Not from my experience. You could sometimes get away with 45 minutes in between, but then everything becomes a frantic stress-fest. Who wants that?

I've talked to Californians since I returned, and most told me that nobody tips 20% there.. mostly because the waiters make $9 an hour or whatever.. (or was it $8? whatever the minimum wage is)

Either way I proudly tipped 20%+ using my maple leafs card as to make us Canadians look better.

10. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

Baltimore and Camden would beg to differ.

11. wilycoyote

wilycoyote Chieftain

1) I agree, Baltimore looks like the American answer to Grozny.

2) I once had Austrian chocolate while visiting. It was terrible. I'm not all that into chocolate, but the domestic stuff is okay. Is American chocolate just low quality or is it simply a different taste, for those that hate it?

12. NedimNapoleon

NedimNapoleon Weird Little Human

Austrian chocolate is high quality and really good. I found that American chocolate sucked.

13. madviking

madviking north american scum

They're a different kind of depressing. Baltimore really isn't that bad anyway.

Richmond, however...

madviking shudders.

14. duckstab

duckstab Child of Noble Family

Driving from the Newark airport to NYC does indeed go mostly over swampland, but you're only seeing that one small corner of the state. Drive a few miles off the NJTP and it's a completely different experience.

And I'll still take South Jersey's beaches over the entire tarball-jellyfish-and-mexican-garbage-strewn length of the Texas gulf coast any day.

15. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hershey_process#Classification

And much of the American chocolate contains too little cocoa to be considered chocolate in Europe.

16. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I was only 11 going 12 at the time, so some things I can't remember all that well, but since I was young I will only focus on the good things I remember about the trip. We only went to Hawaii and California, so we did not see much of the country, but of course we went to the big amusement rides, being Disneyland, Hollywood Studios, Knotsberry Farm and Sea world at San Diego. It was in America I found out about Cheerios and I basically had them for breakfast every day while I was in America, since we did not have them in Australia at the time, but since we do now have them I don't have them since they are basically empty calories. We also went to Yosemite National park and it was the first time experienced know, so that was fun, until I found out how hard snow is once it hits the ground. My mum and my auntie had a hard time driving since they weren't used to right had drive and they had bit of a struggle getting to the camp site at Yosemite National park and they were relieved to get there, even though it was very late when we arrived, because we had to take a detour to get there.

Going to Disneyland was fun since while we were there we met up with our Local pastor who was back in America to go back to his sending Churches and at dinner we played a prank on my mother since she order a pie and thought she was going to get a slice of pie, but she got an whole pie, but it was actually quite thin, but it looked huge, so my Auntie and my pastor put all the plates and drinks in front of her and took a picture to show how much she ate.

17. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

That is because much of it is literally a swamp. Would you prefer they spend billions of dollars filling it in and paving it over?

If you want to spend so much time in airports when you intentionally select the flight you would likely be on if you were too delayed to make the connection, I guess that's your decision. But there really is no reason to worry about having to rush to planes anymore. They know exactly when your plane landed and how long it will take for you to reasonably get to the connecting flight.

That will help make up for all those who don't. Many areas that have a lot of foreign tourists now have minimum service charges added to the bills for that reason.

18. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

Exactly what they sound like.

19. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

For those who are complaining so much about American chocolate, do you mean the garbage made by Hershey's and similar companies that is commonly found in cheap candy? Or are you referring to Ghirardelli and the like?

Just about everything in the US is available in different levels of quality which are priced accordingly. It is like trying to compare Busch beer with Samuel Adams or Anchor Steam.

20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

To be fair, everyone in the US who has a drop of Irish ancestry claims to be irish. But the accent should have been the first hint :lol: