Non English keyboard shortcuts

Alonshow

Chieftain
I am using a keyboard with the Spanish distribution (I'm Spanish). It looks like many keyboard shortcuts don't work in this keyboard distribution, in particular, those where the Spanish distribution differs from the English. There is a simple workaround: to change the key mapping to an English distribution. However, this is quite tedious, as I would need to keep switching between English for Civ4 and Spanish for other software all the time. Is there a more convenient way?

Just a thought, but does changing the game language to Spanish work (from main screen, options / advanced / choose language)? It'd seem silly to create a Spanish-language version of the game and only have it work with English-language keyboards.

All the game text would then be in Spanish of course, but I guess you'd be fine with that.

What does 'distribution' in the term "Spanish distribution" mean?

The Spanish keyboard is a QWERTY with the Ñ replacing the colon/semi-colon and an optional ll key. I just switched from English to Español w/ Alt+Shift to cycle from English to type the Ñ.

This Alt+Shift reconfigures my English QWERTY to a Spanish QWERTY regardless of what labels the keys have on them. Is this what you're saying is a tedious remapping of the keyboard?

What does 'distribution' in the term "Spanish distribution" mean?

The Spanish keyboard is a QWERTY with the Ñ replacing the colon/semi-colon and an optional ll key. I just switched from English to Español w/ Alt+Shift to cycle from English to type the Ñ.

This Alt+Shift reconfigures my English QWERTY to a Spanish QWERTY regardless of what labels the keys have on them. Is this what you're saying is a tedious remapping of the keyboard?

The Alt+Shift shortcut solves it! Thanks, mate!

I was not aware of that shortcut (actually, I had disabled it years ago because I found it annoying and then forgot about it). I was switching languages through the "Text services and input languages" dialog. That was very tedious because I had to remember to do it before starting Civ4, otherwise it wouldn't work.

Just a thought, but does changing the game language to Spanish work (from main screen, options / advanced / choose language)? It'd seem silly to create a Spanish-language version of the game and only have it work with English-language keyboards.

All the game text would then be in Spanish of course, but I guess you'd be fine with that.

This didn't work, but it let me discover that the Spanish translation sucks. I'm back with the English version. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

The Alt+Shift shortcut solves it! Thanks, mate!

I was not aware of that shortcut (actually, I had disabled it years ago because I found it annoying and then forgot about it). I was switching languages through the "Text services and input languages" dialog. That was very tedious because I had to remember to do it before starting Civ4, otherwise it wouldn't work.

Oh, yeah, that would be tedious. Glad to help.

On WinXP it's Control Panel>Regional and Language Options>'Languages' tab>"Details" button.

It's a fun trick to play on someone, with whom you share the keyboard, to change it to a non-Roman alphabet configuration. Personally, I like Cryllic.

Top Bottom