1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Non English keyboard shortcuts

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Alonshow, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Alonshow

Alonshow Chieftain

I am using a keyboard with the Spanish distribution (I'm Spanish). It looks like many keyboard shortcuts don't work in this keyboard distribution, in particular, those where the Spanish distribution differs from the English. There is a simple workaround: to change the key mapping to an English distribution. However, this is quite tedious, as I would need to keep switching between English for Civ4 and Spanish for other software all the time. Is there a more convenient way?

2. vandermerwe

vandermerwe Butt of many jokes

Just a thought, but does changing the game language to Spanish work (from main screen, options / advanced / choose language)? It'd seem silly to create a Spanish-language version of the game and only have it work with English-language keyboards.

All the game text would then be in Spanish of course, but I guess you'd be fine with that.

3. Olson

Olson Warlord

What does 'distribution' in the term "Spanish distribution" mean?

The Spanish keyboard is a QWERTY with the Ñ replacing the colon/semi-colon and an optional ll key. I just switched from English to Español w/ Alt+Shift to cycle from English to type the Ñ.

This Alt+Shift reconfigures my English QWERTY to a Spanish QWERTY regardless of what labels the keys have on them. Is this what you're saying is a tedious remapping of the keyboard?

4. Alonshow

Alonshow Chieftain

The Alt+Shift shortcut solves it! Thanks, mate!

I was not aware of that shortcut (actually, I had disabled it years ago because I found it annoying and then forgot about it). I was switching languages through the "Text services and input languages" dialog. That was very tedious because I had to remember to do it before starting Civ4, otherwise it wouldn't work.

5. Alonshow

Alonshow Chieftain

This didn't work, but it let me discover that the Spanish translation sucks. I'm back with the English version. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

6. Olson

Olson Warlord

Oh, yeah, that would be tedious. Glad to help.

On WinXP it's Control Panel>Regional and Language Options>'Languages' tab>"Details" button.

It's a fun trick to play on someone, with whom you share the keyboard, to change it to a non-Roman alphabet configuration. Personally, I like Cryllic.