1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Non commercial economy

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Strategy & Tips' started by pvt chaos, Sep 25, 2008.

1. pvt chaos

pvt chaos Chieftain

Maybe, I didnt do the math yet on buying something for gold or producing it yourself. But there is something else around the corner, if you can produce it yourself you are not dependant anymore. Why can this be important ? Little example :

One (commercial) game I didnt produce a shipyard to build my own ships, I just bought them (one coastal colony, rest inland). Foolishly I didnt buy a frigate or privateer for defence, and off course here comes this enemy privateer blocking my trade route's and sinking my ships. So, I was almost completely dependant on trade with the motherland, but being cutt off I didnt have the money neither capacity to produce a single ship.

And again, a commercial economy may look nice and rewarding in the beginning but the only thing you will get from it in the long term is a diminishing return. You invest more and more only to get less and less.

2. JohnCataldo

JohnCataldo Chieftain

One problem I've encountered while selling goods to natives is that they just run out of money! Europe has endless cash!

3. pvt chaos

pvt chaos Chieftain

Yes, I would like to have a trade goods for goods option. Like trading 10 guns for 50 cotton. After all, the native's didnt care at all about money or currency, they just not had it.